First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '11 Ford Edge, '10 Ford Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am strongly of the opinion that the Germans who made the prototypes saw the flaws in the drawings and made them right anyways, and management ignored their worries about the tops as designed.
Huh??!? Sorry, not how it works LOL

EDIT: "drawings"?? uh... no. CAD is the master data.
Sponsored

r21free

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The tooling was made in China. The tops are made in Michigan USA.
Does ot matter if it's made in america. .if the tooling is made in china...

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm convinced none of you all have worked in a manufacturing environment before. Made in USA does not mean it's any better from a quality standpoint than Made in China does. I've seen plenty of terrible US factories pumping out crap just as I've seen plenty top of the line Chinese production lines. It's a matter of how much the company (in this case Ford) is willing to pay for materials, equipment, and skilled labor and how much time and resources they're willing to put into thorough design, qualification, and manufacturing quality. If the tops are bad, it's not because the tooling came from China, it's because Ford designed them bad and was willing to settle for the quality level received from their suppliers at the price point given.

MacDonald_Photo

Badlands
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Huh??!? Sorry, not how it works LOL

EDIT: "drawings"?? uh... no. CAD is the master data.
JESUS!!

Are you sure? CAD=Master?
There is no GD&T on a CAD model so PRINT is Master.
You can measure to CAD but how do you know if it is in spec?
Print.

So glad I left the world of manufacturing and specifically quality control.

Sponsored

Skeech

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That's not inherently true across the board. Many of my customers have brought tooling back to NA for new product launches, including one of my tooling divisions, has been hammering out new steel for OEMs in record numbers. This goes for many automotive manufacturers. China steel isn't as cheap as it once was, and the value proposition for going overseas is diminishing with increased logistics and manufacturing costs...

Things take a long-time to reach the consumer but in the supply chain there are many changes happening. So yes, I do "still believe in this fantasy" because I'm watching this trend pick-up speed right before my eyes. Hard to agree with you on that front.
Thanks for a very respectful response! That is nice to see around here. We all just want our Broncos.

Seatmandan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
JESUS!!

Are you sure? CAD=Master?
There is no GD&T on a CAD model so PRINT is Master.
You can measure to CAD but how do you know if it is in spec?
Print.

So glad I left the world of manufacturing and specifically quality control.
I'm a Product Engineering Designer on Interior/Exterior for an OEM. Our CAD is the master. The drawings are for release & tracking purposes. We do include GD&T on the drawings for manufacturing/release purposes, but CAD is still the master. Tool steel is cut from the CAD data, not the drawing.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If the tops are bad...it's because Ford designed them bad and was willing to settle for the quality level received from their suppliers at the price point given.
Politicians are always coached to 'own the mistake'...apologize, and move on. But many take Ford's approach...which is to pretend they mysteriously got this top at last year's Secret Santa gift exchange, and they have no idea what'tha F is wrong.

MacDonald_Photo

Badlands
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm a Product Engineering Designer on Interior/Exterior for an OEM. Our CAD is the master. The drawings are for release & tracking purposes. We do include GD&T on the drawings for manufacturing/release purposes, but CAD is still the master. Tool steel is cut from the CAD data, not the drawing.
Right..But inspection and final product is measured to print values.

PRINT should MATCH CAD but in my experiences I was often upstairs in engineering showing them where their print didn't match CAD LOL!!

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

honestly I'm not really surprised. They knew over 18 months ago that they didnt have what was necessary to meet their standards and continued anyways, now we are where we are. SURELY this had to have been known as an inevitable crisis but they continued anyways.
Wait, which is it? "they knew" or "this had to have been known"?

🤦‍♂️

Sponsored

Seatmandan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Right..But inspection and final product is measured to print values.

PRINT should MATCH CAD but in my experiences I was often upstairs in engineering showing them where their print didn't match CAD LOL!!
that’s all fine and dandy, but what you’re describing is not CAD the master. the 3D CAD geometry IS drawn to the absolute detail, multi-million dollar tools are cut from THAT data, and Drawings are created from the master CAD that is detailed, of which details are drawn from the CAD. All the drawing is is to CHECK the parts against, it’s NOT the master data. CAD is. the images on the drawing are created from the master CAD, and update accordingly as the master CAD is changed

These days, Drawings always match CAD because it’s all linked parametrically.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Allowing every American to own a home, car, iphone, computer, gaming system, latest kitchen appliances, and all was at the expense of millions of American jobs. We moved our manufacturing, almost all of it, first to Japan, then Korea and Singapore and Thailand, and in the last 20 years, To China. In 1930 or 1950 or 1970 Americans didn't live so luxuriously on minimum wage or slightly higher as we do today.

Look at this old Popular Science from 100 years ago. Peruse the ads, recognize the company names now long gone. Find other US companies you never knew of. Now think about every one of those companies was giving an American a job, forming the 20th century Middle Class. Building communities, towns, sports teams. All American companies, all hiring and selling to Americans. All the profits went to an American company, many of whom built company stores, parks, libraries. All that is over. Today we have our very likely enemy of the final war getting all the profits, and boosting their own populace' standard of living, that 25 years ago was picking rice, into the information age. At OUR expense, so everyone could buy a $20 pair of jeans, a $11 tool at Harbor Freight, a $350 big screen TV.

https://books.google.com/books?id=7NRYAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA6-PA122&lpg=RA6-PA122#v=onepage&q&f=false

Last edited:

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Allowing every American to own a home, car, iphone, computer, gaming system, latest kitchen appliances, and all was at the expense of millions of American jobs. We moved our manufacturing, almost all of it, first to Japan, then Korea and Singapore and Thailand, and in the last 20 years, To China. In 1930 or 1950 or 1970 Americans didn't live so luxuriously on minimum wage or slightly higher as we do today.
In 1966, I was 16 and making $1.35 an hour. I was driving one of these. My 1st car.

Ford Bronco New article with a spin on the hardtop I hadn't heard 59new

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In 1966, I was 16 and making $1.35 an hour. I was driving one of these. My 1st car.

Ford Bronco New article with a spin on the hardtop I hadn't heard 59new
Well, I am pretty sure that you weren't paying $5.00 a gallon for gas. ;)

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My 1st car.
2 years older & started in a 1959 Ford Fairlane. I seem to recall there were no cupholders & the most important feature - especially on Friday nights - was the front bench seat.
Sponsored