Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Need some guidance from those who are smarter than me.

When I ordered my Bronco I opted to have my dealer install a 4-pin tow hitch after it arrived in lieu of ordering the 7-pin from the factory. I just picked it up and the dealer has installed an extended tow hitch instead of the factory style one which is relatively flush with the bumper. They said "this is what everyone wants" and that people are having to buy extensions anyways.

However, this is going to reduce my departure angle and, frankly, I am not pleased with the aesthetic. I plan to off-road in the Appalachians at least couple times a year, and dream of a western US trip for some proper rock crawling. I will tow very infrequently and can't imagine a scenario in which I'd use a cargo extension since it blocks my ability to open the rear gate.

That being said - what are the pros/cons of keeping this extended hitch that I am not aware of? Besides having clearance from the spare tire... is there any other reason I should keep this instead of taking it back to the dealer to swap out for a regular length hitch?

Photos for reference:
Ford Bronco Need Guidance: Dealer Installed Extended Tow Hitch IMG_2607.JPG

Ford Bronco Need Guidance: Dealer Installed Extended Tow Hitch IMG_2608.JPG
Sponsored

RunNGunArk

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i have flush hitch and have to use an extender to tow anything. When i put my bike rack on the hitch, i use a extender/drop.
If you think you'll very rarely tow, and have some steep off-roading, yes, you'll have a clearance issue at some point.
You can get an extension for around $30.

LCW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is why I opted to get one with the factory hitch and 7pin pre-installed from the factory.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It is just happy to see you. Personally I'd want the regular OEM hitch.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That being said - what are the pros/cons of keeping this extended hitch that I am not aware of? Besides having clearance from the spare tire... is there any other reason I should keep this instead of taking it back to the dealer to swap out for a regular length hitch?
Con, It looks like ass. I could see it being a pro if you were hooking up a trailer on a daily basis but for most of us who only use it maybe once a month or a few times a year, then no way I would accept that.

It is a greater inconvenience than it is a convenience.

Sponsored
OP
OP
yabsquatch

yabsquatch

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Con, It looks like ass. I could see it being a pro if you were hooking up a trailer on a daily basis but for most of us who only use it maybe once a month or a few times a year, then no way I would accept that.

It is a greater inconvenience than it is a convenience.
I think this is where I'm at with it, too. It does look like ass.

An additional inconvenience I just discovered... its quite easy to bash your knee/shin on when accessing the cargo area. Ask me how I figured that out.

Quite disappointed the dealer thought this was a good idea and didn't even ask me beforehand.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think this is where I'm at with it, too. It does look like ass.

An additional inconvenience I just discovered... its quite easy to bash your knee/shin on when accessing the cargo area. Ask me how I figured that out.

Quite disappointed the dealer thought this was a good idea and didn't even ask me beforehand.
I assume it is aftermarket?

OP
OP
yabsquatch

yabsquatch

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I assume it is aftermarket?
Correct. Went that route because I didn't need the 7-pin, and was advised to drop Tow Hitch from the order to help speed up its delivery. Waited well over 500 days...

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Correct. Went that route because I didn't need the 7-pin, and was advised to drop Tow Hitch from the order to help speed up its delivery. Waited well over 500 days...
I hear you... I just bought an OBX off the lot this week.

Waited for an eternity for my 2dr Badsqautch in Eruption Green, never got it.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would make dealership install a OEM style receiver
that thing is lame

Sponsored

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have an extension I leave on my defender to clear the tire.
I have to buy one for the bronco too. I’m lazy and will leave it on vs taking it on and off all the time. Unless I’m going into the sticks to off road

Tacanta14

Black Diamond
First Name
Wasichu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond 4 Door 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Need some guidance from those who are smarter than me.

When I ordered my Bronco I opted to have my dealer install a 4-pin tow hitch after it arrived in lieu of ordering the 7-pin from the factory. I just picked it up and the dealer has installed an extended tow hitch instead of the factory style one which is relatively flush with the bumper. They said "this is what everyone wants" and that people are having to buy extensions anyways.

However, this is going to reduce my departure angle and, frankly, I am not pleased with the aesthetic. I plan to off-road in the Appalachians at least couple times a year, and dream of a western US trip for some proper rock crawling. I will tow very infrequently and can't imagine a scenario in which I'd use a cargo extension since it blocks my ability to open the rear gate.

Photos for reference:

Using an extender cuts in half your towing capacity (and tongue weight, I believe), which is why I have a long towbar to clear the spare.

Searchdawg

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Supercrew Platinum 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I opted for the factory flush mount hitch. I didn’t want a receiver extension, but opted for a longer ball hitch that supposedly maintains factory tow rating.

IMG_1842.jpeg

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I would’ve refused that hitch. I don’t know if they’ll help you out by installing a real hitch, now that you got blood and half a kneecap on it. Words like “that’s nothing like the OEM hitch. I thought I was buying an oem hitch” might get you somewhere. When the service manager try’s to tell you how it’s better than an oem hitch, “cool, straight across trade for the OEM hitch that’s on the dealership owner’s Bronco should make me happy.” Deliver it with a smile, you might still have to spend another $80 of your own money, but you can have fun frustrating the crap outa them in the process. The hitch is literally a 30 minute job to do it yourself.

dogtag114

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus Evora 400, MB AMG C63
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I read somewhere that the factory hitch is rated to 3500 lbs but an aftermarket would only be rated to 1000 lbs due to some other structural change that do at the facts.

any truth to this? I can’t find where I saw that.
Sponsored