Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pay you don't live ever they use a lot of salt on the roads looks like your frame will last about 2 years
Northern Utah, plenty of salt.

OP
OP
ChrisD

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ugh looks like lots of winter car washes
Haha, yeah, I have a subscription to the drive thru car wash that sprays out the undercarriage. I'd never even known about subscriptions to car washes until I got to Utah. :)

MTNLUV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2024 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How well do the soft tops do in a car wash?

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I joined with a local offroad club, Wasatch Outlaw Wheelers, on Saturday for a trip up to Miller Hill and MIneral Basin.

It was mostly rocks, rocks and more rocks. When there weren't enough rocks, there were more rocks. Everyone was curious about the Bronco going up. For most, it was the first one they'd seen. They're pretty scarce still.

A few notes:

1 pedal drive will get the brakes really hot. I much prefer to put it in M , set it to 1st gear, and just roll along until an obstacle. It seemed really happy that way.

I think I'd have cleared things a lot better with the leveling kit. I'm definitely on board with getting it up a bit higher and I regret not ordering Sasquatch.

The vehicle is capable. The only times I failed to clear an obstacle was because I high centered. One or two more inches of ground clearance would have likely been plenty.

I now know exactly what hangs up on the Bronco as you're going over obstacles. I have photos to prove it! Also my embarrassing video of getting high centered!

The rock rails did okay. Frame mounted ones would be better, but the stock ones worked.

IMG_1805.jpeg

IMG_1811.jpeg

IMG_1822.jpeg

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1838.jpeg

IMG_1839.jpeg

IMG_1840.jpeg

IMG_1841.jpeg

Woah! Looks like the standard Badlands is the wrong car for those loose rocks/boulders on a dirt trail! And the undercarriage already looks 6 years old, bent steel with flaking paint! I think you're correct, the Sasquatch is the trim for those trails!

OP
OP
ChrisD

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seemed to do fine the other day. It was noisy and I was apprehensive, but I pulled out the other end and everything was just fine. It seems really secure when it's properly assembled.

Also, the company we do our car washes with opened a new location close to our house and they're having problems with the machinery. We got stopped in the middle of it the other day in the wife's Lincoln.

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I joined with a local offroad club, Wasatch Outlaw Wheelers, on Saturday for a trip up to Miller Hill and MIneral Basin.

It was mostly rocks, rocks and more rocks. When there weren't enough rocks, there were more rocks. Everyone was curious about the Bronco going up. For most, it was the first one they'd seen. They're pretty scarce still.

A few notes:

1 pedal drive will get the brakes really hot. I much prefer to put it in M , set it to 1st gear, and just roll along until an obstacle. It seemed really happy that way.

I think I'd have cleared things a lot better with the leveling kit. I'm definitely on board with getting it up a bit higher and I regret not ordering Sasquatch.

The vehicle is capable. The only times I failed to clear an obstacle was because I high centered. One or two more inches of ground clearance would have likely been plenty.

I now know exactly what hangs up on the Bronco as you're going over obstacles. I have photos to prove it! Also my embarrassing video of getting high centered!

The rock rails did okay. Frame mounted ones would be better, but the stock ones worked.

IMG_1805.jpeg

IMG_1811.jpeg

IMG_1822.jpeg

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1838.jpeg

IMG_1839.jpeg

IMG_1840.jpeg

IMG_1841.jpeg

Yeah, you add 2" of clearance and then you will drag on other taller obstacles.. Then you will want to add another 2" and so on and so on........

OP
OP
ChrisD

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice ride! Those edges should have been rolled over anyways.
I'm figuring if I get under there with some Rust-O-Leum, it'll look like new! Haha!

If those parts get bad enough, they're just supports and can be cut out and new welded back in. They're not load bearing, just stabilizing.

Sponsored

LostInArizona

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands non-sas 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

... this Bronco is going to cost me an arm and a leg when it's all over!!! 🙃
There is where you are wrong.... It will NEVER be over! What other body parts are you willing to give up? :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
ChrisD

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Note to self: If ever buying a used Bronco, take a look underneath for frame damage! :oops:
Yep, that's for any 4X4.

In this case, it's not the frame, though. It's the transmission support and it's a part you can unbolt and replace.

Here's a photo of a Bronco frame I annotated to show you the part in question:

Ford Bronco Miller Hill / Mineral Basin UT trip in my Badlands check-out-the-bare-bones-2021-ford-bronco-showing-frame-chassis-and-suspension_3

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There was video comparing wildtrack suspension with a base suspension, in that video they took the soft top Wildtrack through a regular car wash.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Woah! Looks like the standard Badlands is the wrong car for those loose rocks/boulders on a dirt trail! And the undercarriage already looks 6 years old, bent steel with flaking paint! I think you're correct, the Sasquatch is the trim for those trails!
Why I will only get a 2dr. But yes, makes a good case for a Sasquatch. I'm still going back and forth in my mind about non-SAS BL or Basesquatch. Gotta see if 4WP is actually going to come out with their disco sway bar for the Bronco and if it's any good.

As with Jeeps, we'll find out pretty quickly what we need to beef up underneath the Bronco. This trip, report, and pics are a very good start. Much thanks to the OP.
Sponsored