Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awaiting my Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've been reading threads on driving in 2H and 4A. I drive my WT in sport mode(4A) 95% of the time, will it negatively effect my transfer case/diff/trans? Or wear them out quicker?

It appears when I accelerate from a stop, all 4 wheels are initially engages and shifts to just the rear wheels after launch. After driving the Bronco for about 30 min or so I'm starting to smell something similar to burning oil, similar to when the dealer left the dipstick loose and oil splattered all over the engine bay.(Backstory: After a fully Synthetic oil change at a different Ford dealer, after driving all weekend long I noticed oil splattering everywhere under the hood. I asked them to change the oil (because I wasn't sure how much oil was lost and clean the engine bay after that incident. I got the Bronco back after 3 hours of waiting only to see the engine bay still had oil splattered everywhere, doubt they changed the oil as well, if they did doubt it was fully synthetic.) The burning smell just started happening the last 2 weeks or so, I'm starting to drive the Bronco in normal mode and 2H to see if I'm getting the same smell... Thinking of having my home dealer check and change my oil, dif, trans fluids out when I go in to have the rear cap hardtop replaced... Just trying to narrow down possibilities.
Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You really shouldn’t be driving around on pavement in 4A at all. It and all the other T-Case modes are for off-road only. These are part-time 4x4 trucks.

I know of a few members who claimed to roll around in Sport mode all the time. At this point, not sure if we’ve heard of any significant damage, but I wouldn’t trust that since it would be self reported.

Your T-case has it’s on oil/transmission fluid and you can take care of changing it yourself. Just look up the proper fluid to use on here and you could do that in your driveway.

Replacing a T-case will be roughly around $2K plus labor; so I would want to avoid that at all costs.

Hopefully others and a Ford tech will chime in.

Sorry about that crappy oil change, but nothing ever wrong with you popping the hood while there and even testing the oil after their change to see if it’s full-synthetic and new oil. Testing shouldn’t be crazy expensive someplace local.

Fishwrinkle

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 GC overland 5.7, 18 GC srt 6.4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Why are you saying not to drive in 4a on pavement? That’s what it’s for. It only engages 4wd when slipping occurs. You’re perfectly fine to use it on dry pavement. I’ve had awd, 4a and 4wd vehicles most of my life and never had an issue with 4a being left on all the time. My 02 Silverado with almost 300k on it was always in 4a and never had any driveline issues other than normal wear. Shit, ford’s default for sport mode is 4a. 4a is great for launches too. Ford has said it’s fine. Just read it somewhere here just this week. Hit up Ducati or flip

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You can also switch it back to 2WD after engaging Sport mode.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

4A is perfectly acceptable for on road and off road in any type of conditions according to Ford.

I don’t personally use it every day, but I wouldn’t be afraid to whatsoever.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why are you saying not to drive in 4a on pavement? That’s what it’s for. It only engages 4wd when slipping occurs. You’re perfectly fine to use it on dry pavement. I’ve had awd, 4a and 4wd vehicles most of my life and never had an issue with 4a being left on all the time. My 02 Silverado with almost 300k on it was always in 4a and never had any driveline issues other than normal wear. Shit, ford’s default for sport mode is 4a. 4a is great for launches too. Ford has said it’s fine. Just read it somewhere here just this week. Hit up Ducati or flip
Since @Ducati1098 cleared that up, guess I’m wrong. I have 4A and only used it on the street once when it was a hard rain with what felt like an inch of water on the street so I figured it was ok.

With the confirmed info, think I’ll try to use it whenever driving in steady rain on the highway. On Ice, I’d put it into Slippery GOAT mode since I wouldn’t be driving very fast then anyway.

OP
OP
AK007

AK007

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awaiting my Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm starting to think the oil smell is residual oil from the splatter that wasn't cleaned well by the dealer. I don't use ac that often so I didnt smell it back in the summer, but now that its getting colder on the east coast I have started using the heat and thats probably pulling it into the cabin? I'll have my home dealer check it out.

But great info on the 4A! Thanks everyone!

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've been reading threads on driving in 2H and 4A. I drive my WT in sport mode(4A) 95% of the time, will it negatively effect my transfer case/diff/trans? Or wear them out quicker?

It appears when I accelerate from a stop, all 4 wheels are initially engages and shifts to just the rear wheels after launch. After driving the Bronco for about 30 min or so I'm starting to smell something similar to burning oil, similar to when the dealer left the dipstick loose and oil splattered all over the engine bay.(Backstory: After a fully Synthetic oil change at a different Ford dealer, after driving all weekend long I noticed oil splattering everywhere under the hood. I asked them to change the oil (because I wasn't sure how much oil was lost and clean the engine bay after that incident. I got the Bronco back after 3 hours of waiting only to see the engine bay still had oil splattered everywhere, doubt they changed the oil as well, if they did doubt it was fully synthetic.) The burning smell just started happening the last 2 weeks or so, I'm starting to drive the Bronco in normal mode and 2H to see if I'm getting the same smell... Thinking of having my home dealer check and change my oil, dif, trans fluids out when I go in to have the rear cap hardtop replaced... Just trying to narrow down possibilities.
Hi, here is the sample from my 2023 Badland with just 6800 miles.. I suggest you drain the Transfer Case and save a sample of the fluid. carefully watch the drain plug that it is magnetic and will give an indication of metal in play.. Bright red fluid is new Mercon LV.. Dark fluid is right out of transfer case with 6800 miles.. The transfer case uses two quarts of Ford Mercon LV fluid..

IMG_9474.jpeg

IMG_9473.jpeg
Sponsored