Sponsored

MIC Hardtop pins shearing off the top easily. DEFECT?

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Definitely poor design. I'm glad I saw these pics because I can absolutely assume this would happen to me at some point. I guess you won't realize how much that plastic is flexing and how thin/fragile it is until the damage is done. Yes, there needs to be something there to reinforce and distribute the pressure as you stated. I don't even think a large washer would be enough to feel confident. But even if you use something larger, will the plastic simply crack along the lines of your reinforcer? This is not good. We store our top on a scaffold so there is definitely some pressure on those pins as the top is moved into place. I did have the foresight to drill holes in the scaffold platform for those pins to sit in so the entire weight of the top isn't supported by the pins (and the thin plastic above them), but there's no doubt there's a dangerous amount of force being applied to those pins every time we move the top. There are unavoidable times where all the top's weight rests on those 4 pins, and sometimes with some sideways pressure being applied to the pins as well as you shift the top around.
Clearly a design defect not to reinforce it. If you can't place the roof on a flat surface that seems like a problem.

Good to know.
Sponsored

BroncoPls!

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rivian R1S, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does not look good! Were you using a lift or was this being done by hand? I was planning on removing my top quite often, but his does give me pause.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I can’t guess how many hours/days my top has sat on the concrete with those pins supporting all the weight. We already know some are built better than others.

OP
OP
McBronc

McBronc

Big Bend
First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Does not look good! Were you using a lift or was this being done by hand? I was planning on removing my top quite often, but his does give me pause.
All done by hand.

KingWillard

Black Diamond
First Name
Willard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I broke one of the pins on my first Bronco that I bought as an abandoned order (MIC 1.0). We were struggling a little getting the top on. Definitely a weak spot though. I have a hoist set up now for the Bronco that I originally ordered and got in May, and it is easier to line things up, but wouldn’t be surprised if it happened to the MIC 2.0 as there are no changes in the build around the pins.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BroncoDymond88

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sorento
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

One of mine tore off trying to remove the top because I didn't realize it was there. I would like to know how much of a safety issue it is, maybe there are enough other bolts in place that losing even all 4 pins isn't a problem? I pretty much know for a fact that Ford will deny a request to replace the back shell citing user error.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve cracked a couple off. Any recommendations for a preferably black colored fiberglass epoxy to repair?

ColoradoKid26

Badlands
First Name
Naughty Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badsquatch, 2022 F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I cracked one last night installing my hardtop.

I'd love to see an aftermarket solution for this, like washers or a metal clamp around the pins.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I epoxied broken ones and added some washers for additional reinforcement. Will see how they hold up. The fiberglass bottom of the hardtop is extremely thin and brittle. I really think it’s a design flaw and the material should be MUCH thicker And screws in pins should have wide washers.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I epoxied broken ones and added some washers for additional reinforcement. Will see how they hold up. The fiberglass bottom of the hardtop is extremely thin and brittle. I really think it’s a design flaw and the material should be MUCH thicker And screws in pins should have wide washers.
First thing I did after removing the top was remove the 4 locating pins. They are mainly for initially locating the top on the body but are not needed. (And a potential stress point and crack waiting to happen.)

I found it easier to reinstall the top without the locating pins. Because I can set the top down on the body even if not perfectly lined up, and then slide into position as needed.

Sponsored

X JBM X

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've taken the hard top off and put back on a couple dozen times with the TopLift Pro and all the pins are still intact...

MAK3

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F-250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First thing I did after removing the top was remove the 4 locating pins. They are mainly for initially locating the top on the body but are not needed. (And a potential stress point and crack waiting to happen.)

I found it easier to reinstall the top without the locating pins. Because I can set the top down on the body even if not perfectly lined up, and then slide into position as needed.
I did the exact same thing. Easy to put back on and won’t be a problem in the future.
Sponsored