Making the Pinch-Weld ‘disappear’

Cfield90

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco/22 Escape/01 Softail/90 Bronco (former)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love the idea

I’m doing it as we speak…

how many coats of the bed liner did you use?

I bought the same can you did

21A12CA1-8510-422C-BE00-C4A41C93CCF5.jpeg
OP has VB and used blue painter’s tape…you have EG and use green frog tape 🤔 Both finished products look great; just thought the choice in color of tape to match body was a bit 🤣
Sponsored

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP has VB and used blue painter’s tape…you have EG and use green frog tape 🤔 Both finished products look great; just thought the choice in color of tape to match body was a bit 🤣
yea if you don’t use tape to match your rig it won’t work.

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Odyssey, 2023 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think that’s prob fine too.
The truck bed liner just gives it a more textured look and i guess it doesn’t require that prep…like priming and sanding.
Just clean it and spray it on
Ok got it. I'll probably do this to mine when it arrives (since I won't be unable to see the pinch weld now), so just making sure there wasn't some other rationale I was missing.

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just to make people aware of the long-term look of this product. Not to say it's bad or good.... It is what it is so if you're good with it then cool!

Bed liner will just overall have a dull finish and hold onto dirt like this person's results show.

http://trucks.pcwize.com/herculiner.php

This is a 2-year update photo, but he indicates it started looking like this 6-8 months in.
herc_004_sm.jpg
Not Wurth-y. Thanks for the advice.

MVBB

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
...or you could just buy this Pinch Weld cover, from JCR OFFROAD!

1645564372865.png
This is my plan. Those "bed liners" tend to get moisture caught inside and speed the rusting process. My only fear with this weld cover is that the same will happen. Trapped moisture in the weld. Gonna look into it more. If I go with the weld cover I will definitely woolwax the area before installation.

Sponsored

MVBB

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
planning to "wurth" paint the weld- wollwax the underside

Kekov721

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wurth makes good products but aren’t always easy to find. 3M is the most widely used undercoating in professional body shops and their aerosol can version is easy to find., part # 3584 or 8883. It’s recommended to lightly Scotchbrite the area and use a wax and grease remover before application.

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Wurth makes good products but aren’t always easy to find. 3M is the most widely used undercoating in professional body shops and their aerosol can version is easy to find., part # 3584 or 8883. It’s recommended to lightly Scotchbrite the area and use a wax and grease remover before application.
In California, It's even harder to get industrial chemicals than most places. I had to buy mine on eBay.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In California, It's even harder to get industrial chemicals than most places. I had to buy mine on eBay.
We make a California compliant undercoating but I wasn’t going to give you that part number as I assume you want something that works well. :)

I lived in NorCal for 20 years selling for 3M into the collision market. California laws constantly changed and each year or two eliminated some of the products such as adhesive remover from our line and my customers had no decent alternatives sometimes for years until we could develop a compliant product that was always inferior. I had distributors bringing products down from Reno or Las Vegas in their own personal vehicles so their customers would have something that worked, lol.

Last edited:

Dad life

Base
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, Tundra, GX470
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You guys really want to prep and scuff the surface or these cheap bedliner options WILL flake and peel pretty soon. There’s nothing wrong with the cheap bedliners but just like anything, prep is everything. And most don’t have any UV protection built in so if exposed to sun, they fade. Not a huge deal here, and very easy to touch up.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You guys really want to prep and scuff the surface or these cheap bedliner options WILL flake and peel pretty soon. There’s nothing wrong with the cheap bedliners but just like anything, prep is everything. And most don’t have any UV protection built in so if exposed to sun, they fade. Not a huge deal here, and very easy to touch up.
Yep, prepping and cleaning the surface is key. A quality rubberized undercoating the recommended product for this application. A high rubber content makes it more chip resistant than an aerosol bedliner. Don’t try to save money buying a lesser undercoating, they have less rubber and don’t bond as well. The good stuff is only about $20 per can and that covers more than the rocker area we are talking about.

I’d use these steps:

Wash with soap and water, clean with 3M #8987 general purpose adhesive cleaner, scuff with maroon or grey scotchbrite, clean with #8987, mask adjacent panels, spray with 3M #8883 with 5 minutes of dry time between coats under normal 70º temps. Double that dry time if it’s below 60º. Here a video where they are using the professional product sprayed from a PPS pressurized cup but the 8883 is basically the same product.

Sponsored

Last edited: