BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thatā€™s the one sticking point. Seems like the transmission temp hovers ~5 degrees higher with the 33s in the summer than the lighter 32s in the winter. I have wondered what 35s would do to these numbers.

While itā€™s fun and everyone should try it, Iā€™d actually say dune running is a little overrated. Certainly more fun on a quad or SxS. Makes a big difference if youā€™re wheeling on a one-way dune trail vs. the free-for-all approach. Scaling a dune when you donā€™t know if someone is heading up the other sideā€¦not exactly relaxing!
I've seen some scary videos about the free-for-all dune running like you talk about.. Definitely seems sketchy.

The last thing I want to deal with while out for the day trying to enjoy myself is worrying about other people's actions and their potential consequences.. that right there is a huge part of the reason I don't attend 'event days' at offroad parks.. and have no interest in riding quads/snowmachines on super popular/busy trailsystems.

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350/2024 Bronco Big Bend (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I ended up getting the 4.27 with lockers on my 2 dr big bend. It's not needed in most situations, but it was a reasonably priced check box on the order.
But things can definitely add up fast.
Good to see that the base can handle a lot and that you are enjoying your ride!

OP
OP
BlueWaffle

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Few updates..

Skids, half rack, and ditch lights got installed over the weekend. I'm a slightly happier camper now ā˜ŗ

Ford Bronco My 'Un-wheelable' Bronco (35"s, 3.73's, no lockers) 20240428_145612

I went with the TOR half rack, as it seems to sport the best bang/buck ratio AND be the most visually pleasing. I'm still not super excited about the price of admission honestly... but its exponentially more functional (by itself) and better looking than the rest of the 2dr options.

Ford Bronco My 'Un-wheelable' Bronco (35"s, 3.73's, no lockers) 20240428_145532

Front skids from StinkyFab.. super awesome.. only one little criticism with these...

Ford Bronco My 'Un-wheelable' Bronco (35"s, 3.73's, no lockers) 20240428_145542

The bit circled in blue is clearance for the diff. The bottom side is very nicely welded as you can see... but the topside is completely unwelded. Perfect little nook to catch dirt/salt/whatever and start corroding away. I would of liked to see both sides fully welded... but it is what it is. I gooped some RTV on it for the meantime... whenever they get beat up enough for me to have them re-coated I'll probably break out the welder and do it myself.

And finally.. I got around to installing my Harbor Freight bought ditch lights!

Slapped em right on the mirrors, no additional brackets. I ran out of time to install the harness on Sunday so they're nothing but a fashion statement for the meantime.. hopefully by next Sunday I can find the time to run the harness and test them out.

Ford Bronco My 'Un-wheelable' Bronco (35"s, 3.73's, no lockers) 20240428_145629

I'm not getting my hopes up on the lights though to be honest. Considering that I didn't spend 600$ on them from 4xLEDBroLove.com I'm quite sure that their level of illumination will be comparable to a tealight in a jam jar.. AND the chicom soldering work will just cause a short and burn the bronco to the ground... oh well šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

That last bit might be sarcasm šŸ˜›

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nice work. Hey at least SFR covered the most vulnerable item up front. Many, including OEM leave the aluminum diff exposed. And I always use the finest Amazon, or RC LEDs on all my vehicles and UTV,nothings burnt down yet. I better double check before posting, I just did some RC reverse lights yesterday.
Ford Bronco My 'Un-wheelable' Bronco (35"s, 3.73's, no lockers) 20240429_201620

All good...

OP
OP
BlueWaffle

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Nice work. Hey at least SFR covered the most vulnerable item up front. Many, including OEM leave the aluminum diff exposed. And I always use the finest Amazon, or RC LEDs on all my vehicles and UTV,nothings burnt down yet. I better double check before posting, I just did some RC reverse lights yesterday.
Ford Bronco My 'Un-wheelable' Bronco (35"s, 3.73's, no lockers) 20240429_201620

All good...
Those look nice and bright! I'm thinking about putting a flush mount led pod in my rear bumper.. opposite of where the licence plate is. The halogen reverse lights definitely leave a LOT to be desired.

I've never been disappointed with budget lights either.. but truthfully my use case for them is pretty limited in both scope and frequency. If I did high speed desert running or something I'd definitely be more inclined to go with 'the best money can buy'.... but considering that I'm only gonna use these a small handful of times a year.. and don't need a mile of visibility.. these will do just fine.

OP
OP
BlueWaffle

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ooh I nearly forgot... I did a little light 'mudding' with the ol gal back on whatever day the eclipse was.

In an attempt to escape the unholy amount of traffic made by other wierdos who wanted to stare at the sun.. I decided to take a little 'shortcut'..

However..... a bridge was washed out at the far end of said "shortcut", requiring us to slop back up and over the muddy/snowy mountain road we just descended.

By the time we reached solid ground again I decided to check the trans temp.. and it was 235Ā° IIRC.

The needle wasn't in the red yet... but still too hot for my liking.. and a testament to how 3.73s and 35's may not be for everyone in every situation šŸ˜‹ that will be my only 'mudding' for the year though.. the rest of my wheeling will be crawling in low range. Works for me.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Few updates..

Skids, half rack, and ditch lights got installed over the weekend. I'm a slightly happier camper now ā˜ŗ

20240428_145612.jpg

I went with the TOR half rack, as it seems to sport the best bang/buck ratio AND be the most visually pleasing. I'm still not super excited about the price of admission honestly... but its exponentially more functional (by itself) and better looking than the rest of the 2dr options.

20240428_145532.jpg

Front skids from StinkyFab.. super awesome.. only one little criticism with these...

20240428_145542.jpg

The bit circled in blue is clearance for the diff. The bottom side is very nicely welded as you can see... but the topside is completely unwelded. Perfect little nook to catch dirt/salt/whatever and start corroding away. I would of liked to see both sides fully welded... but it is what it is. I gooped some RTV on it for the meantime... whenever they get beat up enough for me to have them re-coated I'll probably break out the welder and do it myself.

And finally.. I got around to installing my Harbor Freight bought ditch lights!

Slapped em right on the mirrors, no additional brackets. I ran out of time to install the harness on Sunday so they're nothing but a fashion statement for the meantime.. hopefully by next Sunday I can find the time to run the harness and test them out.

20240428_145629.jpg

I'm not getting my hopes up on the lights though to be honest. Considering that I didn't spend 600$ on them from 4xLEDBroLove.com I'm quite sure that their level of illumination will be comparable to a tealight in a jam jar.. AND the chicom soldering work will just cause a short and burn the bronco to the ground... oh well šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

That last bit might be sarcasm šŸ˜›
I've got the SFR skids too; did you have the alignment issue with the bolt holes? For me, that S bracket on the front/engine skid I didn't get on "straight" and it ended up misaligning. The fix (from Dallas) was to drill them out and/or take them off and fidget with the bracket until they did. I went with drilling them out a little. Just wondering if you were one of the ones he said also had that issue.

He said he was widening the bolt holes because Ford's tolerances are greater than his... For me, the front skid isn't quite on straight, but you can only see it from underneath.

OP
OP
BlueWaffle

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've got the SFR skids too; did you have the alignment issue with the bolt holes? For me, that S bracket on the front/engine skid I didn't get on "straight" and it ended up misaligning. The fix (from Dallas) was to drill them out and/or take them off and fidget with the bracket until they did. I went with drilling them out a little. Just wondering if you were one of the ones he said also had that issue.

He said he was widening the bolt holes because Ford's tolerances are greater than his... For me, the front skid isn't quite on straight, but you can only see it from underneath.
Mine weren't perfect now that you mention it... but definitely weren't as bad as what your experience sounds like. With a little fanagle-ing I managed to get everything snugged up and happy. If I ever get the thing on a lift I'll have to remember to look and see how straight they are.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine weren't perfect now that you mention it... but definitely weren't as bad as what your experience sounds like. With a little fanagle-ing I managed to get everything snugged up and happy. If I ever get the thing on a lift I'll have to remember to look and see how straight they are.
I was annoyed about the misalignment on the front, but can't really tell from the front (there's a quarter inch gap between the bumper and the top of the front skid on one side, where it's like 1/8" on the other side).

What was more problematic were the rest, because I couldn't get the bolts in. Reaming the holes out on the trans plate some did work, although I need to take the it off and do a little more. I ended up breaking a bolt off with too much ugh on the whack whack.

Not a big deal, more early adopter issues. They are nice. I also noticed that weird missing weld. You might drop Dallas a note. Filling it with RTV doesn't sound like a bad idea.

OP
OP
BlueWaffle

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was annoyed about the misalignment on the front, but can't really tell from the front (there's a quarter inch gap between the bumper and the top of the front skid on one side, where it's like 1/8" on the other side).

What was more problematic were the rest, because I couldn't get the bolts in. Reaming the holes out on the trans plate some did work, although I need to take the it off and do a little more. I ended up breaking a bolt off with too much ugh on the whack whack.

Not a big deal, more early adopter issues. They are nice. I also noticed that weird missing weld. You might drop Dallas a note. Filling it with RTV doesn't sound like a bad idea.
Damn yeah that sounds like a nightmare lol.

About the rtv though.. I might have f'ed up šŸ˜¶

The question of whether or not rtv will even stick to a zinc coated surface JUST popped into my head.. so I googled it.. and apparently there are 2 different types of the stuff.. neutral cure and acidic cure. Apparently the acidic cure type can/will accelerate corrosion šŸ˜£ lol. All I had on hand was the high temp orange stuff, and I'm unsure how that particular stuff cures..

I'll do some more digging a little later on.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Damn yeah that sounds like a nightmare lol.

About the rtv though.. I might have f'ed up šŸ˜¶

The question of whether or not rtv will even stick to a zinc coated surface JUST popped into my head.. so I googled it.. and apparently there are 2 different types of the stuff.. neutral cure and acidic cure. Apparently the acidic cure type can/will accelerate corrosion šŸ˜£ lol. All I had on hand was the high temp orange stuff, and I'm unsure how that particular stuff cures..

I'll do some more digging a little later on.
I don't think I'd been as annoyed if I had a lift. I was just using tire ramps and crabbing on the floor is something my big ass don't do much. lol

RE: RTV - Interesting, glad you let me know; I've never used it. Do you know if I can get the zinc in a spray can to recoat my reamed out holes? That would be something, for them to rust out around the bolt holes first. lol

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Those look nice and bright! I'm thinking about putting a flush mount led pod in my rear bumper.. opposite of where the licence plate is. The halogen reverse lights definitely leave a LOT to be desired.

I've never been disappointed with budget lights either.. but truthfully my use case for them is pretty limited in both scope and frequency. If I did high speed desert running or something I'd definitely be more inclined to go with 'the best money can buy'.... but considering that I'm only gonna use these a small handful of times a year.. and don't need a mile of visibility.. these will do just fine.
My use case exactly

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ooh I nearly forgot... I did a little light 'mudding' with the ol gal back on whatever day the eclipse was.

In an attempt to escape the unholy amount of traffic made by other wierdos who wanted to stare at the sun.. I decided to take a little 'shortcut'..

However..... a bridge was washed out at the far end of said "shortcut", requiring us to slop back up and over the muddy/snowy mountain road we just descended.

By the time we reached solid ground again I decided to check the trans temp.. and it was 235Ā° IIRC.

The needle wasn't in the red yet... but still too hot for my liking.. and a testament to how 3.73s and 35's may not be for everyone in every situation šŸ˜‹ that will be my only 'mudding' for the year though.. the rest of my wheeling will be crawling in low range. Works for me.
I wouldn't let the trans temp worry you. Mine gets there fairly frequently and I'm 32s with 4.27s. And think of it this way: Unless you were in first gear the 3.73s weren't your limiting factor, you could have still downshifted to mimic the lower ratios of the big tire Broncos. And if you were in first you could always go to low range. The two cases where axle ratio is limiting are: first gear low range and you still need lower and highway cruising where top gear becomes unusable.
Sponsored