First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150, 1976 Bronco, 2009 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Damn lol. We wouldn't be a concern for the maximum weight capacity if that's what you're getting at lol. I was going to wait for the aftermarket. Hope RhinoRack comes out with something nice.
I have loaded more crap on top of my FJ and my 76 Bronco than most ever would and never had a second thought. I probably would not do hard core off road but I have done many back woods trips in the mountains of North Ga where 4x4 was required. Sounds like you might be doing similar. I will sell or trade the FJ for the Bronco and will not give it a second thought to loading up the roof.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NPBronco91

NPBronco91

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco - Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have loaded more crap on top of my FJ and my 76 Bronco than most ever would and never had a second thought. I probably would not do hard core off road but I have done many back woods trips in the mountains of North Ga where 4x4 was required. Sounds like you might be doing similar. I will sell or trade the FJ for the Bronco and will not give it a second thought to loading up the roof.
That's what I'm looking to do. Do trips in the woods and the mountains of the North East or head West. Hoping the trade in value will hold on my FJ even with some rust.

Danager

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
People think overlanding means you have to sleep on your roof... You and the other-half can carry a small tent and sleep on the ground. Some of those tents take up very little space.

I am planning a 4dr WT. I am adding a rack somehow. I’m not planning to carry all my belongings up there. Some combination of canoe (already own) or kayak (possibly in the future) and bike.

I am considering a hard-sided pop-up, like an A-Liner for the future. Put a rack on that for the boat(s) and bike(s). I will still have a rack on the truck for times without the trailer.

Bringing a trailer with the intent of dropping it affects more than you think. You would need to plan trips around a “base”. If you can carry it all with you, you just keep moving along in any direction you choose. No need to return to base. There are some neat projects you can undertake with a small utility trailer with a platform for a rooftop tent. You really have a lot of options...

So, ask yourself what type of expeditions do you plan to have. A long trail, with a clear and separate start and end point? Or set up base camp, spend the day on the trails, and return to base?

Whether in/on the truck or trailer, loading is important. Eliminate what you do t need. If you are buying new, get something that serves more than one purpose and is small & light. Load heavy stuff low.

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
GVWR is definitely something to consider. At some point, the weight of your gear is simply too much for your roof rack, shocks or springs causing them to wear out prematurely or worse. Your driving style and the roughness of the roads you drive are other considerations too. I've bent roof rack components and ruined springs through a combination of overloading my XJ and driving some of the rougher trails around Moab. Now we split the gear between the XJs and a small, DIY trail trailer (photo attached). It measures less than 10 ft long (bumper to hitch) and about 6 ft wide. The box is only 4 ft by 6 ft by 2.5 ft, but it carries pretty much all our gear, including a 27 gallon water tank and small "kitchen" in the back. With a Lock-n-Roll hitch, I could literally back the trailer off a cliff and it would stay attached. Typically we base camp, but I've seen similar trail trailers towed up Elephant Hill in Canyonlands National Park, which has a very narrow, rocky set of tight switchbacks. The best benefit of the trailer--all our camping gear (less food, clothes and personal items) are always packed. Fill up the water tank, throw the food and clothes in the back of the XJs and we're off.

Trail Trailer.jpg

RACERED-WT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Active duty corpsman here. So I'm doing a lot of research lately on overlanding in anticipation for my Badlands Bronco. As I read through the thread discussing GVWR, I am curious if it really is of all that concerning when there are so many videos on YouTube showing Jeeps carrying full gear and roof top tents while trailing with no issues? I wanted to share this company I found because Im really looking at them for there Superlite roof top tent. Its a pop up style and only 80lbs! They make their products in here in the USA as well! Check this out
https://gofastcampers.com/superlite-roof-tent/
Sponsored