First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just got these in yesterday upon installing them couple issues, which are 100% user related. I got focals and the pod hole is a little smaller. No big deal I’ll shim it. However under the grille cover of the pod there are these foam pieces. Doing a test fit I noticed these foam pieces touch the outer rim on the speaker cone. Without pictures the best I can describe it it’s the (n) around the 🔈 I know if you restrict the inside of the cone it affects sound is the same for the outer rim? Anyone who’s has these pods let me know what you did? I was just gonna cut out the foam or at least trim it It doesn’t serve any purpose that I can think of.
Sponsored

Kiddo44pct

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy traverse
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just got these in yesterday upon installing them couple issues, which are 100% user related. I got focals and the pod hole is a little smaller. No big deal I’ll shim it. However under the grille cover of the pod there are these foam pieces. Doing a test fit I noticed these foam pieces touch the outer rim on the speaker cone. Without pictures the best I can describe it it’s the (n) around the 🔈 I know if you restrict the inside of the cone it affects sound is the same for the outer rim? Anyone who’s has these pods let me know what you did? I was just gonna cut out the foam or at least trim it It doesn’t serve any purpose that I can think of.
Another Mabett speaker pods question....just arrived yesterday..wondering size speaker
Some people say 6 .5 others. 6.75..want to know which speakers to buy and am confused..wanted to install next weekend..thanks
Really hoping to make louder stereo ..planning upgrades

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You can pull the foam off and it won't really affect much.

Usually I see it installed between the speaker and the pod, to keep any play from rattling and to help seal that gap up (it isn't exactly an airtight pod in the first place). I've seen it on grills occasionally too - but if it's hitting the cone of the speaker, yeah pull it off. It you wanted to put some more on there where it won't hit the cone you can do that, it's just some basic weatherstripping you can get at most any hardware store, or use some spray glue and re-use the stripping you pulled off - or just wait and see if the grill is going to rattle/buzz with your setup and then you can add it later if needed.

I bought the Mabett pods earlier this year, the foam was just shipped seperately with 3M backing and you had to attach it yourself - I didn't, as I used a bead of silicone (just what I do with all my speakers) between the speaker and the pod, and I don't have anything between the grill and the speaker - it clips in tight enough that I don't have any rattle or anything, at least at the volumes I listen at. I actually just came across the foam still in the plastic yesterday while I was cleaning stuff up. It's just some basic weatherstripping.

@Kiddo44pct -- There are some speaker companies that don't like to use standard sizing... like my Infinity References that were sold as 3.5" speakers that fit in the 4" spots perfectly. Odds are the 6.75's would work just fine and it's just the speaker marketing department wanting to put a bigger number on the box so they can sell more speakers - but there's no guarantee even that every 6.5" speaker will fit, even if they are billed as 6.5".

The good news about the pod is that it's really easy to get at, so if they don't fit it's not like you just tore apart half your interior and spent 4 hours just to find out they don't fit.

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I bought 6.75” kickers and they fit perfect. I didn’t install the mabett covers on mine and used the speaker grills. I like the look of the speaker grills and felt like the pods obstructed he speaker too much.

OP
OP
PghBronco

PghBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You can pull the foam off and it won't really affect much.

Usually I see it installed between the speaker and the pod, to keep any play from rattling and to help seal that gap up (it isn't exactly an airtight pod in the first place). I've seen it on grills occasionally too - but if it's hitting the cone of the speaker, yeah pull it off. It you wanted to put some more on there where it won't hit the cone you can do that, it's just some basic weatherstripping you can get at most any hardware store, or use some spray glue and re-use the stripping you pulled off - or just wait and see if the grill is going to rattle/buzz with your setup and then you can add it later if needed.

I bought the Mabett pods earlier this year, the foam was just shipped seperately with 3M backing and you had to attach it yourself - I didn't, as I used a bead of silicone (just what I do with all my speakers) between the speaker and the pod, and I don't have anything between the grill and the speaker - it clips in tight enough that I don't have any rattle or anything, at least at the volumes I listen at. I actually just came across the foam still in the plastic yesterday while I was cleaning stuff up. It's just some basic weatherstripping.

@Kiddo44pct -- There are some speaker companies that don't like to use standard sizing... like my Infinity References that were sold as 3.5" speakers that fit in the 4" spots perfectly. Odds are the 6.75's would work just fine and it's just the speaker marketing department wanting to put a bigger number on the box so they can sell more speakers - but there's no guarantee even that every 6.5" speaker will fit, even if they are billed as 6.5".

The good news about the pod is that it's really easy to get at, so if they don't fit it's not like you just tore apart half your interior and spent 4 hours just to find out they don't fit.
wow, why didn’t I think of silicone…. Ffs
Sponsored