Sponsored

My adventure of installing the FabFours Premium Winch Bumper (spoiler: it was my own fault)

gemask

Badlands
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey everyone, just thought I'd give you the anthology of what I went through to get the Fab Fours premium Winch bumper installed on my 21 Badlands. Spoiler alert, it all could have been fixed by actually going to get measurements myself.

So, at the beginning I was planning on getting the FabFours Stubby bumper because it seemed like about the best option out there that works with the factory skid and didn't have an awful approach angle for a winch bumper. Then they released the Premium Bumper, which is essentially just the bumper portion of a Grumper, and actually looked pretty good approach angle wise and everything. By the time I had ordered the Premium bumper I had already picked up a Badland Apex 12k winch from HF for a steal of $450. Which according to the HF website would fit just fine (listed width of 21 1/4" and depth of 6 5/16") This was the first mistake, trusting HF on their measurements.

Bumper comes in, I'm stoked and super excited to get this thing put on. I go to test fit the winch... doesn't fit. Actual dimensions are 23 1/4" wide and 6 11/16" deep), with a space of about 22 1/2" wide and 6 1/4" deep in the bumper, the project begins.. It's like a picture book, so I apologize if you have slow internet..

Ford Bronco My adventure of installing the FabFours Premium Winch Bumper (spoiler: it was my own fault) IMG_1204.JPG

The plan was to cut the side plates marked in red out and spread them apart enough to fit the winch.

Ford Bronco My adventure of installing the FabFours Premium Winch Bumper (spoiler: it was my own fault) IMG_1256.JPG

After many hours of cutting, grinding, and using about every tool known to man, I got the side plates cut out and moved out far enough to get the winch in place. Excuse the glove in frame..

Ford Bronco My adventure of installing the FabFours Premium Winch Bumper (spoiler: it was my own fault) 67494679182__D1589091-6CEB-4CD6-94DA-DD97D356B408.JPG

Test fitting the cut down side plates to make sure they fit well enough to weld back in.

Ford Bronco My adventure of installing the FabFours Premium Winch Bumper (spoiler: it was my own fault) 67495346003__120D089A-7565-41AA-8ECC-2127BC9A3971.JPG

Ford Bronco My adventure of installing the FabFours Premium Winch Bumper (spoiler: it was my own fault) 67495347076__FECF688B-1550-4988-9117-47F3B2903225.JPG

Flux core welding is a lot of things but I don't think anyone has ever called it pretty.

Ford Bronco My adventure of installing the FabFours Premium Winch Bumper (spoiler: it was my own fault) IMG_1273.JPG

Ford Bronco My adventure of installing the FabFours Premium Winch Bumper (spoiler: it was my own fault) IMG_1274.JPG

"Grinder and Paint makes you the welder you ain't"

Ford Bronco My adventure of installing the FabFours Premium Winch Bumper (spoiler: it was my own fault) 67546521693__BAB256B5-661C-4156-994C-5F7F9905F32C.JPG

After painting and clearancing the access holes for the winch mounting bolts I was finally able to set the bumper relatively close the the bronco and get a feel for what it was going to be like.

Ford Bronco My adventure of installing the FabFours Premium Winch Bumper (spoiler: it was my own fault) 67545849811__A51F3B45-7452-4877-84FF-D58A84002403.JPG

Routed the sensor harness out of the way of the winch, plus wired up my Diode Dynamics Fog lights to the factory harness to save an upfitter switch.

Ford Bronco My adventure of installing the FabFours Premium Winch Bumper (spoiler: it was my own fault) 7080000A-EFDB-4CB1-AE76-E598144FD2EA

Ford Bronco My adventure of installing the FabFours Premium Winch Bumper (spoiler: it was my own fault) 9C9CB325-D644-485C-875C-E1216562A4F2

After much cussing, and discussing holding the bumper up, got it solidly mounted and aligned fairly well.

Ford Bronco My adventure of installing the FabFours Premium Winch Bumper (spoiler: it was my own fault) IMG_1325.JPG

Ford even gave us a nice little no drill mounting spot for the battery disconnect on the Winch.

Ford Bronco My adventure of installing the FabFours Premium Winch Bumper (spoiler: it was my own fault) 67549133993__02FB26C2-D073-4DD6-A59D-E56157CC7333.JPG

The view out of the front camera isn't half bad either.

All in all, I'm please with how the bumper turned out, I will probably be the only person with a Badland 12k winch in one of these, so that's pretty cool. But the moral of the story is, don't trust HF on their measurements, go to a store and grab a tape measure to find out for yourself.

Ford Bronco My adventure of installing the FabFours Premium Winch Bumper (spoiler: it was my own fault) 67570884031__E029DDB5-A91F-41C5-BEE6-A61C65F35D5B.JPG
Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Love your can-do attitude and actually fitting this thing yourself! Plus.... FLUX! Sure hope you weren't welding in nothing but silk pants and gloves (LFMF, there are scars in delicate places).

BTW: If you wanted something which will change your life, try these beauties out! 1,000% better than flapper discs, each one lasts about as long as 20 flapper discs and the finish is better. Typically you can buy singles at a Central Welding or gas store, so you don't have to stump up for the 25 pack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AW16GDM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

From this:
Ford Bronco My adventure of installing the FabFours Premium Winch Bumper (spoiler: it was my own fault) corner weld

To paint-ready in 1 step.
Ford Bronco My adventure of installing the FabFours Premium Winch Bumper (spoiler: it was my own fault) finished corner

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol, I thought this was the after. My welds don't look that good after I grind them.

OP, any completed side shots? Not a big fan of FF but that bumper looks fairly tucked in for having a winch in there.

Sponsored
OP
OP
gemask

gemask

Badlands
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lol, I thought this was the after. My welds don't look that good after I grind them.

OP, any completed side shots? Not a big fan of FF but that bumper looks fairly tucked in for having a winch in there.
Here's a few pics I just grabbed in the garage.
Ford Bronco My adventure of installing the FabFours Premium Winch Bumper (spoiler: it was my own fault) IMG_1440.JPG

Ford Bronco My adventure of installing the FabFours Premium Winch Bumper (spoiler: it was my own fault) IMG_1442.JPG

Ford Bronco My adventure of installing the FabFours Premium Winch Bumper (spoiler: it was my own fault) IMG_1439.JPG

Ford Bronco My adventure of installing the FabFours Premium Winch Bumper (spoiler: it was my own fault) IMG_1438.JPG

I had the angle wrong on my phone a bit, it's more like 7" from the front of the grill.

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is the look Im going for Blue!! I have the FF rear bumper, which Im happy with.

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP, I take it Colorado doesnt have to have a front license plate? Looking to see where you will put your license plate. I know I have seen one connected in front of the fairlead, but wondering what you will do?

OP
OP
gemask

gemask

Badlands
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP, I take it Colorado doesnt have to have a front license plate? Looking to see where you will put your license plate. I know I have seen one connected in front of the fairlead, but wondering what you will do?
Colorado does have front plates, I'm planning on just running without one until I get in trouble. Ran without a front plate on my 17 GT mustang for 3.5 years without any issues, so we'll see how long it lasts on the bronco hahq.

Sponsored