Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think they made an episode of Seinfeld about this....

wrangal

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Chief Edition
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I once had a car go from new car smell to gut wrenching mildew smell overnight. It was black mold in the A/C and NOTHING would make it go away. Once it had taken hold it kept coming back and coming back. I had to get rid of the car.

Sponsored

StevieWonder

Black Diamond
First Name
Stevie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3/27 OG Order now 2024 Cactus Grey Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife ( girl friend at the time) purchased a brand new Olds Cutlass off the showroom floor back in the late 80’s. Having never owned a vehicle that wasn’t a Ford when I sat in the car I thought the car had a musty smell. I even commented “ if this is the GM new car smell then they have a serious problem”. Turned out the car would fill up with water when it rained. After a year of taking back to the dealer to get it resolved we went with the Maryland Lemon law and we received almost all of our money back. The moral of the story, if it smells musty something is allowing water inside the vehicle. Good luck.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dehumidifier then ozone with the ac running.

BaseManSquatch

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Get the AC checked out or at the very least get a new cabin filter.

Jawaburger

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2 Door, Manual, Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My floor mats get musty in the winter from the constant dampness and the windows being closed. Pull your floor mats out and wash them, then let them air dry completely before putting them back. Leave the windows down for a bit. I usually pull my floormats when washing my car and soap them up and power wash them.

Sponsored

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Check the cargo lid (underneath), I'm surprised no one mentioned this......it's carpeted, if you have stuff in there (or maybe even if you don't) it will get condensation and get really really musty. To the point you can smell it in inside (with the top on). This may just be a MGV/vinyl issue since we are typically the ones washing it out, but I think the exhaust would pull in from the drain valve below.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As in the Seinfeld episode, I took my Bronco to it's first oil change. Somehow, the guy doing the change couldn't get filter screwed on. 90 minutes later, they finally give it back. I get in and it stinks of the most HORRID flop sweat. Ohhhh!!! Rolled around with the windows down for 20 minutes. It dissipated completely over the next few days (finally went away). I felt really lucky!

Always worth a chuckle:

OP
OP
X JBM X

X JBM X

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
ok. i'm finally at a computer where i can actually read, quote, and type!!

thanks everyone for the suggestions.

for a little more added context:

the truck has a hardtop, and on many occasions i've removed it completely and it's sat in the baking sun (long enough for anything to dry). the carpets are not wet, the rear cargo area has stuff in it (i haven't checked it lately) but the smell was in the truck before i got it (when cargo was empty) and still has the smell.

i will say it gets better and worse, usually better when i drive the car / have constant door & window openings, but if i leave everything buttoned up for a few days it tends to smell not-so-great.

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ok. i'm finally at a computer where i can actually read, quote, and type!!

thanks everyone for the suggestions.

for a little more added context:

the truck has a hardtop, and on many occasions i've removed it completely and it's sat in the baking sun (long enough for anything to dry). the carpets are not wet, the rear cargo area has stuff in it (i haven't checked it lately) but the smell was in the truck before i got it (when cargo was empty) and still has the smell.

i will say it gets better and worse, usually better when i drive the car / have constant door & window openings, but if i leave everything buttoned up for a few days it tends to smell not-so-great.
Rear cargo area - just check the back of the lid. It probably doesn't matter if there's stuff in there or not, once it starts, it's pretty hard to get rid of it.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hi folks,

I’m on my second Bronco. My first was a 2021 Wildtrak that was totaled, and the second is a 2022 in identical spec (different color).

I picked up the second one used, with 300 miles (seller delivered to me, about 200 miles away) and it’s had a musty smell inside since I got it.

I tried an air freshener but can’t stand the look of traditional ones. I also have gone over everything and don’t believe there are any leaks in the hardtop. Carpets and all weather mats are dry everywhere, as is all glass and plastic.

Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone found a remedy? I’ve had the car detailed and it was better but seems to come back.
Good morning! If you send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info, I can assist with your odor concerns on my end.
Sponsored