Dimasin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi,
I am planning to do manual transmission fluid change and would appreciate few pointers in this seemingly simple procedure.
First, dealer was unable to find if there are washers needed for fill and drain plugs. So, they sold me new plugs thinking those may have a built-in gasket like oil plug has.
Second, the job supplies besides DCT fluid calls for threadlocker and RTV silicone. Both are quite pricey from a dealer. I wonder if Permatex will suffice. What is worse RTV silicone is sold in the package not designed to be reused later.
Third, if no washer is needed, how to apply both threadlocker and gasket silicone on a small plug without contaminating threads and fluid in the transmission.
Thank you so much!
Dimasin
PS: I have done similar service on regular 4x4 manuals.
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've changed many a MT fluid, including the Bronco and never used anything on the threads. Never had a leak, and never had any problem with a plug seizing. It's pretty simple, just make sure you can remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug.

OP
OP
dimasin

dimasin

Black Diamond
First Name
Dimasin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've changed many a MT fluid, including the Bronco and never used anything on the threads. Never had a leak, and never had any problem with a plug seizing. It's pretty simple, just make sure you can remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug.
Sorry for asking obvious:
1. Was there blue compound on plug threads and black RTV around a plug on Bronco?
2. Did you see or use a washer? Manual doesn't show anything and only indicates 26 lb/ft torque spec.
Thank you so much!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No washer and I didn’t see evidence of any sealer used on either plug.

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn't use sealer on the threads, but if you really want to use some I'd use a very thin line on the edge of the plug head. Tighten the plug almost all the way in, apply the small amount of sealer all the way around, and fully tighten it; the idea is to keep it away from the threads and potentially out of the trans fluid.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Use a torque wrench when reinstalling the plugs to prevent from over tightening. The spec is 26 ft lbs.

Another tip, place something over the exhaust where it crosses under the fill port otherwise you'll have oil behind the shields that may take a while to burn off. I used a plain old WalMart bag.
Sponsored