First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When the day comes to pick up my Bronco that I ordered, what if the dealer applies their leverage and starts with the monkey business?

Window etching, Hydrogen in the tires, high percentage rates, low trade-ins, mandatory maintainence, etc I've heard a lot of stories about less than reputable dealer practices along these lines. While my dealer has been very nice and super attentive so far, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak.

What should I be prepared for? Has anyone experienced this when picking up their ordered vehicle? Solid advice is always greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I told my dealer, “Do not touch the car. I want it just as it comes off the delivery truck. Do I need to write a letter to the General Manager to insure this happens?”

Mason09

Badlands
First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4dr Bronco Badlands/22 Expedition Stealth
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It all depends on the dealership! Some are great and some are terrible! We don’t add anything to our customer ordered vehicles unless requested by the customer. Interest rates are awful though right now.

OP
OP
jimcalverley

jimcalverley

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am ready to give them the chance to finance me a 96 month loan at 11% rate, and I'll just pay it off the next month.
Yeah I am not terribly worried about the financing part of it - I have excellent credit and I’ve already had that conversation with the sales guy, so he knows if it comes back at a ridiculous rate that I’ll know its monkey business, but I can always take it, drive it off the lot and refinance the next day.

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why not negotiate those things now and get a signed offer sheet to prevent any delivery day surprises?? Most Bronco ordering veterans would advocate for negotiating these items while you ordered instead of hoping your dealer does the right thing. And as far as financing and trade-ins, get third party rates and offers before going to the dealership. Dealers can't force you to finance inhouse.

OP
OP
jimcalverley

jimcalverley

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It all depends on the dealership! Some are great and some are terrible! We don’t add anything to our customer ordered vehicles unless requested by the customer. Interest rates are awful though right now.
So, is it fair to say that if my salesperson understands clearly that i do not want any “modifications” made to the vehicle, that they won’t try those tactics? And again, nothing’s indicated that they would - so far they’ve been stellar.

OP
OP
jimcalverley

jimcalverley

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Why not negotiate those things now and get a signed offer sheet to prevent any delivery day surprises?? Most Bronco ordering veterans would advocate for negotiating these items while you ordered instead of hoping your dealer does the right thing. And as far as financing and trade-ins, get third party rates and offers before going to the dealership. Dealers can't force you to finance inhouse.
Totally agree, but they can also refuse to give me the vehicle, too. That is the leverage they have. I can always walk away, but I’d be walking away from something I had to wait a while for. Not as long as some, but still.
To your point, I hope to have those conversations prior to the vehicle’s arrival as a preventative measure.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Excellent advice!!!

Like many of us here, I had never special ordered a vehicle before. It’s a different experience. Shockingly, a lot is NOT said, indicated, or documented. Why not????

Fortunately, my dealer was straight forward….honest….

FrankenRodz

Base
First Name
sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base 2 - Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Who's the Dealership?
I bought my first Bronco from Watertown Ford, and they were great. Started with all the dealer adds, and I said; "Listen, I'm flipping the truck so I don't need anything done to it."
Bad news was, they didn't do a thing - not even taking the plastic off the seats! Great folks!
2nd Bronco came from Best Ford in Nashua, NH and they were the ultimate dealer from hell.
I was there for 2 hours, with every bullcrap thing you could imagine - from nitrogen in the tires, to a several thousand dollar no name extended warranty, and much more.
Best of luck!

Sponsored

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger, 2017 Toyota Highlander, 2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This

Mason09

Badlands
First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4dr Bronco Badlands/22 Expedition Stealth
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, is it fair to say that if my salesperson understands clearly that i do not want any “modifications” made to the vehicle, that they won’t try those tactics? And again, nothing’s indicated that they would - so far they’ve been stellar.
I think you’ll be fine! I wouldn’t worry too much

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You should have already researched your dealer to know what they will do. If you haven't then do it now to know what to plan for.

I knew my dealer would pull the "VIN sticker" scam on me. But I already had a plan. I let them put it on and then I went back a few days later (you see, now they couldn't withhold the vehicle) after I had gotten an email from them asking me to rate their performance with Ford. Now I had the leverage.

I gently suggested that my rating on the Ford survey would be compromised by my dissatisfaction with paying for the stickers, that in my humble opinion, didn't add the needed security that they said they would provide.

They issued me a check and I was on my merry way.

Like I said. Have a plan. This also means have your financing in place BEFORE you walk in the door.

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Even the best dealers showed some real crap if the inbound unit was somewhat of a hard to get build. From the stories here, the likelihood of shadiness goes up based on the rarity of the build allocation for the dealer. Assuming you’ve got a mild build should be fairly straightforward. Navigating the price protection flow charts should be practiced in advance if necessary. Have a long list of dealer add on’s that you would take if it comes down to a stand-off. I was willing to take, door key pad, OEM ford mats, all the way up to tube doors if it made the deal go through with my $2650 in price protection on the delivered truck. Didn’t have to do any of it.

I had back up financing from my credit union rate and told them they just have to match it which they did (4.35% for 72)

It can go easy but you have to remain calm and remain level headed. Kindness goes a long way. No thank you is very powerful.

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When the day comes to pick up my Bronco that I ordered, what if the dealer applies their leverage and starts with the monkey business?

Window etching, Hydrogen in the tires, high percentage rates, low trade-ins, mandatory maintainence, etc I've heard a lot of stories about less than reputable dealer practices along these lines. While my dealer has been very nice and super attentive so far, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak.

What should I be prepared for? Has anyone experienced this when picking up their ordered vehicle? Solid advice is always greatly appreciated.
Be prepared for everything you listed. They or should I say most dealers job is to put the screws to you. They will see what sticks.
Sponsored

Last edited: