Sponsored

Navigation options for Base display screen?

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
What are folks using to get Nav on the base bronco screen besides carplay or Android auto?
Is there any way to use the satellite connection or does it have to be cellular?
Sponsored

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I added Nav to a friend's 2014 Escape with Forscan. Can you not do that with the base Bronco radio?

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I added Nav to a friend's 2014 Escape with Forscan. Can you not do that with the base Bronco radio?
I'm guessing not. Sync2 stored maps externally on an SD card. Sync3 and Sync4 store them internally. The non-nav Sync3 APIMs simply did not have enough storage for maps and your only option was to physically swap the APIM. I wouldn't be surprised if Sync4 was the same.

Given the Sync 4 APIM still uses the same 54-pin connector as all previous generations (even the base 2008 version without a touchscreen), there's hope an APIM swap is a viable upgrade path.

Looking on eBay, the nav APIM has an additional fark connector for anntnna. Similar to previous upgrade kits, probably have to add your own antenna. It appears there's also a physical difference between "8 inch" and "12 inch" APIMs, with 12" gaining yet another fark connector in the empty spot in these two pictures.

Ford Bronco Navigation options for Base display screen? nav

Ford Bronco Navigation options for Base display screen? nonnav

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm guessing not. Sync2 stored maps externally on an SD card. Sync3 and Sync4 store them internally. The non-nav Sync3 APIMs simply did not have enough storage for maps and your only option was to physically swap the APIM. I wouldn't be surprised if Sync4 was the same.

Given the Sync 4 APIM still uses the same 54-pin connector as all previous generations (even the base 2008 version without a touchscreen), there's hope an APIM swap is a viable upgrade path.

Looking on eBay, the nav APIM has an additional fark connector for anntnna. Similar to previous upgrade kits, probably have to add your own antenna. It appears there's also a physical difference between "8 inch" and "12 inch" APIMs, with 12" gaining yet another fark connector in the empty spot in these two pictures.
Fark!!

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So... you don't have a smartphone?
I could write a novel about how much I hate Google Maps on Android Auto. Five of the paragraphs would be CONTINUE STRAIGHT CONTINUE STRAIGHT CONTINUE STRAIGHT because Google thinks I'm going to make a hard right turn off the freeway onto a 200ft dirt road.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I could write a novel about how much I hate Google Maps on Android Auto. Five of the paragraphs would be CONTINUE STRAIGHT CONTINUE STRAIGHT CONTINUE STRAIGHT because Google thinks I'm going to make a hard right turn off the freeway onto a 200ft dirt road.
Ford Bronco Navigation options for Base display screen? the-office-gps
Sponsored