First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The best way to measure real MPG is to fill your tank all the way up, and note the mileage you had while doing it. Then, drive for at least half a tank or so. Then, fill the tank all the way up again and jot down the new mileage. Divide the change in mileage by how many gallons that second fill up took. Resetting the mpg gauge and “measuring” it over short distances will never be accurate.
tenor.gif
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ladyinbluebronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

if you reset it right before seeing those “averages” it’s because they’re averaged over a very short period of time. I’m assuming you reset the MPG after you got up to speed, and didn’t let it equalize over 10-20 miles of normal driving. I get about 16-18mpg In my badlands on 91, but if I reset the gauge on the highway and took a picture a mile later, it would say 28mpg.
I had some higher but they were as I dropped my speed. By the end of the day of driving (about 100 miles) I was averaging over 20 mpg. This included country roads, stop and go and highway driving. I’m curious to know if my specific settings for today and the 2nd tank of higher octane made the difference? I drove in the 4A setting also since we had bad winter storms roll through yesterday and had some roads still not cleared. But a lot of areas were very clear. What do you think?

OP
OP

Ladyinbluebronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The best way to measure real MPG is to fill your tank all the way up, and note the mileage you had while doing it. Then, drive for at least half a tank or so. Then, fill the tank all the way up again and jot down the new mileage. Divide the change in mileage by how many gallons that second fill up took. Resetting the mpg gauge and “measuring” it over short distances will never be accurate.
Perfect! I will do that. This is my first vehicle with the digital mileage gauge and I want to be able to read and understand them accurately. Appreciate your positive input.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Perfect! I will do that. This is my first vehicle with the digital mileage gauge and I want to be able to read and understand them accurately. Appreciate your positive input.
The mileage gauges are usually fairly accurate, but only really useful when you let it calculate an average over a fairly long distance. The instantaneous mpg readout is helpful to let you know when you’re being heavy footed, or cruising in the right gear, but is mostly useless when comparing actual numbers.

OP
OP

Ladyinbluebronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The mileage gauges are usually fairly accurate, but only really useful when you let it calculate an average over a fairly long distance. The instantaneous mpg readout is helpful to let you know when you’re being heavy footed, or cruising in the right gear, but is mostly useless when comparing actual numbers.
Good to know. Thanks

Sponsored

LHD

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurais, Corvairs, 914-6, TT, F350 SD
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just finished a 6000 mile round trip to King of the Hammers from FL to CA at freeway speeds of 70-85 mph (96 tops, cause Texas..lol) in a 2 dr base 2.3 m/t with 35 x 10.50 17s. Ran 93 when I could find it and 91 otherwise. My overall average (with corrected miles because of tire size) was 19 on the nose. Not great but not horrible, I was pushing 85 across Texas and getting about 15 avg. I do notice a huge difference above 75. I can get 20ish between 70-75. After that it drops precipitously to 15ish. I know I could have gotten much better if I slowed it down. Premium ranged from $3.69 to $5.27.

BadlandsCable

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m guessing you reset your MPG right before doing these “tests”? The average is fluctuating wildly after only a few tenths of a mile…

The non cruise control screenshots are also all above 40+ current mpg, usually that means you’re coasting. Not really sure what we’re supposed to gather from these.
I reset and hand calculate my mileage. My drink can be considered mixed but is mostly on I-10 65-80 mph.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your dash is not going to display "real" mileage, I believe it calculates the MPG based on fuel rate and of course your speed.

The only "real" way to do this would be to refill each time, drive a set route at a specific speed and then refill (I'd suggest filling until the pump kicks off automatically) and see how much fuel is consumed

Either way, I don't get anywhere near the numbers you're seeing, at ANY speed.

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs