First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot, Honda Civic, GMC Acadia, Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Has there been any resolution on this? I'm experiencing the same issue. 22' Wildtrak 13K miles so not "new burn in smell" mostly occurs when wet/raining, drivers side when you come to a stopped. just started happening. no hard braking or anything stupid like that ie. ripping it up in the mud splashing through lakes etc. just wondering if you found the cause! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Mine hasn't done it again. I actually have been driving the heck out of it, including mud and water.

Dewey44

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Has there been any resolution on this? I'm experiencing the same issue. 22' Wildtrak 13K miles so not "new burn in smell" mostly occurs when wet/raining, drivers side when you come to a stopped. just started happening. no hard braking or anything stupid like that ie. ripping it up in the mud splashing through lakes etc. just wondering if you found the cause! Thanks in advance!
Exact same issue here on my 23‘ Raptor. Been driving it for around 9 months so it’s not new car related. First noticed it after driving in an ice storm last week. Again last night after driving in rain. Starting to wonder if this is related to the windshield wiper recall notice I received. Going to schedule that now.

dkflightnurse

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot, Honda Civic, GMC Acadia, Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Exact same issue here on my 23‘ Raptor. Been driving it for around 9 months so it’s not new car related. First noticed it after driving in an ice storm last week. Again last night after driving in rain. Starting to wonder if this is related to the windshield wiper recall notice I received. Going to schedule that now.
The first time it happened was in slosh and snow but the other times (about 10) was related to wet/rain. There has been times when I'm driving in the same conditions and it didn't happen. It's very strange since its rather pungent when it does happen and I'm waiting for it to reveal itself in the form of a fire. :oops: I inspected the engine bay but never found anything out of the ordinary. let me know if the dealership says anything about it!

Niebs22

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OB 2 DR 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

4,100 on the clock of my 2.7L 2 door and I'm getting a burning smell every time I return home (about a 1500ft highway climb) - smells more like oil or brakes than rubber, but I was hoping it was just because it was new, but no....

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
4,100 on the clock of my 2.7L 2 door and I'm getting a burning smell every time I return home (about a 1500ft highway climb) - smells more like oil or brakes than rubber, but I was hoping it was just because it was new, but no....
Good Afternoon, Jeff! I would be glad to help you out with this Bronco smell concern if you are in need of assistance. Just shoot us a PM with your VIN and dealer name/location, and I'll get right on it. To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation". Thank you!

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've noticed this from time to time as well over the last few months, seems to happen when wet and sloppy, and I also think salt might play a factor.

1811RET

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco / 2022 Harley Road King Special
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had a 2023 Explorer ST with just over 10,000 miles that was giving me the same burnt oil or fluid smells. I was on an Explorer ST forum and this was a common problem there as well. Maybe has something to do with the turbos?

jneuman999

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is my first time posting on the site. I've been lurking since I purchased my 2023 Badlands.

I too noticed the smell of burning rubber /hot smell. This occurred after a 2-hour drive at about 70 mph on Interstate 94 through a fairly heavy rainstorm (yes.. it's been 50 here in MN in February). This is the first time I've noticed it and I have about 4700 miles on the Bronco. The smell was most noticeable from the driver side front wheel well, but I couldn't smell it in the cabin. At the time I reached in and tested that brake caliper for heat, and it was cold... so not brakes. I noticed the smell the next morning on my short commute to work (long enough to reach normal operating temperature), but it was much less intense. I haven't smelled it since during several other drives.

I got under the Broco this morning to look around a bit. I noticed that the primary catalytic converter sits in that area to the right of the driver side wheel well. The converter comes off the downtube of the turbo on that side and probably gets pretty toasty. Mine had some salt residue (we did have some snow with a large salt application in early January) and some other staining like it may get wet.

I have a theory that this is an issue of road grime (rubber/oil/antifreeze from the road) getting washed off the road right onto the catalytic converter. Some others have posted about what sounds like a similar smell after flat towing behind an RV on the first couple of drives. I think the conclusion is the same, that it's road grime that accumulates and eventually burns off the exhaust components.

Just a theory, but for now I'm not going to worry about it. Will report back if/when I smell it again and see if I can isolate it to the exhaust in that area.

Jroon0378

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
2023 Outer Banks 7500 miles and I have noticed a rubber burning smell coming from the heat vents during wet or rainy driving only haven’t experienced it any other time.

Sponsored

51Creature

Wildtrak
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Started to notice this about month ago as well. 21 wildtrak with over 60 thousand km on it. It is definitely something noticed when we are in wet conditions, and have had it happen quite frequently as we get a lot of wet snow, rain , and frequent freeze/thaw cycles. Happening as I type this today as well. Notice while stopped after a drive time that gets vehicle up to temp. Goes away after it is turned off and cools down. Checked everything under hood and brakes when stopped and put it up on my lift and have seen nothing melted or otherwise out of he ordinary. Did put new rear pads and rotors on and noticed it was after that initially but it’s front not rear for sure. Can smell it once stopped inside then seems to go away. Just waiting for it to catch fire. Mentioned to local dealer and of course they are clueless.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is my first time posting on the site. I've been lurking since I purchased my 2023 Badlands.

I too noticed the smell of burning rubber /hot smell. This occurred after a 2-hour drive at about 70 mph on Interstate 94 through a fairly heavy rainstorm (yes.. it's been 50 here in MN in February). This is the first time I've noticed it and I have about 4700 miles on the Bronco. The smell was most noticeable from the driver side front wheel well, but I couldn't smell it in the cabin. At the time I reached in and tested that brake caliper for heat, and it was cold... so not brakes. I noticed the smell the next morning on my short commute to work (long enough to reach normal operating temperature), but it was much less intense. I haven't smelled it since during several other drives.

I got under the Broco this morning to look around a bit. I noticed that the primary catalytic converter sits in that area to the right of the driver side wheel well. The converter comes off the downtube of the turbo on that side and probably gets pretty toasty. Mine had some salt residue (we did have some snow with a large salt application in early January) and some other staining like it may get wet.

I have a theory that this is an issue of road grime (rubber/oil/antifreeze from the road) getting washed off the road right onto the catalytic converter. Some others have posted about what sounds like a similar smell after flat towing behind an RV on the first couple of drives. I think the conclusion is the same, that it's road grime that accumulates and eventually burns off the exhaust components.

Just a theory, but for now I'm not going to worry about it. Will report back if/when I smell it again and see if I can isolate it to the exhaust in that area.
I think your on to something. We flat towed our '21 with 15K miles 400 miles through a snow storm then took a long drive with several stops in Death Valley. There were 4 of us riding and we all noticed the 'hot' smell, particularly at stops. We did the same over the next two weeks and the smell gradually faded away. I think it was road grime accumulation on exhaust components during the flat tow burning off.

Boostedblues

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2011 F-250, 2004 Ranger 2016 Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Have your front pinion seal checked. Mine was leaking and I smelled something similar. Mostly after using 4 wheel drive.

65CarryAll

Heritage
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The last 2 door Blazer (ZR2)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
It could be a minor coolant leak. It leaks on something hot and burns. I had this on a vehicle and it smells just like rubber. Mostly only noticeable when parked in the garage hot. Outside the wind dissipates it easily. I never smelled it inside the vehicle. Inspect closely with a light and mechanic mirror.
Sponsored