First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Accord and a 2018 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Got new wheels and tires from Custom Offset. I have an OBX that came with 255/70/R18's with 18 inch wheels. I replaced those with the same size tire and wheel but I purchased Firestone LE3's and 18 inch Icon Alloy Rebounds with no Offset. But now my Bronco sits lower, by about an inch. Forgive my ignorance on this matter as I don't know much, but I figured same sizes all the way around wouldn't be a problem.

Any and all help would be appreciated Thank You.
Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

An inch lower would mean the diameter changed by 2 inches. There will be a variance between manufacturers for exact same size and tire type but not two inches. Street tread will be smaller diameter than off road. But the biggest difference is that you probably went with wider rims which squats the tires more than they might have been designed for.

Side note: I have found the oem Bridgestone all seasons to be very capable in snow, slush, ice, rain AND dry pavement. I expect no less from them on dirt cowpaths

You can compare tire specs at tirerack.com

OP
OP
BravoV4

BravoV4

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
An inch lower would mean the diameter changed by 2 inches. There will be a variance between manufacturers for exact same size and tire type but not two inches. Street tread will be smaller diameter than off road. But the biggest difference is that you probably went with wider rims which squats the tires more than they might have been designed for.

Side note: I have found the oem Bridgestone all seasons to be very capable in snow, slush, ice, rain AND dry pavement. I expect no less from them on dirt cowpaths

You can compare tire specs at tirerack.com

So I checked the difference is in rim size. The stock OBX are 18x7.5 the ones I got are 18x9. Is there anything I can do to make up for that?

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Like @JohnnyBronco said. Though specs on tire size same different manufacturers can end up with different real world diameter. Wheel width also may be factor.

Do you still have the Bridgestones? Pretty good tire. What made you switch out for firestones? If you have stock tires can put those back on I guess get your height back. Good luck.

Edit: Saw your updated post on wheel width. Stock tires back on likely won’t change anything.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So I checked the difference is in rim size. The stock OBX are 18x7.5 the ones I got are 18x9. Is there anything I can do to make up for that?
Get a bigger tire

Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you sure it sits lower or just looks like it does? There must be a lot of wheel poke now with a wheel that's an inch and half wider and going from 55 offset to 0.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You should have went with a wider tire to account for wider rim

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah 0 offset and 1.5 wider rim and your wheel should stick out from under fender. That’s about 3 inches out.

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
Changing the width of the rim has no significant effect on the tire diameter, are you sure you bought the same exact size tire? There will be small variances in diameter depending on the brand/type of tire you bought but I doubt you would see a 2 inch change in diameter. You didn't happen to get 255/60r18? (this would reduce the outside diameter by approx. 2 inches)

Shoresy

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land cruiser, focus st
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like a lot of wheel (9”) for a 255 on an off road vehicle. But if you like the look then who cares? What’s the problem?

Sponsored
OP
OP
BravoV4

BravoV4

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Changing the width of the rim has no significant effect on the tire diameter, are you sure you bought the same exact size tire? There will be small variances in diameter depending on the brand/type of tire you bought but I doubt you would see a 2 inch change in diameter. You didn't happen to get 255/60r18? (this would reduce the outside diameter by approx. 2 inches)
Absolutely positive got the same tire size.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Absolutely positive got the same tire size.
I was about to post this exact same thing as @1970AMCAMX. Could even be 255/55R18??

I mean... yeah... you went from All-Terrain tires to All Season tires and a wider rim. All-Terrains generally have 1/8" thicker tread than All Seasons, and tires do sit a little lower with a wider rim, but none of that accounts for a 2" difference.

How are you measuring the 2" difference? None of it makes any sense if you got the same size tire.

Also measure the sidewall on your new tires. It should be just over 7 inches.

r21free

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wifes bronco has stock ranger rims18x 8,5 and 285/65 /18,, The tires are 32.6 inch tall a full 1/2 taller.. but look small..
Ford Bronco New Tires and Wheels, slight issue. bronco 11

OP
OP
BravoV4

BravoV4

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was about to post this exact same thing as @1970AMCAMX. Could even be 255/55R18??

I mean... yeah... you went from All-Terrain tires to All Season tires and a wider rim. All-Terrains generally have 1/8" thicker tread than All Seasons, and tires do sit a little lower with a wider rim, but none of that accounts for a 2" difference.

How are you measuring the 2" difference? None of it makes any sense if you got the same size tire.

Also measure the sidewall on your new tires. It should be just over 7 inches.

Measured the sidewall. 6.5 inches compared to 7 on the Bridgestones

Edit: I compared to another Bronco OBX at my dealership and it was definitely lower. I've got my measuring tape to bring with me tomorrow to measure and see what's up.

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Measured the sidewall. 6.5 inches compared to 7 on the Bridgestones
Alright well that means you lost an 0.5 inches of height and not a full inch... but I'ma ignoring that for a second.

What's the width of the tire? If it is 10 inches wide, then your new tires are actually 255/65R18 tire, not 255/70R18.
Sponsored