Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

^^^

Sorry, just had to do that to the first dissenting opinion.
It is a very solid reply though.
100% accurate, those tires will be what cripples the Base Bronco.

I always tell folks they'll be amazed at how far 33's and open diffs can take you.
I can't wait to see how much today's traction control nannys add to that. They can do an ok job at simulating a limited slip style diff.

I'm adding 33's, possibly 34's to my Base ASAP!
Ha ha! You got me Hoosier!

Yea, I think some solid off road tires would do a lot of good for anyone with the base, but what a lot of these guys here with such rosy outlooks are overlooking is skill of the driver. Sure, an experienced wheeler, or just a guy that gets lucky can get in and out of some interesting situations, but in my experience, capability of the rig itself, just like modern sports cars, can turn a below average driver into a hero quickly.

I see too many guys who can't find a line if you painted it on the trail for them, so without training, most new to off roading just get themselves into the craziest situations. First mistake is not actually getting out of the vehicle to check out what's ahead. Truth is, wheeling is a slow process, very slow most of the time. Guys watch a 17 minute YouTube video of a 4 mile trail and think "that don't look so tough", well, usually it is much tougher than it seems.

Keyboard wheelers are dangerous and can get you in a heap of trouble. Like I said, when wet, a simple trail just made things much more complex. Unless you're in the Southwest, don't underestimate pop up showers and the effects they have.

Any true wheeler will always tell you to over prepare and plan for more than you plan to face; this is just experience. Guys who don't tell you this, ain't been wheeling.

None of us invest so much money in recovery gear or a winch because we think it looks cool, we do it because it's absolutely necessary. So having capability is much more reliable than wishful thinking of how some guy got lucky once 30 years ago in a story that lacks detail and context.

I'd rather say too much than tell anyone too little.
Sponsored

Rvbronco

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura rdx
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do not consider myself an off-roader or rock crawler by any means. I like to fly fish and camp in pa and some of those forest roads can be pretty rough and have deep ruts. Will the base base bronco suit my needs in this aspect? I’m assuming I don’t need lockers or bilsteins to go on forest roads but not sure... just wondering if the base model will be capable by itself.
What do think of just renting a base jeep for a day ? Then you will have a better idea of what your in for .

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is there a big difference between mud terrains and all terrains when it comes to road noise and gas mileage? But thank you for the information I will definitely take that into consideration.
Unfortunately there is a difference between AT and MT tires. The road noise on mudders is pretty bad and the tires can be irritating on road trips.

Now, I'm referring to the more capable MTs such as Nitto, BFG, Mickey, General, etc. The stock 33 and 35" Goodyears that come from Ford for the Bronco, who knows. I don't know anyone who runs Goodyear. They may be just fine, and I'm certainly going to run mine until they are dead.

I think you'll be fine with ATs as you've already mentioned. You're in college, so who knows what you'll get into in the next 5 years or so. Maybe you'll become a wheeler, or maybe not. Maybe you'll just want to go deeper into the woods, or hopefully you'll get a great job with an income where you can do whatever the hell you want like some of us do now, but we all had to start somewhere.

I've been wheeling an old Disco for damn near 20 years now and grabbed it because I hate Jeeps and the Disco was cheap as hell, but temperamental. Have learned a lot of lessons with that rig, some good, some bad.

Big point is you've got a solid platform to build upon for years to come if you want. That tire upgrade will be money well spent and take away some of the worry.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For super swampers ohh yea there is a difference, but there is alot of tires that bridge the gap significantly. Just have to read up on em.
Is there a big difference between mud terrains and all terrains when it comes to road noise and gas mileage? But thank you for the information I will definitely take that into consideration.

TiredOldMedic

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Mercury Grand Marquis, 86 Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I learned to drive in my dads 71. Bone stock with a 302 and manual steering. No lockers back then. 3 on the tree. I could put it in 4 wheel low range and not give it hardly any gas and it would climb hills like nobody's business. Your old timer's swear to this day its the best 4x4 for off-road there ever was. I betting the base model will be even better. The only time we ever got stuck was when we high centered on a tree stump.

Sponsored

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

At least with the base 2 door you can get the manual, and thus 4.46:1 gears. Base 4 door has auto standard, and 3.73:1 gears. I definitely would have done the base model 4 door manual and 255/85r16 tires. That 3.73:1 gear ratio is a straight up deal breaker though. As soon as you pay for new tires and, as I would like as much factory warranty as possible, pay a dealer to install gears, you’re more than half way to Sasquatch package.

So I just went with Sasquatch.

Base 2 door manual with 255/85R16 tires would be an awesome set up, open diffs and all.

@MadMan4BamaNATL I had a DI years ago with some DuraTrac 215/85r16s. Selling it was a giant mistake.

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A/T’a are generally better in the snow then M/T’s. They also drive on the road better and are less noisy. I’ve seen people get through some tough stuff in BFG A/T’s. Only when it’s really really muddy and add a hill climb in there then the A/T’s start to let you down. For what your use will be I’m thinking you’ll be much happier with A/T tires.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A/T’a are generally better in the snow then M/T’s. They also drive on the road better and are less noisy. I’ve seen people get through some tough stuff in BFG A/T’s. Only when it’s really really muddy and add a hill climb in there then the A/T’s start to let you down. For what your use will be I’m thinking you’ll be much happier with A/T tires.
So if its no more than a light rain in flat desert A/Ts are good enough :ROFLMAO:

Unless you are mall crawling or only use your 4x4 for commuting there really isnt a reason not to put atleast a Khumo, Firestone, Goodyear, Falken or even BFG mud terrains. In a upright windshield removable top brick shaped vehicle. The road noise is going to be minimal. And if you have to have a whisper quiet cabin perhaps a Lincoln crossover would be better anyways. Alot of M/Ts can have studs added also for extreme snow lattitudes. Most M/Ts are no worse on ice than a typical non winter spec street tire if not better. But the simple fact of having proper lugs on your tread can and will be the difference between having an amazing adventure and getting stuck or even worse never going further out of fear for traction.

The Bronco may be built wild but it deserves good shoes to perform its best. Unless you dont ever expect to see a hill.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've been lots a places with a limited slip. A true open diff causes me doubts.

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Should be great for your needs. I have BD on order, and driving around today started wishing I had just stuck with the Base. Some good tires would help you, but if you use common sense and turn back when its beyond your or the Bronco's ability, you will be fine.

Its not a pure rock crawler (whatever that is defined at this moment. ). I don't know why you would want to Rock Crawl a new rig anyway.

You will still likely see a Camry at your hideaway spot.

Sponsored

SpaceHorse

Base
First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Awesome that’s what I was thinking, thanks for the feedback. The only mods I’m thinking of adding are 32 inch all terrains for the steelies and maybe down the road some off-road suspension, but I don’t want to end up dumping lots of money into off-road parts I realistically won’t need or use. Would rather use that money for fly fishing gear since that’s my main passion. For me the bronco will just add to the fun factor of getting to the stream or lake.
What’s “awesome “???

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I sold my truck last year, so I've been traveling a lot of Forest Service roads in a 98 Avalon that I swear has about 2" of ground clearance once I pack a week's worth of gear and supplies in it. It's been way more important that I know the car's limitations and the limits of my skill than to have a super-capable rig and getting cocky and then getting myself into trouble.

IMO, if you aren't going rock-crawling, knowing your weather and road conditions are far more important than having 1000 inches of clearance and tires bigger than a refrigerator. 🤣

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Your going to be amazed what you can do with a stock 4x4 better tires in the near future will help.

I used to fish for shark in fl. Backed up to a sreeet at the beach tied line /rope to bumper swam out big tuna carcass out on surfboard ,drink beer and party about 10:30at nite twing start up 74 harvester and drive big hammer head righ up on beach.🙈🦈

NatureBoy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I sold my truck last year, so I've been traveling a lot of Forest Service roads in a 98 Avalon that I swear has about 2" of ground clearance once I pack a week's worth of gear and supplies in it. It's been way more important that I know the car's limitations and the limits of my skill than to have a super-capable rig and getting cocky and then getting myself into trouble.

IMO, if you aren't going rock-crawling, knowing your weather and road conditions are far more important than having 1000 inches of clearance and tires bigger than a refrigerator. 🤣
Best reply.
Sponsored