Sponsored

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Those circled sections at the rear (control arms) will be gold soon... I can't wait to see what they do up front.
Sponsored

Gofar

Base
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco 4dr base sas 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Interesting rocker panel protection, doesn't appear to be frame mounted but it looks to be effective.

ne2000

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FINALLY someone did it ....

1. I hope they have considered access to the oil pan plug
2. also hope they add some protection to the lowest parts of the vehicle (circled)

Inked270205035_415397937026854_773003017329512081_n_LI.jpg
Funhaver is the only company I've seen planning skid plates for the rear coilovers, but I don't think they're available yet. It's literally the first thing on my list for the underbody.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Remember that when in the rocks the tires lift up to go over rocks, so anything that's close to the tire is way less likely to hit on rocks. Also, you consider this when picking a line, keeping the tires mostly on the high spots. So, while those shock mounts hang down pretty low it isn't that big a deal needing to protect them. Also, skid plates lower ground clearance, so it's best to have a reasonable balance between protection and ground clearance.

Nice set up, would like to see more in person. Metal Cloak makes well thought out stuff.

Sponsored

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I love metalcloak. They make quality parts. Can’t wait to see the lift the make for the bronco. I’ll be putting the game changer lift on my gladiator.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

JPG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Metal or Aluminum ? Those do look nice and a good solution so far.

ryridesmotox

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Stil leave the same concern as with my factory plates... what about the void under the driver's side? If you slide off a rock and it gets under there you're going to have a nice day being a turtle.

How come the plates don't cover that void under the driver's section? I'd be stoked with a plate to just fill that out

JKommuter

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
4door or 2door? If 2door can you let them scan your bronco. This looks great hope this works with some aftermarket stuff on the bronco.
They had my 2 door for 3 days a couple of months ago. They tell me 2 door skids and rockers are next.

Sponsored

Harumph

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1200XL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interested in a set for 2door. Weight compared to the stock set?

BigDeal

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So my only concern would be lack of perforation to allow air circulation and water and muck to drain out if you are in deep water. Also excessive heat build up around transmission.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Stil leave the same concern as with my factory plates... what about the void under the driver's side? If you slide off a rock and it gets under there you're going to have a nice day being a turtle.

How come the plates don't cover that void under the driver's section? I'd be stoked with a plate to just fill that out
You are likely to get turtled more on the full skid plates. Most rocks are irregular and the little high points rub and grab underneath. Less area for rocks to grab is usually better, as long as critical components are protected from damage. For example, I've seen skid plates under the differentials, which is a serious decrease in ground clearance, but it's protecting something that is steel itself and can handle getting rubbed on rocks. No point. I think I'd prefer that driver side to stay open underneath. Might tag an exhaust pipe, but not likely and not that big a deal if we do. Just another way of looking at it.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You are likely to get turtled more on the full skid plates. Most rocks are irregular and the little high points rub and grab underneath. Less area for rocks to grab is usually better, as long as critical components are protected from damage. For example, I've seen skid plates under the differentials, which is a serious decrease in ground clearance, but it's protecting something that is steel itself and can handle getting rubbed on rocks. No point. I think I'd prefer that driver side to stay open underneath. Might tag an exhaust pipe, but not likely and not that big a deal if we do. Just another way of looking at it.
You sir are a genius. If a person picks a line right you can use those 'voids' to advantage. I think folks are used to utvs with full skids just dragging them over things, easier done with a 1000 lb rig than a 5000 lb rig. I'd actually like to see a void where the fuel tank is, that's going to end up being an issue.

My BB only has a skid on the fuel tank (plastic up front and under the engine/front diff. ). The trans and transfer case are tucked ok, but I want something there to protect the plastic trans pan from an errant rock or branch rolled under. The plastic front is ok as there is nothing important up there with the 2.3, I might also go steel under the engine/diff, I'll decide after my first oil change when I remove the plastic one and analyze exposure. I agree on diff skid, if you're hitting that hard enough to bust the iron you should probably reassess your driving technique.

Last edited:

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You sir are a genius. If a person picks a line right you can use those 'voids' to advantage. I think folks are used to utvs with full skids just dragging them over things, easier done with a 1000 lb rig than a 5000 lb rig. I'd actually like to see a void where the fuel tank is, that's going to end up being an issue.
While some folks are talking about the rear lower shock mounts, which agreed are low, I'm much more concerned with the low hanging front mounts on the rear lower control arms, which are going to snag on rocks. And the gas tank. If I didn't want my Bronco to be a (mostly) stock daily driver I'd be looking at fabricating a slightly longer rear lower arm set up with the link mounts tucked up inside the frame. But the links would have to be long enough to not ruin the factory anti-squat and increasing anti-squat too much will will effect climbing ability and make the rear more prone to bounce on climbs and ledges. Sorry, getting off topic here, but I'm sure Metal Cloak is already thinking about things to do to the suspension. And I'm really hoping GenRight is looking at a higher clearance gas tank, I'll be talking to Tony in a couple weeks. Use an aftermarket exhaust like the AFE that gets rid of that big rear muffler and use that space for a fuel tank with much better clearance.

Higher clearance gas tank and raise the front mount for the rear lower control arms and it would be a serious improvement in off road capability, especially in rocks. Wish...wish...wish... :giggle: :giggle:
Sponsored