Sponsored

M190 Front Axle - Largest Tires it can handle?

StachioAttack72

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 Door Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve searched high and low, and can’t really find a definitive answer on if putting 35’s (ie: as close as possible to 35’s with crash bar removal) on a non-sas model Bronco (mine will be a 2.3L OBX) would break the M190 axle in anything beyond running on smooth roads.

Not that I’d take my Bronco off reading, but just investigating the possibilities as I’ve seen others on here put 305/70/18’s and 285/75/18’s on the stock OBX’ wheels. Not sure if it could lead to busted axels in the future.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So the weak link doesn't seem to be the axles themselves, instead it seems to be the tie rods.

You should be able to do 35s without a problem unless you are really beating your Bronco against the rocks. 37s are probably in the "iffy" zone. Any higher than that and you better prepare your wallet for abuse.

Also... I don't know what axle ratio you picked up, but if you got one of the lower ratios, your Bronco will probably act a little on the sluggish side the larger tire you get.

OP
OP
StachioAttack72

StachioAttack72

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 Door Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So the weak link doesn't seem to be the axles themselves, instead it seems to be the tie rods.

You should be able to do 35s without a problem unless you are really beating your Bronco against the rocks. 37s are probably in the "iffy" zone. Any higher than that and you better prepare your wallet for abuse.

Also... I don't know what axle ratio you picked up, but if you got one of the lower ratios, your Bronco will probably act a little on the sluggish side the larger tire you get.
I got the 3.73 Open Style Rear Axle Final Drive Ratio.

(Yep… I know I’m a noob)

Sponsored

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Definitely street, not really going to murder it in off-roading. Saving that for my Wildtrak.
i think it will be MEH on 35s with 3.73 but i dont think you will kill the front diff from street use.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford didn’t do it for a reason...if it does break don’t expect warranty...start spinning on the snow/ice and catch traction = snap...

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wonder what the definition of "you should be fine" really is? You could drive your Bronco with 35's for it's entire life and not break anything, or you could decide to jam down a dirt road and hit a fun looking spot and break the thing next time out. 35's are on the edge for that axle, just be careful. Or, forget how you want it to look and stick with 33's and then don't worry about it.