Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It’s cool to see some FSB’s out there 😎
I've been seeing a lot of acronyms on this forum, and haven't given much thought to them, but this post caught my attention, and now I need to know.
What does FSB and EB stand for, if you don't mind?

OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 4dr Badsquatch. 22 JLUR-XR.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Epic and Unforgettable are exactly the terms for this Run. So happy to have been a part of something this hard. I will add the videos I have from the trip here.

It was a great group of people too! Everyone put in an amazing amount of with tu get the job done. Truly something to look back on and be proud of what we accomplished!

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been seeing a lot of acronyms on this forum, and haven't given much thought to them, but this post caught my attention, and now I need to know.
What does FSB and EB stand for, if you don't mind?
EB is early Bronco, FSB is full size Bronco.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

On Saturday, Oct 1, the Tucson Broncos offroad club decided to tackle Charouleau Gap, just north of Tucson AZ. My wife and I decided to take both our Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, and the JLUR-XR. Little did we know the adventure that awaited us....
Sounds like a trip to Mordor and back. An epic tale, one for the books.
Glad everyone fared well and all of the rigs made it out, for the most part, whole.
This is what these vehicles were made for, and you proved that, and that the Wrangler and Bronco can be friends after all.

OK_Hunter

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infinity g37
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It sounds like a great test of limitations between latest Jeep and bronco. What were your takeaways from a capabilities stand point? I've got a 4 four door badlands Sasquatch, and I'm of the opinion that the JLUR XR would be a better equipped tool for the situation you just experienced, but I would love to hear your opinions on where each vehicle excelled in certain situations (or negatives - even if there will be gnashing of teeth from the die hard bronco crew on here). Thanks!

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OK, so I don't want to be the party pooper, but have to say this;

please, do NOT drive along/in a flowing creek bed or any other body of water. That is NOT what we should consider "treading lightly", in fact, it appears to be irresponsible. Think of even the slightest oil leak, or what those tires to do any living creature or their offspring.

I am NOT a green/leafy person, but come on!

Maybe what followed was Karma! :devilish:

OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It sounds like a great test of limitations between latest Jeep and bronco. What were your takeaways from a capabilities stand point? I've got a 4 four door badlands Sasquatch, and I'm of the opinion that the JLUR XR would be a better equipped tool for the situation you just experienced, but I would love to hear your opinions on where each vehicle excelled in certain situations (or negatives - even if there will be gnashing of teeth from the die hard bronco crew on here). Thanks!
Ok, my honest opinion, the JLUR-XR did slightly better, but only barely. We had such a range of experience with drivers that it can be difficult to tell. Also, that is stock for stock, I would say that the couple of Broncos that were on 37s were an equal match for the JLUR XR, which comes stock with 35s. The advantages I had that were apparent a couple of times: approach and breakover angles, slightly less width on the body, and slightly less weight. And my 2" longer wheel base likely helped a ton on the Impassable climb, but there were some 2 door Jeeps that were loving the shorter wheel base in the rock gardens. Again, it doesn't take much in the way of mods to put both on an even playing field, but stock I'd put the JLUR-XR ever so slightly ahead of a 4 door Badsquatch.

Edit: to add, on this particular trail, the SFA gave me zero advantage over the IFS. Both preformed admirably.

Last edited:

Sponsored

nrlucas

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Buick Regal GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is also a good learning tool for those of us who will be wheeling for the first time. If someone warns you that part of a trail is impassable, it's probably a good idea to take them at their word. Also, always wheel in a group. Look how many people/vehicles (and their associated recovery gear) were involved in making it through this. Don't be the next episode of Matt's Off Road Recovery.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OK, so I don't want to be the party pooper, but have to say this;

please, do NOT drive along/in a flowing creek bed or any other body of water. That is NOT what we should consider "treading lightly", in fact, it appears to be irresponsible. Think of even the slightest oil leak, or what those tires to do any living creature or their offspring.

I am NOT a green/leafy person, but come on!

Maybe what followed was Karma! :devilish:
First, I fully support "Tread Lightly", it's a part of off-roading responcibly.

Yes "Avoid sensitive areas" is a part of "Tread Lightly" but that doesn't mean "NEVER GO THROUGH A STREAM/RIVER BED". Sometimes it's unavoidable (like if it's the only way through on an established route). If driving up that stream was an ecological issue, the trail would likely be closed by the state.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

wow...sounds like a lot of things lined up to make that a trip to remember. Good thing everyone got out and it sounds like everyone worked as a team and had lots of tools at your disposal. All good things and reasons to go with a group, and a warning to us offroading newbs to bring friends with experience!

OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is also a good learning tool for those of us who will be wheeling for the first time. If someone warns you that part of a trail is impassable, it's probably a good idea to take them at their word. Also, always wheel in a group. Look how many people/vehicles (and their associated recovery gear) were involved in making it through this. Don't be the next episode of Matt's Off Road Recovery.
Going along with the idea of preparedness...

Recovery items used:
Winches
Kinetic ropes (20 and 30 ft)
Snatch straps
Soft shackles galore
Shovels
Hammers and pry bars

Traction boards would have helped a couple times, but no one had them this trip. And my winch... was sitting on the floor in my garage. Yay.

OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First, I fully support "Tread Lightly", it's a part of off-roading responcibly.

Yes "Avoid sensitive areas" is a part of "Tread Lightly" but that doesn't mean "NEVER GO THROUGH A STREAM/RIVER BED". Sometimes it's unavoidable (like if it's the only way through on an established route). If driving up that stream was an ecological issue, the trail would likely be closed by the state.
I'll add that this is the desert, where we seek out these kinds of features to wheel in because they are so uncommon and often in very remote areas. Don't worry, we wheel respectfully!
Sponsored