Vernon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2006 F250, Ford 2023 Bronco Badsquatch w/ Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So we drove the Bronco to and from Moab. About 3,000 miles round trip. Did a stopover in Amarillo coming and going to break up the drive. This was a great trip. If you are undecided I would definitely recommend you do the Off Rodeo. Don't miss it!!!

Lodging

So we stayed at the Red Cliffs Lodge the first 3 nights there and then swapped over to the Best Western Canyonlands in Moab for the last 2 nights. Both hotels were great but you can't beat the views and the drive into Red Cliffs. Also, it is really convenient to be there for the Off Rodeo. If I did it over I would probably have just booked 2 nights done the Off Rodeo and swapped over a day earlier just to save a little money. Worth the stay at Red Cliffs for the view and the convenience but once you get past the Off Rodeo you can save money by swapping to a hotel in town and the Best Western Canyonlands was top notch!!!

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_7602.JPG

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_7603.JPG

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_0342.JPG

Off Rodeo and Onion Creek trail 7/24
Our guide was Tyler. Good guy was fun and very informative. We managed to snag the only 2 Dr. Bronco they had out for the run that day. It was a Basesquatch. I never felt it was lacking in capability it did great. Spoke with Tyler after for advice on trails to run and we had finished early enough that he recommended we run Onion Creek trail that evening. Didn't get any pictures or video of that but it was a fun run and the scenery was great. Was getting dark as we came out and got to see a mule deer just off the trail on the way out.
Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_2635

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_2821

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_2823

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_2849

Arches National Park and Willow Spring Rd. 7/25
Had a timed gate entry for 0700 hr. went in and drove the scenic drive until lunch. Went back to Moab for lunch and then returned to Arches by driving in on Willow Springs Rd. so we could see the dinosaur tracks.
Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_7765.JPG

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_7764.JPG

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_7745.JPG

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_0310.JPG

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_0336.JPG

So this is sand dune arch below. It is in a little slot canyon. When I hiked in to see it there was a thunderstorm nearby and it was drawing air through the canyon. The floor is sand so 30 - 35 MPH wind plus sand equals mini sandstorm. I videoed my walk back out and sand got into the lens mechanism on the camera and disabled it for the rest of the trip. Got it fixed at home by blowing the sand out with compressed air. Had 2 cameras with me so was still able to take pictures.

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_0332.JPG

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_0334.JPG

THE balanced rock
Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_0259.JPG

Gemini Bridges and Four Arches trail 7/26
Plan was to just do Gemini Bridges but we missed a turn and ended up driving all of Four Arches trail including all of the blind canyons before we backtracked and found our error. While we were running back out of one of the blind canyons we met up with a family in a rented jeep. They took the same wrong turn and were following our tire tracks. We had the trail guide but they didn't even have a map. Once I got back to the hotel and looked at the trail guide map I realized we had ran all of Four Arches while trying to find our way out. Wife was not amused!!!

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_0371.JPG

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_0377.JPG

Canyonlands National Park, Shafer Trail and Potash Rd. 7/27
Great large views of the canyons from the overlooks. Run down the switchbacks to the canyon floor is cool and then riding out past the dehydration ponds for the potash mine is worth seeing for the color contrast with the surrounding rock. Rode the whole park and then went back to Moab via Shafer Trail and Potash Rd.

Shafer trail running out from the switchbacks
Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_0407.JPG

The switchbacks
Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_0406.JPG

Green River overlook
Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_0422.JPG

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_0464.JPG

PePe on the trail.
Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_0521.JPG

Overlook on Shafer trail of Colorado river at a horseshoe bend. This is actually the same view you would get from Deadhorse State Park as Deadhorse Point is behind and above me.
Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_0527.JPG

There were interesting rock formations all along the trail
Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_0539.JPG

Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_0531.JPG

Potash mine dehydration ponds
Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_0542.JPG

A balanced rock (not THE balanced rock). So this is a landmark in the trail guide. We had an action cam on the device rail filming. The wife and I are looking all around for THE balanced rock. on the action cam audio you can hear us talkiing about we don't see THE balanced rock. Meanwhile on the cam footage a balanced rock is square ahead of us.....DOH. Looking high when we should be looking ahead.
Ford Bronco Moab Off-Rodeo 7/24 - Warning long post with pictures IMG_0547.JPG

Overall the best vacation I think we've ever taken. Did Off Rodeo, 2 National parks and 5 trails (not counting Dome Plateau we did during Off Rodeo). Came away with hundreds of pictures and video for all the trails except Dome Plateau and Onion Creek. Already talking about when we can go back.

IMG_7779.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great pics!

Gotta ask... how hot was it?

OP
OP
Vern

Vern

Badlands
First Name
Vernon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hot!!! External temp gauge on PePe at one point while on trail was at 114 degrees. Most of the time was 95 - 101 or 102. Didn't really find it too uncomfortable though but we have been having 95 plus weather with 65 - 90% humidity at home so it was hot and you sweated but I didn't have to change my shirt 3 times a day. You sweat and it evaporates and you never get your shirt soaked. But you HAVE to have water to hike. Plenty of water. It will suck the moisture right out of your throat. Humidity there is like 8%. Different kind of heat. When you step out of the vehicle it's like getting in a furnace but none of the mugginess I'm used to.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Vern

Vern

Badlands
First Name
Vernon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wanted to but wife was very nervous. Didn't help that a lot of the trails we did had the passenger side on the outside on shelf roads with her looking down the cliff. All of the videos have adult content due to some foul language periodically from the passenger side. Besides my offroad experience is mostly mud and water. Some time on rock in Texas in big hill country but nothing like Moab before. Enjoyed the trails we did. Got to see stuff people just going to the parks never see. Learned a lot will build on that next time.

Joemama

Outer Banks
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

How long did you actually drive at the off-rodeo? I'm thinking of doing it but want some idea of the balance of driving and standing around with instruction.

OP
OP
Vern

Vern

Badlands
First Name
Vernon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

An hour or so of instruction and then out on the trail the rest of the day.

98infinity

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150, 20 Road King, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Can you use your own bronco for this?

OP
OP
Vern

Vern

Badlands
First Name
Vernon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No you drive one of theirs but we took my bronco and did trails after Off Rodeo.

Sponsored

Joemama

Outer Banks
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

did you get the optional insurance in case you damaged the vehicle? was it necessary?

OP
OP
Vern

Vern

Badlands
First Name
Vernon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did get the optional insurance just to be safe. Don't really think it was needed but felt better having it.
Sponsored