John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

www.msn.com/en-us/autos/reviews/2024-ford-ranger-first-drive-finally-built-to-play-ball/ar-BB1k93l3?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=903b008dd49e41fbb93e9c05a2076248&ei=13

Nt sure if my link works but check the picture of the front suspension for the Ranger refresh and tell me the tie-rod doesn't contact the shock - and that left front wheel appears to be only half turned. Precisely my conclusions of why Bronco tie rods snap - overextension of rotational parts with no built-in or adjustable physical stop other than the contact of parts that should never come in contact.

Ford Bronco New Rangers will need improved tie rods 1711201884842-y
Sponsored

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That wheel is a lot more than "half turned"...the back of it is almost touching the LCA, and the CV Boot is pretty cranked...in that position the wheel will only move vertically.

Not saying the tie rods couldn't use some fattening up, but not because they will hit other components as you're suggesting; that would be a ridiculous oversight.

OP
OP
JohnnyBronco

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Then let me just ask you this...

If you disconnect the tie rod, can you rotate the wheel past the position of steering rack full extension? In other words, is there an actual bump stop which prevents over extension of the steering rack?

Not that I plan on changing anything out on my pavement princess

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Then let me just ask you this...

If you disconnect the tie rod, can you rotate the wheel past the position of steering rack full extension? In other words, is there an actual bump stop which prevents over extension of the steering rack?

Not that I plan on changing anything out on my pavement princess
The bump-stop would be the tire hitting the Lower Control Arm, that would make contact before any of the suspension. But if you removed the tie-rod, how would you turn the wheel enough for it to hit anything?

Doc TOC

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition Max, Fusion Hybrid, HD Road King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Appreciate you're trying to raise awareness to a safety issue, but you may have been tricked by the photography. What I believe you are seeing is a lensing affect on the angles and a distortion of the shadowing. Remember that is a 2D image of a 3D object. Your eye uses the photographed element angles, widths, and shadowing to perceive depth.

What you are not seeing is the shock angle, the clearance (or lack of) behind the tie rod, or the tire's proximity to a known reference point (fender, LCA, ...). That makes it a challenge to assess the actual placement of the tie rod and shock.

Also note, there is no sign of abrasion on the shock label immediately in line with the tie rod.

Empirically, there are no postings about the tie rod hitting the shocks on the new Ranger, which would be all over the internet by now if it were a thing.

If you still believe it's an issue, check with a Ranger owner in your neighborhood, or swing buy your local dealership service department. Nothing like going to the source and getting actual evidence.
Sponsored

Last edited: