Chaos

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Damnit. ARB, Metalcloak, factory.... so many choices, oh my.... Haven't had a chance to actually play with the factory plates, but they seem maybe a touch on the flimsy side... again just my impression from looking at them, not banging on them or taking them off. I like the look of the ARB set, but this set is looking very promising too....

ryridesmotox

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You are likely to get turtled more on the full skid plates. Most rocks are irregular and the little high points rub and grab underneath. Less area for rocks to grab is usually better, as long as critical components are protected from damage. For example, I've seen skid plates under the differentials, which is a serious decrease in ground clearance, but it's protecting something that is steel itself and can handle getting rubbed on rocks. No point. I think I'd prefer that driver side to stay open underneath. Might tag an exhaust pipe, but not likely and not that big a deal if we do. Just another way of looking at it.
I'd rather have a slick bottom to be able to slide off a rock. There can be a lot of rocks where I'm at, if you get one in the good and then can't move forward over it. You're stuck. If you can at least slide over it, with lockers, then you can drive on. I understand what you mean about picking a line, and generally I try to pick a good line, but in some of the rock gardens around so cal, it can be a no win scenario. At least, if I can reverse and side off, I can try a different line. But if I hit a crossmember in the front or a rear arm, I'm kinda stuck.

Both arguments are valid, on my ride, I'd rather have a smooth belly

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd rather have a slick bottom to be able to slide off a rock. There can be a lot of rocks where I'm at, if you get one in the good and then can't move forward over it. You're stuck. If you can at least slide over it, with lockers, then you can drive on. I understand what you mean about picking a line, and generally I try to pick a good line, but in some of the rock gardens around so cal, it can be a no win scenario. At least, if I can reverse and side off, I can try a different line. But if I hit a crossmember in the front or a rear arm, I'm kinda stuck.

Both arguments are valid, on my ride, I'd rather have a smooth belly
I understand, which is why I comment that it's just another way of looking at it. I also live in SoCal, well Bakersfield is is still southern in CA. I have wheeled the Hammer trails in JV for 25 years, plus rock crawling trails in AZ, UT, CO all over the west, plus all the Sierras trails like Dusy, Swamp Lake and the Rubicon, virtually too many times to count. Personally, I want the smallest underbody foot print that's possible. If I hang up on a frame, crossmember, or axle I can maneuver around, back up, spin, whatever, and have a change of getting un-hung up. I would rather do that than take the chance of increasing my odds of hitting rocks with a very large skid plate that much of the time won't slide, and does exactly what you said about being turtled....hung with too much vehicle weight on the rock/skid plate and not enough weight on the suspension/tires to be able to have traction to move forward or backward. No guarantee you can slide on a skid plate, sometimes rocks dig in and gouge and then you really can't move. One reason not to make skid plates out of aluminum, though it's lighter, it gouges easier and rocks don't slide. This is a big reason that on rock buggies we're going more and more to AR400 ballistic steel because it is so hard and dense that it won't gouge and you have a better chance of the rocks sliding on it. Just talking here and throwing out ideas and perspective, for folks who are reading and maybe learning more about off roading. Lots of good perspective and experience to be had.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What do you think about the factory Black Diamond set up?
With the area to the rear of the 2nd plate being so open, to my very untrained eye, it looks like a great place to get stuck on a rock.
The transmission is tucked pretty high up in the build so OK with that but my concern is the big hole the factory skids leave. Is this a problem area?

Sponsored

Ipe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350, Expedition, Defender, JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Steel is great for the west where its dry but it'll rust out wherever salt is used on the roads. Make them in aluminum with UHMW sliders and I'll be interested. Until then, thanks, but no, I'm sick if spending $$$ on steel and watching it turn it into flakes of rust.

NTX_Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Faz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

what is the material we are looking at here, is that zinc plated steel?

JKommuter

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
what is the material we are looking at here, is that zinc plated steel?
From their website Re their Jeep Skids. metalcloak.com

JL, JK & TJ/LJ Skid Plates
[ MetalCloak is Strength through Simplicity... ]

Skid plates are not for looks. They are for protection. And the best protection is Steel. Not Aluminum. Not fancy Plastics. Steel. Period.
MetalCloak's New UnderCloak line of Skid Plates for the JK and TJ/LJ are made of the finest materials and Zinc Plated for the ultimate protection from the elements. Not to mention they look really cool. When you have the confidence that comes with knowing your Jeep's vulnerable underbelly is protected by the best, you have the confidence to tackle that next trail or that next obstacle.

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Damnit. ARB, Metalcloak, factory.... so many choices, oh my.... Haven't had a chance to actually play with the factory plates, but they seem maybe a touch on the flimsy side... again just my impression from looking at them, not banging on them or taking them off. I like the look of the ARB set, but this set is looking very promising too....
i just installed the OEM SKIDS on my basesquatch they are not flimsy pretty heavy actually. Should of waited and got these tho. 🤙🏽

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Those flat bottom panels have a good chance of improving highway mpg too.

Sponsored

Chaos

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
i just installed the OEM SKIDS on my basesquatch they are not flimsy pretty heavy actually. Should of waited and got these tho. 🤙🏽
Thank you. Good to know. I've had the factory option selected on my wildtrak from the beginning, but with aftermarket options coming available I have wondered if I would keep them. Ether way I was planning on a few additions here and there.

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
From their website Re their Jeep Skids. metalcloak.com

JL, JK & TJ/LJ Skid Plates
[ MetalCloak is Strength through Simplicity... ]

Skid plates are not for looks. They are for protection. And the best protection is Steel. Not Aluminum. Not fancy Plastics. Steel. Period.
MetalCloak's New UnderCloak line of Skid Plates for the JK and TJ/LJ are made of the finest materials and Zinc Plated for the ultimate protection from the elements. Not to mention they look really cool. When you have the confidence that comes with knowing your Jeep's vulnerable underbelly is protected by the best, you have the confidence to tackle that next trail or that next obstacle.

Really like the looks of these. That cool zinc plating needs to be rattle canned though. That zinc will be worn off pretty quickly where they get used. I prefer to be able to tough up with a quick spray can every so often to keep them from being completely rusted. I'm betting we are looking at $1500 for a set. Hopefully I am pleasantly surprised.

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

They are no where near as thick as aftermarket. I will have to get a caliper out, but they look like 12ga.

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They are no where near as thick as aftermarket. I will have to get a caliper out, but they look like 12ga.
Copy. Not much rocks in Mi. Hopefully I’m GTG. I’ll order these when they come out…

Stilbukn

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco, '13 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Funhaver is the only company I've seen planning skid plates for the rear coilovers, but I don't think they're available yet. It's literally the first thing on my list for the underbody.
Is that a rock rail on the passenger side? If so, it can't be the Ford rail. I'm hoping more "proper" rock rails hit the market soon. We've seen several prototypes but nothing on the market yet.

These skid plates look great though.

Dang! I meant to reply on a comment from BroncoBoss with this image.

Oddly enough, FunHaver has the rock rails that I want if they can ever get them produced!

Ford Bronco Metalcloak full skid plates system preview look 1641725747238
Sponsored

Last edited: