First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Musty smell usually means it has been wet somewhere. take the top and doors off and let it completely air out. Spot clean the carpets and seats with carpet cleaner. Spray lysol on the carpets and in the interior after. Change the cabin air filter. This should take care of it. I had vehicles like this and doing this has worked for me.
Sponsored

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi folks,

Iā€™m on my second Bronco. My first was a 2021 Wildtrak that was totaled, and the second is a 2022 in identical spec (different color).

I picked up the second one used, with 300 miles (seller delivered to me, about 200 miles away) and itā€™s had a musty smell inside since I got it.

I tried an air freshener but canā€™t stand the look of traditional ones. I also have gone over everything and donā€™t believe there are any leaks in the hardtop. Carpets and all weather mats are dry everywhere, as is all glass and plastic.

Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone found a remedy? Iā€™ve had the car detailed and it was better but seems to come back.
i have had it since day 1 2021 bl 4dr sas
dealer said int has mushroom bi products in it lol so always smells as such
i wipe seats often and use cleaners on inside weekly
always comes back hahahah

Twister22

Badlands
First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor 1965 Mustang 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine had the same smell after sitting in the garage a few weeks without driving. I got a few charcoal packs and put under the seats. It seems to have gotten rid of the smell. I think the smell might be all the rubber flooring. Mine has been garaged since I purchased and hasn't been in any weather.

Last edited:

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi folks,

Iā€™m on my second Bronco. My first was a 2021 Wildtrak that was totaled, and the second is a 2022 in identical spec (different color).

I picked up the second one used, with 300 miles (seller delivered to me, about 200 miles away) and itā€™s had a musty smell inside since I got it.

I tried an air freshener but canā€™t stand the look of traditional ones. I also have gone over everything and donā€™t believe there are any leaks in the hardtop. Carpets and all weather mats are dry everywhere, as is all glass and plastic.

Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone found a remedy? Iā€™ve had the car detailed and it was better but seems to come back.
I had a similar issue. A neighbor cat got locked up in my garage and hopped in an open window of my Wrangler. You can guess what he did. Ended up replacing 100% of the carpet and pad. No kind of cleaner would get it out. Cat pee is nasty.

Canoehead26

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi folks,

Just a hunch but I had the same experience years ago with my Ford Ranger. Dealer tried everything but couldn't find the problem. An out of town dealer finally did. It was a torn rubber seal that fit in a floor access hole on my drivers side. The torn rubber was allowing road moisture from rain to infiltrate through the tear and into the carpet underlay. It obviously never had the opportunity to dry thus the musty smell. My truck was known as "The Sinker". The carpet was always dry on top but the underlay stayed wet. Once the replaced the rubber seal and a portion of the carpet underlay the smell was gone. Just an idea trying to help. Good luck.

Sponsored

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Musty smell=moisture water is getting in ,or has entered at so.e point.
Wet dog
Left windows open in rain
Evaporater mold
Bad seals on top
Try top off drying,then Damprid and ozoium.
You never know what happened in the miles before you got it.

DubZuc

Base
First Name
Zuc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 2 Door Base & ā€˜23 4 Door Basequatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am now also experiencing a "musty smell" in my 2023 4 door Basequatch with soft top. I'm the original owner and it only has 5,000 miles on it. I live in the Tampa area and it rained hard for a few days last week. I've cleaned the car inside and out, sprayed Lysol in the vents, and replaced the cabin air filter, put DryRid in to suck out any moisture and the smell is still there. The weather has been nice the last few days so i've left the vehicle parked in the driveway with the windows rolled down for most of the day to air out. I dont have any animals so it's not that. I checked the entire vehicle as best as I could for any water inside and cannot find anything. I cannot pin point where the smell is coming from and it's driving me crazy! I dont smoke and enjoy a clean smelling vehicle. My family doesnt want to ride in the vehicle with me anymore... any other suggestions? @Ford - should I take to the dealer? Is this covered under warranty?

OP
OP
X JBM X

X JBM X

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I put a container of damprid in my trunk and left the car alone in the driveway for a few days with the windows up... the smell seemed to go away from what i can tell (the cooler temps in the northeast help too).

CGCarolinaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base (Hubby) 2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hi folks,

I am original owner brand new 21 Big Bend and mine has that musty smell as well. Mines a soft top, carport kept. No leaks at all in top. Never drove in the rain. When I wash it by hand no leaks at all. I think being closed up might create an off smell. Not sure. I spray my favorite perfume on all the floors n the back. Definitely helped!! lol šŸ˜‚
Sponsored