Sponsored

Bronco for high annual mileage with off-road capability…

Quicksilver32

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hi All, I’m looking for a new vehicle for work (agribusiness and finance) and have a highway commute of 130 miles 4 days a week. And general farm/field visits add about 30 miles a day to that total. And these can be in the rain, through deep sandy mud and slop. On average, I’m around 40k a year in mileage. I’ve been debating between an F150 and a Bronco for my daily driver. I’ve got to have something off-road capable, relatively comfortable, and with a fuel tank that can go longer than two days… Im also a Mountain Biker and have to have a hitch mount — and take frequent riding trips. Some of these places require decent ground clearance. The Bronco is less expensive than a Lariat F150, and I really don’t want to overspend my annual vehicle allowance. Oh, my current vehicle is a built up overland 2020 Tacoma (lift, tires, etc…). I generally sell or trade every 2.5 years or 100k miles. So, would a Bronco be a good choice? Which trim/packages? I was thinking maybe OBX nearly fully loaded with Sas? Or, whatever I can find on the lot… Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is my DD with 19k on it. Mostly highway. Went on a 1,400 mile round tripper.
it’s the most comfortable vehicle I’ve ever driven…..coming from a long line of Jeep’s and a taco, with a minivan mixed in when the pups were young. Build deets below, but it’s basically a straight up stock non-sas BL that I’d recommend to anyone with similar driving circumstances. Good luck, no wrong decision!

Ford Bronco Bronco for high annual mileage with off-road capability… 4E77F853-75C5-47B0-A5A9-61A3DF1F8318

Ford Bronco Bronco for high annual mileage with off-road capability… BB21CF66-4466-4488-A311-815D5D8385ED

2ata

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curr.: 2021 Ford Bronco; '77 924, '01 986, '02 911
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I get just barely over 16mpg. Fuel economy might suck with that long of a daily drive.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Except the OBX won't be the best choice when you do need to leave pavement. Very street tires. Oh, if you Squatch it, maybe you're ok....

Sponsored

cashe3

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Fe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OBx will be fine.
He's visiting farms on sloppy dirt roads.

OBx ATs will work.

OP your choice will probably be which one you can actually find on a dealer lot.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sounds like you should buy the F150 now if you can, and order a Bronco on 8/15 when the order banks open. By the time you’re ready to cycle out the F150 you might be close to getting your Bronco. 😂😂

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A lower trim 2.3 with either trans will give you great economy, many people are getting well over sticker. The key is to avoid the heavy big tires and armor. Spring for the locking rear and skip all the rest of the offroad goodies and it will get around farms just fine.

MIBronco21

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi All, I’m looking for a new vehicle for work (agribusiness and finance) and have a highway commute of 130 miles 4 days a week. And general farm/field visits add about 30 miles a day to that total. And these can be in the rain, through deep sandy mud and slop. On average, I’m around 40k a year in mileage. I’ve been debating between an F150 and a Bronco for my daily driver. I’ve got to have something off-road capable, relatively comfortable, and with a fuel tank that can go longer than two days… Im also a Mountain Biker and have to have a hitch mount — and take frequent riding trips. Some of these places require decent ground clearance. The Bronco is less expensive than a Lariat F150, and I really don’t want to overspend my annual vehicle allowance. Oh, my current vehicle is a built up overland 2020 Tacoma (lift, tires, etc…). I generally sell or trade every 2.5 years or 100k miles. So, would a Bronco be a good choice? Which trim/packages? I was thinking maybe OBX nearly fully loaded with Sas? Or, whatever I can find on the lot… Any help would be greatly appreciated!
My daily driver is a 2019 F-150, we also have a 2-Door Badlands with Sasquatch, and I’m an avid biker. Imo, I would take the F150 in your situation. Much more comfortable, quieter ride and more versatile. Also, you can get a bed mount and put your bikes in the bed of your truck.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'd do the math (using 100,000 miles), estimating mpg of both and gas prices (I know big guess).

Sponsored

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nope not even close to a good choice just on fuel mileage alone for the distances listed. Esp if going sas. Just my opinion I like mine the wife loves hers but we average 9k miles a year. Getting a Lux package bronco only gets you features that an xlt F150 has. So you could save some $ and have a more versatile Vehicle if you ever needed to haul anything. Keep the taco for off road stuff. Not to mention unless your grabbing one off the lot are you prepared to wait 6-10 months for it?

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
With that much daily miles. But below 250 on any day, you should consider F150 Lightning. 100k miles in Lightning, save you 5000 gallons or more of gas, at $5/gallon that is $25000, less about 1/3 of that to recharge the lightning, so net savings is about $16000.

Add to that much less maintenance, no oil changes, and a $7500 federal tax rebate.........

Take the pro with some options, will run around $48k, similar to a mid range Bronco.

No brainer!

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You only really need a Big Bend with the 4.27 rear locking axle. The factory setup should be fine, but if you add a set of 33" all-terrain tires and you'll definitely be set. For fuel economy I'd stick with the 2.3L engine, but if you are not paying for the fuel that may not matter to you.

Perhaps the biggest benefit of the Big Bend in your situation is that it is one of the cheaper trims (good for your allowance) and also is the most common trim level on dealer lots.

BUT... it depends if you want all of the technology packages and creature comforts. You can't get the High/Lux package on Big Bend, nor can you get leather seats. So if that matters to you, Outer Banks with the rear locking axle is what I'd go with. Sasquatch package obviously will also work, but that's probably way more capability than you'll need.

OP
OP

Quicksilver32

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ha! Already tried the Lightning. At best, it would be a ‘23. Most likely a ‘24. I’ve found one for sale with the extended range pack with a $2k markup. Still an $80k truck… Tried for a Tundra a couple months back and the way Southeast Toyota Distributors operate, you can’t really order anything. So, it’s looking like an F150 for me.
Sponsored