New Exhaust Idea

Bronc69

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, 2022 X3 (wife's), 2015 GTI (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've been looking at the exhausts available for the Bronco and didn't see this as an option.
On my 911, it has a valve that will allow the exhaust to remain quiet when I want it and I can open the valve when I want it loud.

Would this be of interest to the Bronco community?

I was thinking that it would be a cat-back exhaust. And with the valve closed, it would direct flow through a muffler and exit on the passenger side. This would allow for quiet running when desired.
Open the valve, and the exhaust would flow straight out the drivers side tip for essentially no muffler and it would be louder.
I've dealt with exhausts in the past and would more than likely run a resonator in-line as well. Any kind of drone would NOT be welcome.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

electric cutouts.
Not sure why anyone would want the exhaust note uncorked on the engine choices we have, but more powah to you if you do.

OP
OP
Bronc69

Bronc69

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
electric cutouts.
Not sure why anyone would want the exhaust note uncorked on the engine choices we have, but more powah to you if you do.
Seems to be a lot of interest in this as there are at least 10 different choice right now.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Duston@Lethal

Black Diamond
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Duston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 535i GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Silence

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've seen quite a few "dual exhausts" that used an electronic cutout to split between a straight pipe outlet or a muffled outlet.

For instance, on the Thermal exhaust below, you would cut the muffler off right around the rear hanger area, install the cutout there and have the straight pipe outlet on the left with the muffled exhaust on the right. It looks like dual exhaust, but only one side gets used at a time.

Ford Bronco New Exhaust Idea 1681940266326

Last edited:

Duston@Lethal

Black Diamond
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Duston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 535i GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
similar but different. He is referring to more of a cut-out vs a valved muffler. one is more performance based whereas that looks for sound based.
From what I understand, his post is about a dual exit system that diverts one side through a straight pipe to the rear, where as the other side is muffled. Varex is essentially the same tech, the valve is just on the muffler instead of upstream. A cutout would be a dump upstream. Furthermore, Porsche use a similar system to BMW where the valve and straight pipe is inside the muffler, and diverts the gasses through a more free path. Which is exactly how the Varex muffler works.

Silence

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Varex describes there's as more of a sound vs performance benefit from what I read. I could be wrong as I'm not familiar with their tech but regardless a cut out with intended performance benefit would be better upstream regardless.

Edit: reread OP post again and it seems he does want the same as this system provides. Nevermind above. 😅

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bronc69

Bronc69

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm going to see a buddy of mine the end of the month. He's the co-owner of Soul Performance (I have their headers and sport cats on my 911). I'll see if there's anything they can do. Would be cool to use one of the aux switches to control the exhaust valve.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is there more of a purpose to them, than just reving them up at a stop light at 2am on the weekend?

OP
OP
Bronc69

Bronc69

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
There's a world of difference between the sound of a Porsche flat six and the 2.3 in a Bronco........
Yes, I completely agree 100%.
I do have the 2.7L, but it's not going to sound as good as the flat-6. Both are twin-turbos.
Sponsored