Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F350 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 2 buddies and I are starting to explore the BDR in Idaho. This was our first section we were able to do together. I've had my 4 door Badlands since 12/30/21 and have put 9K miles on it so far. This trip was over 1100 alone! This corridor is the only road that separates the Frank Church and Selway Bitterroot Wilderness areas. It is popular with the Adventure bike crowd. The route is over 120 miles one way with most being on dirt and gravel. It's narrow, twisty, exposed in areas, in other words, perfect for the Bronco! I've been gradually building my Bronco up as an overland rig. The best addition so far is the rack from @JcrOffroad. It carried all we needed and more! I also made a custom built sleeping in the back. Hopefully the pictures can help tell the story, but I'd be happy to answer questions about my build and/or the route.
Ford Bronco Magruder Corridor trip with my 2021 Badlands and 2 adventure bikes 20220714_212214
Ford Bronco Magruder Corridor trip with my 2021 Badlands and 2 adventure bikes 20220714_212510
Ford Bronco Magruder Corridor trip with my 2021 Badlands and 2 adventure bikes 20220715_162228
Ford Bronco Magruder Corridor trip with my 2021 Badlands and 2 adventure bikes 20220716_104502
Ford Bronco Magruder Corridor trip with my 2021 Badlands and 2 adventure bikes 20220716_133101
Ford Bronco Magruder Corridor trip with my 2021 Badlands and 2 adventure bikes 20220718_064418
Ford Bronco Magruder Corridor trip with my 2021 Badlands and 2 adventure bikes 20220716_133915
Sponsored

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hell yeah, on the short list for me.

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Awesome area. did a bit of exploring around the Elk City area (did the Elk City Wagon road, not technical, but a great adventure) and the Buffalo Hump area. So many incredible areas in Idaho.

Same direction I will take my Badlands if I am ever deemed worthy enough to get one built (just passed 2 years since reserving...). Nice to see a real fire extinguisher mounted. Looks like you had a fair amount of weight on the rack, any issues with flexing, etc? How about fuel range, any uncomfortable feelings hoping to get to the next station?

Paughco

Outer Banks
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Snoqualmie Valley, Washington, USA, Planet Earth
Vehicle(s)
2001 F-150 XLT and 2022 Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
VERY cool! Some pals and I rode BMW GS motorcycles over the Magruder Corridor back in 2005. It was the last stage of the Nez Perce Rally put on by the Idaho BMW Club. That was a five-day ride, which led us over some amazing off-pavement roads, with each camping spot at a different hot spring. No more off-road riding now, as I've traded the GS in for a S1000XR, but it would be fun to explore that area in my Bronco, if and when it ever comes in.

Forest Service brochure on the Magruder Corridor

Seeya
ATB

Scopebit

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Been all around there but not through there specifically. Looks incredible! Blessed to live in this part of the country. For sure taking note of the additions, well done. Thank you for sharing.

Sponsored

Scopebit

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

VERY cool! Some pals and I rode BMW GS motorcycles over the Magruder Corridor back in 2005. It was the last stage of the Nez Perce Rally put on by the Idaho BMW Club. That was a five-day ride, which led us over some amazing off-pavement roads, with each camping spot at a different hot spring. No more off-road riding now, as I've traded the GS in for a S1000XR, but it would be fun to explore that area in my Bronco, if and when it ever comes in.

Forest Service brochure on the Magruder Corridor

Seeya
ATB
Thanks for the link! I've been wanting to do this since i was a HS kid in Oklahoma. If the wife wont go then i'll have to do it with my son.

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

foremi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, T1 V10, T7, YXZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What carrier for the bike? No issues with the hitch? Is that a crf300?

Curious because I've thought options for my tw...

Squatchit

Badlands
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 3500, 2020 R1250GS, 2006 Volvo V50 T5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the good stuff! When I finally get mine, you will find me in places like this. I ran the Magruder a few years back for the IDBDR. Such a beautiful place. Also nice to see when I get my bronco that I can still load my dirtbike without too much issue.
Thanks for the post!

Sponsored

Summit981

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman, MINI GP2, MINI Countryman
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great to read about a Badlands owner "getting after it" in the great outdoors. Quick questions about your JCR roof rack: I see you ordered the rack with the light bar cut out. Any issues mounting your light bar to this rack? (And, is that the Heretic 22" light bar, by chance?)

OP
OP
4door4family

4door4family

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F350 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What carrier for the bike? No issues with the hitch? Is that a crf300?

Curious because I've thought options for my tw...
The carrier and bike is my buddy's. It is a CRF300 and it's on a Harbor Freight rack he picked up. No issues with the hitch other than removing the spare and mount for clearance purposes. It rode great for 100's of miles!

OP
OP
4door4family

4door4family

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F350 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great to read about a Badlands owner "getting after it" in the great outdoors. Quick questions about your JCR roof rack: I see you ordered the rack with the light bar cut out. Any issues mounting your light bar to this rack? (And, is that the Heretic 22" light bar, by chance?)
@2ata as well. I did order the rack with the cutout. It's cut for a 40" bar and they recommend Baja Designs. I however have really liked Diode Dynamics from @4x4TruckLEDs.com and got the 42" DD combo bar to match my fog light kit.
I ended up cutting out an extra 3/4 inch on each side from a friend with a plasma cutter since the fairing is actually very substantial. I then had to fab up a couple risers mounts and cut the provided brackets a little. It takes time and problem solving, but it's the process that I have really enjoyed about working on this build.

OP
OP
4door4family

4door4family

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F350 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome area. did a bit of exploring around the Elk City area (did the Elk City Wagon road, not technical, but a great adventure) and the Buffalo Hump area. So many incredible areas in Idaho.

Same direction I will take my Badlands if I am ever deemed worthy enough to get one built (just passed 2 years since reserving...). Nice to see a real fire extinguisher mounted. Looks like you had a fair amount of weight on the rack, any issues with flexing, etc? How about fuel range, any uncomfortable feelings hoping to get to the next station?

I hope you get it soon! I did have a fair amount of weight when I had the spare up top. And actually, with my buddy, his bike and all our gear, food, and beer.....we were most likely over the recommended GVW prior to unloading the bike for the ride. The rack was awesome. No flexing, handing the weight and different items like a champ. Had 2 rotopax, traction boards and I did a Milwaukee Packout mount for my recovery kit/tool boxes. I highly recommend it.

Fuel got a little questionable on if I could have made it back across without topping off. So we all filled up in Elk City. The BDR is laid out to never be more than 120 miles from fuel.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jealous! I was supposed to do Magruder last week but the FS said it was still impassable by 4x4.
Sponsored