Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hmmm.

The applications and cost benefit analysis of carbon fiber has been completely known and implemented in academia and industry for decades.

CF composites are pricey for both it's raw materials and overall manufacturing process (time and labor intensive). But for applications requiring certain strength to weight, stiffness to weight or durability requirements, CF outperforms all metallics and plastics. It's a relatively simple analysis of when to use it. Disciplines like air and space, dominated by fuel costs, are obvious application areas where high strength and low weight are needed.

All of this is informed by my education (3 degrees) and hands-on/career experience in mathematics, physics and engineering.

Last, but not least decorative CF such as that on the inside of the Bronco Raptor, as well as some (likely all) of this external trim only look like highly engineered, weight efficient CF structures. If one examines them layer-by-layer through their thickness, you'll find that again, they are cosmetic only (say top layer - to look like "the real thing".)

Let me know if you'd like some references to engineering literature on the topic. Often a math or engineering background is assumed.
What a bloviated pile of arrogance. Lol. Someone who is accomplished, highly intelligent and gifted….never talks down to others as they tell the world how smart THEY think they are. Shake my head
Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
What a bloviated pile of arrogance. Lol. Someone who is accomplished, highly intelligent and gifted….never talks down to others as they tell the world how smart THEY think they are. Shake my head
Apologies if my post came off as arrogant. Rather than boasting, all I was trying to do in stating some qualifications was to note that I have real world education and experience that is relevant to the topic at hand. There are a lot of "experts" in forums who really aren't...

After looking closely again at my post, I don't see any talking down to anyone.

I was also responding directly to this, which prompted a longer and more detailed reply.

Unless you can prove the last half of your statement using mathematics and/or the scientific method.. it's wrong 🙂

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Apologies if my post came off as arrogant. Rather than boasting, all I was trying to do in stating some qualifications was to note that I have real world education and experience that is relevant to the topic at hand. There are a lot of "experts" in forums who really aren't...

After looking closely again at my post, I don't see any talking down to anyone.

I was also responding directly to this, which prompted a longer and more detailed reply.

I mean.. he's not completely wrong 🤷‍♀️

If you carefully read what I asked you again.. you'll see that my only request of you was for you to prove your opinion that CF doesn't 'excel aesthetically'.. which you can not do. Not even with all your real world experience and education.

Not only that.. but damn man.. my comment to begin with was supposed to be a bit of tounge in cheek.. a little reminder of 'different strokes for different folks'.. and it went right over your highly educated head..

Hence.. the "omg way to ruin it" after you needed to post your resume for the world to read.

It was a joke.

One you just had to smash to bits with your massive intelligence... wait... inability to read.. yeah.. your inability to read.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yeah, totally missed your point @BlueWaffle . I see now what you mean that one can't "prove" if something looks good or not.

Pitfalls in online communication happen, nature of the beast...

But my 2 cents on the OT is that CF is so pricey, that it is both a big waste of money and also looks out of place in non-structural applications. Sure CF itself looks cool, but I can't not see the application.

So if cost is taken into account, it is true that CF can not excel in applications that are cosmetic. My background indeed leads to this kind of always thinking about a cost per performance type of metric.

Last edited:

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

These are a GO. This was confirmed out of SEMA last night by Krista talking with FP, FP is working on stocking inventory for Q1 2024. You can buy the whole kit or piece meal Gloss or Matte versions. Hood Vent, Flares, Fender Vents, Rear Tire support cover. I would expect these will not be cheap :)

Sponsored

Blairwarlock

Raptor
First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover SVR Carbon, 911 GT3 Touring, 911 GT3RS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
These are a GO. This was confirmed out of SEMA last night by Krista talking with FP, FP is working on stocking inventory for Q1 2024. You can buy the whole kit or piece meal Gloss or Matte versions. Hood Vent, Flares, Fender Vents, Rear Tire support cover. I would expect these will not be cheap :)
Are the fender vents just covers or do they actually replace the factory vents?

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ROFLMAO

Carbon fiber to lighten a 5,000-pound Bronco.

Methinks people don't understand the benefits of carbon fiber and just like to burn $$$.
Uh, the $125k+ KOH Edition Bronco uses carbon fiber flares for weight savings. And no way is that just some marketing ploy to try and justify the price tag and get you to overspend on their way over priced bolt on Bronco.

Ford Bronco New Bronco Raptor Parts: OEM Carbon Fiber Body Panels from Ford Performance 1699021051420

Jeff Lebowski

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport SVR 2020
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
anyone hear an update on this ? I would love to shed some some weight on my..........wallet
Sponsored