First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Xterra Pro-4X 2014 Focus SE 5MT 1994 H-D
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The title says it all. The high admission price of a new Bronco, along with changing circumstances (read: spousal support), has dashed my plans for a new Bronco. My $100 reservation was quickly refunded - thank you Grainger! I still want something similar, so after looking at the alternatives, I'm now actively searching for a used, but well kept Nissan Xterra Pro-4X. It seems like the perfect fit, with a NA 4.0L V6 (available with a 6 speed manual with clutch start override button) and standard equipment including a rear locker, Bilstien shocks, built in off-road and fog lights, roof rack, full gauges including volt meter and oil pressure, and a 9 speaker Rockford-Fosgate stereo with 6 CD changer. It even has some things I wasn't going to get with the Bronco, like a good sized cargo area with rear seats that fold perfectly flat. And I could have one this week! Maybe in a few years I can find a nice Squatched Bronco coming off lease....

Ford Bronco My Bronco Dreams Are Gone Polish_20210527_173701537

Ford Bronco My Bronco Dreams Are Gone vqwvautko8xtlazga2jx

And the camper kit is pretty cool, too!

Ford Bronco My Bronco Dreams Are Gone 107315a505fed03f83cfd4570152a8c7

Ford Bronco My Bronco Dreams Are Gone thumbnail-364x204
Sponsored

Last edited:

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The title says it all. The high admission price of a new Bronco, along with changing circumstances (read: spousal support), has dashed my plans for a new Bronco. My $100 reservation was quickly refunded - thank you Grainger! I still want something similar, so after looking at the alternatives, I'm now actively searching for a used, but well kept Nissan Xterra Pro-4X. It seems like the perfect fit, with a NA 4.0L V6 (available with a 6 speed manual with clutch start override button) and standard equipment including a rear locker, built in off-road and fog lights, full gauges including volt meter and oil pressure, and a 9 speaker Rockford-Fosgate stereo with 6 CD changer. It even has some things I wasn't going to get with the Bronco, like a good sized cargo area with rear seats that fold perfectly flat. And I could have one this week! Maybe in a few years I can find a nice Squatched Bronco coming off lease....
I have an '05 Off Road (what the Pro 4x was called before it was the Pro 4x). It has 218k miles. It has gone through one clutch and one rear differential rebuild. I need to do the brakes (about every 50k), the front cats should be replaced (but probably won't, depending on when I get my Bronco) and I need to replace a side airbag actuator. Fighting rust in the upper Midwest. But, for a sixteen year old (purchased as a CPO in 2008 with 30k), what a great and reliable vehicle. If the Bronco hadn't been released I'd be looking for a '15 Pro 4x. Great off-road, and great in the winter with good winter tires. I seldom use 4wd in anything but heavy snow. Good choice on your part.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
What year? It looks to be in great shape. Sorry your plans were changed but Xterras are fun and definitely can move. I worked for Nissan for years and drove them when I could.

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
MT xTerra (especially newer ones) are super hard to find. I'd have no problems driving one if I could find one.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First off Xterras are awesome! Secondly, sorry about your circumstances changing. I pray for your good fortune moving forward and hope you can one day get your Bronco!

bpurtz

First Edition
First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Rubi, Sierra Denali, Taco TRD Pro, 4Run LTD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Maybe you should consider a Jeep Rubicon?

Sponsored
OP
OP
HeritageRider

HeritageRider

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have an '05 Off Road (what the Pro 4x was called before it was the Pro 4x). It has 218k miles. It has gone through one clutch and one rear differential rebuild. I need to do the brakes (about every 50k), the front cats should be replaced (but probably won't, depending on when I get my Bronco) and I need to replace a side airbag actuator. Fighting rust in the upper Midwest. But, for a sixteen year old (purchased as a CPO in 2008 with 30k), what a great and reliable vehicle. If the Bronco hadn't been released I'd be looking for a '15 Pro 4x. Great off-road, and great in the winter with good winter tires. I seldom use 4wd in anything but heavy snow. Good choice on your part.
How many miles were on it when the clutch went? One of the Xterras I'm looking at is a 2011 manual with 98k miles, and they don't know if the clutch was ever replaced. They don't have the service records, and Carfax isn't showing it done. Did you ever have the valve adjustment done, and what did it cost? Thanks for any help!

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Bronco will be waiting for you my friend. I had to cancel my day 1 reservation and get in the back of the line since I wasn’t going to be ready in the next month or two (in hindsight should’ve probably just kept it with delays lol)

We’ll still see ya on the trails where everyone gets a wave!

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How many miles were on it when the clutch went? One of the Xterras I'm looking at is a 2011 manual with 98k miles, and they don't know if the clutch was ever replaced. They don't have the service records, and Carfax isn't showing it done. Did you ever have the valve adjustment done, and what did it cost? Thanks for any help!
About 170k.

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No maintenance outside of oil and fluid changes, a rear diff rebuild, an alternator, brakes, two sets of plugs and a clutch.

OP
OP
HeritageRider

HeritageRider

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Maybe you should consider a Jeep Rubicon?
I've thought about it, but four things are keeping me from going that way.
1. Price - even used Rubis are comparatively pricey.
2. Chrysler/Jeep reliability.
3. On-road manners.
4. Lack of amenities.
Sponsored