Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you’re looking for an inexpensive and super simple way to add GMRS to your Bronco, here’s my solution…

First, antenna mount: I figured, “why spend a bunch of money for a piece of metal, a couple of holes and some company’s logo plastered all over it?”. Instead, I just took a scrap piece of square tubing I had laying around, cut off about an inch and half, drilled a hole all the way through it. Couple coats of paint and done. Bottom hole is where the screw on the cowling next to the radio antenna holds it in place. Top hole is for a 3/8” antenna mount. I’ve got a ghost antenna but this would work for any type of antenna.

Next, where to mount the radio itself: I’ve always liked those radios with the detachable face. Just gives a lot more options. In my case, I’ve got a Wouxon KG-1000G but there are others out there with this feature. I wanted it to be accessible in case I ever need to connect the programming cable to a laptop. And close to a power source. Without having to tear apart a bunch of stuff to get at it. Answer? Glove box. I already had one of those cheap glove box organizers so just slid it into the top section. Upfitter switch power source is right there. (mine’s wired to AUX2)

Now where to put the radio faceplate? Wanted it to be easily viewable and not have to drill holes or glue crap to my dash. Also wanted it to be “out of sight out of mind” for any sticky fingered punks that may stop to admire my Bronco. A couple months ago I had picked up one of those cheap storage compartments that clip to the top of the windshield frame above the sunvisors. Nice place to put glasses, pens, flashlight, etc. What a great place to also mount the faceplate. My first thought was to cut a hole in the front of it and slide in the faceplate so that it was just barely protruding out the front - but ended up just screwing it to the front of that cup and looks every bit as good. And I don’t lose the storage feature of compartment. Right above the drivers side sinvisor. Nice and hidden yet easily viewable by me when I need it.

Lastly - the mic. For now, just velcro to the hard top headliner works great. But I will need to come up with a better solution this summer when the top comes off.

Less than an hour’s worth of work. No gaudy or expensive antenna or radio brackets to buy. Form and function are both just fine for me. YMMV

Maybe somebody else can take some of these ideas and tweak them for their own “perfect for me install”. Here’s some pics…

Ford Bronco My GMRS solution 3200628D-86AB-42E7-8D7D-BFA1DE33938A
Ford Bronco My GMRS solution B65D2D62-333B-4DC9-A87B-36B351582E08
Ford Bronco My GMRS solution B478D470-E20B-4A82-8959-DF8698CE6128
Ford Bronco My GMRS solution 35DD17B1-A4C6-432C-9BA5-FD23A504EB56
Sponsored

Last edited:

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nicely done! I run a KG1000+ for a base station that will be moving to my camper.

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

If you’re looking for an inexpensive and super simple way to add GMRS to your Bronco, here’s my solution…

First, antenna mount: I figured, “why spend a bunch of money for a piece of metal, a couple of holes and some company’s logo plastered all over it?”. Instead, I just took a scrap piece of square tubing I had laying around, cut off about an inch and half, drilled a hole all the way through it. Couple coats of paint and done. Bottom hole is where the screw on the cowling next to the radio antenna holds it in place. Top hole is for a 3/8” antenna mount. I’ve got a ghost antenna but this would work for any type of antenna.

Next, where to mount the radio itself: I’ve always liked those radios with the detachable face. Just gives a lot more options. In my case, I’ve got a Wouxon KG-1000G but there are others out there with this feature. I wanted it to be accessible in case I ever need to connect the programming cable to a laptop. And close to a power source. Without having to tear apart a bunch of stuff to get at it. Answer? Glove box. I already had one of those cheap glove box organizers so just slid it into the top section. Upfitter switch power source is right there. (mine’s wired to AUX2)

Now where to put the radio faceplate? Wanted it to be easily viewable and not have to drill holes or glue crap to my dash. Also wanted it to be “out of sight out of mind” for any sticky fingered punks that may stop to admire my Bronco. A couple months ago I had picked up one of those cheap storage compartments that clip to the top of the windshield frame above the sunvisors. Nice place to put glasses, pens, flashlight, etc. What a great place to also mount the faceplate. My first thought was to cut a hole in the front of it and slide in the faceplate so that it was just barely protruding out the front - but ended up just screwing it to the front of that cup and looks every bit as good. And I don’t lose the storage feature of compartment. Right above the drivers side sinvisor. Nice and hidden yet easily viewable by me when I need it.

Lastly - the mic. For now, just velcro to the hard top headliner works great. But I will need to come up with a better solution this summer when the top comes off.

Less than an hour’s worth of work. No gaudy or expensive antenna or radio brackets to buy. Form and function are both just fine for me. YMMV

Maybe somebody else can take some of these ideas and tweak them for their own “perfect for me install”. Here’s some pics…

Where did you get the compartment above the visor?

OP
OP
Figmo

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model