First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubicon unlimited tricked out
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After being inspired by a lot of the work y'all have done on your Broncos, I thought I would share progress on my 2023 Badlands overlanding build. I do a lot of offroading on the Arizona Strip to access Grand Canyon and the roads can be really rough. I wanted to be able to sleep on the roof rack in summer and sleep inside the Bronco in winter. I had a buddy who builds custom cabinets build a drawer system in the rear that also levels the floor. I did a run through of the build so far in the video below:

Badlands 2.7/SAS/MIC/LUX
Mickey Thompson Baja Boss (stock tires punctured twice in two trips)
RCI roof rack with side panels for fuel and water
Trailgater table
rear saddlebag storage
Custom sleep platform and drawer system

Video of the solution here:

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
After being inspired by a lot of the work y'all have done on your Broncos, I thought I would share progress on my 2023 Badlands overlanding build. I do a lot of offroading on the Arizona Strip to access Grand Canyon and the roads can be really rough. I wanted to be able to sleep on the roof rack in summer and sleep inside the Bronco in winter. I had a buddy who builds custom cabinets build a drawer system in the rear that also levels the floor. I did a run through of the build so far in the video below:

Badlands 2.7/SAS/MIC/LUX
Trailgater table
rear saddlebag storage

Your Bronco looks awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Scoop

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badsquatch, '74, '76, & '78 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very nice storage platform that your buddy built. Good solution for building a platform that has easy access to the stock jack storage area.

Looks like you're all set for adventure!

OP
OP

Superstition

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very nice storage platform that your buddy built. Good solution for building a platform that has easy access to the stock jack storage area.

Looks like you're all set for adventure!
The platform is certainly the highlight of the build so far. I've already spent a few nights sleeping on it too, and it's perfect. More storage is a great bonus! Before, I was tossing duffel bags and other "stuff" in that back area to try to level the floor in the back. What a PIA!

Next - new front bumper and winch! If this is anything like my Rubicon, the build goes on forever :)

TEAMSLO

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco 2.7 4d Oxford White & 22' JLURD
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Looks great, let me know if you ever head out this way to Vegas.

Sponsored

Shrek27

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That double slide drawer/table is genius! I always figured a drawer that shallow to level the floor would be useless, but yours looks like it has a bunch of useful things that are easy to sort and find in the single layer it requires. Access to the under floor too, so great!

Hope to see a photo of your rooftop cowboy camp setup some day too. Sounds fun!

Last edited:
OP
OP

Superstition

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That double slide drawer/table is genius! I always figured a drawer that shallow to level the floor would be useless, but yours looks like it has a bunch of useful things that are easy to sort and find in the single layer it requires. Access to the under floor too, so great!

Hope to see a photo of your rooftop cowboy camp setup some day too. Sounds fun!
I was concerned that the drawer would be too shallow to be useful, but we were able to make it 2.25" tall. The beauty of the drawer system is that I can get to the contents fast even when the back is loaded up with gear. So I put frequently accessed tools and gear in the drawer, and bulky recovery straps that are used infrequently in the right inside saddlebag. It looks like this system is going to work quite well. BTW - if somebody implemented this design in aluminum or even steel, the drawer could be 2.75" or even possibly 3" in depth. For the life of me, I don't know why the third party players haven't produced something like this so far. A ton of people have been asking for a platform like this.

I'll send a cowboy camp roof shot when i switch that mode this summer.

Shrek27

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was concerned that the drawer would be too shallow to be useful, but we were able to make it 2.25" tall. The beauty of the drawer system is that I can get to the contents fast even when the back is loaded up with gear. So I put frequently accessed tools and gear in the drawer, and bulky recovery straps that are used infrequently in the right inside saddlebag. It looks like this system is going to work quite well. BTW - if somebody implemented this design in aluminum or even steel, the drawer could be 2.75" or even possibly 3" in depth. For the life of me, I don't know why the third party players haven't produced something like this so far. A ton of people have been asking for a platform like this.

I'll send a cowboy camp roof shot when i switch that mode this summer.
I can see the utility in having a drawer like that. The closest I’ve seen to yours design in metal is the Diabolical drawer/floor slide.
https://shop.diabolicalinc.com/products/slide-floor-cover-bronco

OP
OP

Superstition

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That Diabolical solution is actually a very nice design affording more depth for storage. I don't see an easy way to get to the jack storage area though unless the top sheet just lifts off. I can't tell if that top sheet is bolted or just sits on top.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Badlands 2.7/SAS/MIC/LUX
Trailgater table
rear saddlebag storage

Great job! Which saddlebags are you using?

What keeps the sides that hold the runners from moving when you remove the drawer? Are they screwed to the Bronco floor?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Superstition

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great job! Which saddlebags are you using?

What keeps the sides that hold the runners from moving when you remove the drawer? Are they screwed to the Bronco floor?
Those beefy blocks on each side of the siding unit are bolted to the floor through the factory tie down locations. We reused the factory tie downs and recessed them in the wood to make them flush. A close up shot of one tie in point in attached photo. That drawer assembly will still be attached if I roll the Bronco.
Ford Bronco My Overlanding Build! 20240330_161208

I think these are the saddle bags I bought. They work pretty well and install and remove fairly quickly:

https://www.amazon.com/Xomzema-Orga...pHyzmRVGUkpxsP8kzt7lzvpDpg8aAkX6EALw_wcB&th=1

Blucifer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac SRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Beautiful! love your build so far.

There's a mesh backet that you can get for overhead storage (if you need more) made by Raingler. I like to hang by JBL clip 3 from there and store pillows/bedding etc.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Those beefy blocks on each side of the siding unit are bolted to the floor through the factory tie down locations. We reused the factory tie downs and recessed them in the wood to make them flush. A close up shot of one tie in point in attached photo. That drawer assembly will still be attached if I roll the Bronco.
Ford Bronco My Overlanding Build! 20240330_161208

I think these are the saddle bags I bought. They work pretty well and install and remove fairly quickly:

https://www.amazon.com/Xomzema-Orga...pHyzmRVGUkpxsP8kzt7lzvpDpg8aAkX6EALw_wcB&th=1
Thanks! I'm thinking about the deepsleep overland mattress. They make one for the 4 door Bronco. They're local and I've looked at one. They also have a pump to deflate it. They're a bit of a drive for you, but take cash for a discount.

https://deepsleepoverland.com/collections/ford

OP
OP

Superstition

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks! I'm thinking about the deepsleep overland mattress. They make one for the 4 door Bronco. They're local and I've looked at one. They also have a pump to deflate it. They're a bit of a drive for you, but take cash for a discount.

https://deepsleepoverland.com/collections/ford
Those deep sleep mattresses are really nice. I saw them at the Flagstaff Overland Expo last year. With the new floor unit, I wouldn't need that square part to elevate the recessed floor. I'm using a river Paco Pad for a mattress now, and I only use half the interior space leaving gear in the other half, so that left half deep sleep would be ideal for me. Thanks for the reminder about these guys. I'm going to buy one now.

OP
OP

Superstition

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Beautiful! love your build so far.

There's a mesh backet that you can get for overhead storage (if you need more) made by Raingler. I like to hang by JBL clip 3 from there and store pillows/bedding etc.
I just looked these guys up. Never new they existed! What a great idea! Mesh storage like that over the rear seat and over the back cargo area would be really useful for sleeping bags, pillows, etc.
Sponsored