Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota CHR
Your Bronco Model
Base
We need a fly fishing thread.
100% agree, would be cool to hear about what adventures fellow fly fishermen are planning on going on in their broncos. Haven't seen much on the topic though.
Sponsored

Ecobeast

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’d go base in a heartbeat if you could option a locker. I would also add my own locker if we could get some details on what is entailed.

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
All the base needs is better wheels/tires to be a very capable off-road machine. The gearheads on here will say that unless you get a 2dr Sasquatch 2.7L Badlands you are a sissy and will get stuck driving over loose gravel in your driveway. Don't listen to them.

The base has the same suspension/drive as the BB/OBX/BD and is just some decent tires away from going 90% of the places the upper trims do.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd say most certainly not; not in true base form it isn't capable of much at all.

The base tires alone are basically road tires; these won't do much if its anything other than bone dry. The 4x4 capability will help, but not much.

Your concern is if you ever get stuck out in wet and the ground becomes mud. Mud is a different beast to drive through, not as bad as snow and ice for most people, but similar. Recovery gear and a shovel will be manditory.

Now, if you opt for a BaseSquatch, that'll give you some real capability and at least ensure you don't bottom out in ruts or mud. Still need recovery gear, but in my opinion, recovery gear is a must on any loose ground.

Don't want Squatch, ok, then at least upgrade those base road tires to some true off road rubber with decent lugs, even if on the same base wheels. Better tires will make all the difference and you can price some options in that size on Tirerack.com to aid in planning.

The base is basically a mod platform that won't break the bank. Add about $10K-$15K in suspension, wheel, tire, bumper upgrades and armor and you can make a very capable rig with higher end suspension than a BadSquatch.
^^^

Sorry, just had to do that to the first dissenting opinion.
It is a very solid reply though.
100% accurate, those tires will be what cripples the Base Bronco.

I always tell folks they'll be amazed at how far 33's and open diffs can take you.
I can't wait to see how much today's traction control nannys add to that. They can do an ok job at simulating a limited slip style diff.

I'm adding 33's, possibly 34's to my Base ASAP!

OP
OP
Dominic Nonnenmacher
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota CHR
Your Bronco Model
Base
All the base needs is better wheels/tires to be a very capable off-road machine. The gearheads on here will say that unless you get a 2dr Sasquatch 2.7L Badlands you are a sissy and will get stuck driving over loose gravel in your driveway. Don't listen to them.

The base has the same suspension/drive as the BB/OBX/BD and is just some decent tires away from going 90% of the places the upper trims do.
Thanks for the feedback, that is definitely what I am thinking as well. I don't even want to take this thing on trails where I could potentially total it if I made a mistake. I'm pretty confident the base will be more capable than what I'd even need. Ive already got an expensive hobby which is fly fishing, so I do not really want to add an even more expensive hobby such as off-roading haha.

Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
^^^
I always tell folks they'll be amazed at how far 33's and open diffs can take you.
I can't wait to see how much today's traction control nannys add to that. They can do an ok job at simulating a limited slip style diff.

For most fire-roads you won't even need 4WD. Heck my wife's FoST with low profile tires get's us to the trail heads...just very slowly on some of them.

OP
OP
Dominic Nonnenmacher
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota CHR
Your Bronco Model
Base
^^^

Sorry, just had to do that to the first dissenting opinion.
It is a very solid reply though.
100% accurate, those tires will be what cripples the Base Bronco.

Haha 100%, probably going to get 32-33 inch all terrains since this will be my daily so I still want to have a comfortable ride and good gas mileage for long road trips or long drives to my college I am attending at the moment.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You'll be fine.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you get A/Ts absolutely being a come along. All terrains have only slightly better traction that street tires in mud. And forest roads and rain sounds like mud. Bring a shovel, strap and come along. Dig a deadman if you cant find a treel. May take a minute but you can recover a vehicle buried to the mirrors with a come along if you have to.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dominic Nonnenmacher
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota CHR
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you get A/Ts absolutely being a come along. All terrains have only slightly better traction that street tires in mud. And forest roads and rain sounds like mud. Bring a shovel, strap and come along. Dig a deadman if you cant find a treel. May take a minute but you can recover a vehicle buried to the mirrors with a come along if you have to.
Is there a big difference between mud terrains and all terrains when it comes to road noise and gas mileage? But thank you for the information I will definitely take that into consideration.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For most fire-roads you won't even need 4WD. Heck my wife's FoST with low profile tires get's us to the trail heads...just very slowly on some of them.
Focus ST?
True, 98% of the folks rely won't need Bronco capabilities.

I'm definitely talking about actual off-road or really nasty wilderness roads.

Bronco territory.

FoST wouldn't clear the first ruts. ;)

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I agree with Shane, it would be a good idea to get some AT's. You could grab yourself a set, and sell the stock tires on Craigslist, or FB Marketplace to recoup some of your money. Just don't overthink it. If you've been on the roads you speak of you know them, and know whether you need anything more aggressive.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is there a big difference between mud terrains and all terrains when it comes to road noise and gas mileage? But thank you for the information I will definitely take that into consideration.
Never ran mudds, but my ear tells me muds and commercial traction tires are loud as hell...eventually.
Muds will typically suck on the ice and hard pack, but they'll EXCEL in deep snow!

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Focus ST?
True, 98% of the folks rely won't need Bronco capabilities.

I'm definitely talking about actual off-road or really nasty wilderness roads.

Bronco territory.

FoST wouldn't clear the first ruts. ;)
I know and I agree, so many people here seem to think you need the sasquatch package or 37" to get into the back country and that's simply not true!

FoST = Focus ST, FiST = Fiesta ST or something you see in Tijuana Clubs of ill-repute.
Sponsored