Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you actually check the label on the sidewall of your tire to confirm they are really 255/70R18?? A 6.5 sidewall is definitely suggests they are 255/65R18 and not 255/70R18. I mean, I guess MAYBE if you combine the wider rim with the tread differences you can get to a 0.5" difference in height. Definitely would not get a full 1" difference in height though.

But anyway... assuming you did receive the correct size tires, to fix it you either need to buy a bigger tire or get a leveling kit, like this one from Rough Country

OP
OP
BravoV4

BravoV4

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Accord and a 2018 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did you actually check the label on the sidewall of your tire to confirm they are really 255/70R18?? A 6.5 sidewall is definitely suggests they are 255/65R18 and not 255/70R18. I mean, I guess MAYBE if you combine the wider rim with the tread differences you can get to a 0.5" difference in height. Definitely would not get a full 1" difference in height though.

But anyway... assuming you did receive the correct size tires, to fix it you either need to buy a bigger tire or get a leveling kit, like this one from Rough Country

I've quadrupled checked now on the measurements on the tires to make sure I'm not being a dumbass and it's 255/70/R18. Thank You @RagnarKon very much appreciated.

Bongo Fury

Base
First Name
Bongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've quadrupled checked now on the measurements on the tires to make sure I'm not being a dumbass and it's 255/70/R18. Thank You @RagnarKon very much appreciated.
Ford Bronco New Tires and Wheels, slight issue. 1642732650359
I

Read the Notes
The fine print says they can alter size specs without notice.
Shrinkflation
Same product only less bang for the buck

OP
OP
BravoV4

BravoV4

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Like @JohnnyBronco said. Though specs on tire size same different manufacturers can end up with different real world diameter. Wheel width also may be factor.

Do you still have the Bridgestones? Pretty good tire. What made you switch out for firestones? If you have stock tires can put those back on I guess get your height back. Good luck.

Edit: Saw your updated post on wheel width. Stock tires back on likely won’t change anything.

The Bridgestones were fine, never had any issues with them. But with I know those wouldn't last long and I wanted a wheel anyway. Customoffset.com puts a tire and wheel combination together and ships it all done. The stock OBX wheels and tires will be kept safely away if I ever need them for anything.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

According to tirerack, the Firestone LE3 and the on/off road Bridgestone Dueler have identical tire diameter at 32.1" but tread width on the Firestone is .7" wider and weighs 5 pounds less. Identical load ratings but partially due to more street like pattern and 1/8" LESS tread depth the Firestone should last longer.

My additional thought other than wheel width (and why did OP not just buy rims since the oem tires are worth almost $500 more than what he bought, at retail) is that due to less agressive tread and visual appearance from side he only thinks vehicle sits lower. But he opted for what I think are "comfort" tires instead of mud/snow

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford Bronco New Tires and Wheels, slight issue. 1642732650359BRIDGESTONEDUELER A/T RH-S
(238)

| Reviews (213)

Ford Bronco New Tires and Wheels, slight issue. 1642732650359FIRESTONEDESTINATION LE3
(48)

| Reviews (24)

Tire Rack Tested
Qty:
Per Tire:$262.74
Free Shipping
Qty:
Per Tire:$190.47
Free Shipping
Set of 4: $1,050.96Set of 4: $761.88
Add to CartAdd to Cart
Save for LaterSave for Later
Estimated Delivery DateTue, 01/25Tue, 01/25
Road Hazard ProtectionFree($101.80 value. Two-year coverage.)Free($73.80 value. Two-year coverage.)
Consumer Survey Stats
Tire Category Rank(of available tires in size)23 out of 291 out of 47
Total Miles Reported9,621,599238,165
Would You Recommend6.68.8
Off-Road Performance7.58.0
Wet Performance7.69.3
Dry Performance8.39.4
Winter/Snow Performance7.58.8
Comfort Performance8.09.4
Treadwear Performance8.19.5
Tire Specifications
Basic Specifications
UTQG440 B B700 A B
Service Description113T113T
Country of OriginCAUS
Detailed Specifications
Load RangePendingPending
StyleBlackwallOutlined White Letters
Maximum Load2535 lbs2535 lbs
Maximum Inflation Pressure44 psi44 psi
Tread Depth14/32"10/32"
Tire Weight40 lbs35 lbs
Rim Width Range6.5-8.5"6.5-8.5"
Measuring Rim Width7.5"7.5"
Section Width10.2"10.2"
Tread Width7"7.7"
Overall Diameter32.1"32.1"
Revolutions per Mile649649

OP
OP
BravoV4

BravoV4

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
According to tirerack, the Firestone LE3 and the on/off road Bridgestone Dueler have identical tire diameter at 32.1" but tread width on the Firestone is .7" wider and weighs 5 pounds less. Identical load ratings but partially due to more street like pattern and 1/8" LESS tread depth the Firestone should last longer.

My additional thought other than wheel width (and why did OP not just buy rims since the oem tires are worth almost $500 more than what he bought, at retail) is that due to less agressive tread and visual appearance from side he only thinks vehicle sits lower. But he opted for what I think are "comfort" tires instead of mud/snow

I went to tirerack, before I ordered everything, to do some homework and pick out a tire that I thought would go well with the wheels I wanted. Tirerack had these rated the best in almost all categories and I figured everything else would be the same measurement/fitment wise. Lesson learned that's for sure.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do you still have the original wheels/tires? Would be interesting to see the comparison. Where exactly are you measuring for a change in vehicle height? Even though those rims seem a bit wide for the tire, I can't imagine they'd have that much affect. Wondering why you went with 9 inch wide wheels if you were staying with a 255 wide tire.

Can you post a picture of the wheel/tire?

MillerAndCheeto

Wildtrak
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Cyber Orange Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Measured the sidewall. 6.5 inches compared to 7 on the Bridgestones

Edit: I compared to another Bronco OBX at my dealership and it was definitely lower. I've got my measuring tape to bring with me tomorrow to measure and see what's up.
You took the tires off the truck first to measure, right? You can't compare sidewall vs. sidewall if one has a 5,000 lb truck on top of it.

Sponsored

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I ordered a custom set of tires and wheels once,the bore in the center wouldn't fit over my locking hubs in the front.
After a bunch of phone calls the finally had to come get them and they were shipped back.
Now I just go to my trusted tire guys and everything is great.
Good luck.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went to tirerack,.... to do some homework
Don't get me wrong, I love the Tirerack , BUT , their customer review system is not reliable.
I bought two sets of General tires that had AWESOME reviews, but found out that after year two, they turn to absolute shit.
Two different tire models, exact same issues.
Rubber went hard, so on wet streets they would slip so freaking easily, it was dangerous.
They also became very noisy and rode like hell after that rubber had aged.

I was never so happy to get rid of a set of tires .. two sets actually.
So, yeah, it creeps me out that Generals come standard on the Black Diamond as I recall.

Michelins, Firestones, BFG's, Bridgestone Blizzaks have all done well for me over the years.
The new Toyos show promise but I've got less than 1k miles on them so far. But they are SMOOTH running and riding so far.

as far as your ride height issue, I'd look pretty hard at the sidewall sag.
Folks are getting hung up on that 2" number, but the truck only causes one portion of the sidewall to sag. Ever seen a flat tire? As the saying goes, it's only flat on the bottom!

Your looking for a 1" loss of ride height, maybe less.
So, maybe a softer sidewall which has been stretched too far over a too wide wheel??
Kind of a double whammy.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We really need a picture of these new wheels/tires.

OP
OP
BravoV4

BravoV4

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford Bronco New Tires and Wheels, slight issue. 20220121_071831

@kodiakisland hopefully this helps. If you need different photos let me know.

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FIRST and FOREMOST , what was your goal with the wheel and tire swap?
We really need to know what your goal was before we can offer a solution out.
Why those wheels?
Why those tires?
Why those sizes?
DETAILS!

As it looks, it's simply too narrow of a tire on a too wide wheel.

Looking at the stats you posted above ....

I'd guess they measure on the ideal wheel width with the acceptable range being the over/under size. You are outside those allowances.
I'd rather be on the too narrow wheel than too wide.
Although wide wheel/skinny tire is a popular look in certain communities.

I know it's a lot of work, measure the ride height at various points, then put the stockers back on and re-measure so you have a solid # for how much it has changed. Any easily re-measurable point will do since we are not dealing with suspension.
Be advised to let the truck roll out a bit to relax the suspension after taking it off the jacks.
It's possible this is all or mostly "perspective".
Did you take solid measurements before hand?

Alternatively, find a similar stock Bronco and measure it out. Should be pretty close if all the big variables are the same (OBX, motor size, etc)

Just looking at the pics , I get the sinking feeling that this is one of those "Pretty fly for a white guy" (song by Offspring) moments. Dude tried to do all the cool shit, but gets all the parts wrong.
Everything has to work together.

9" is just too wide for a 255 & short sidewall tire.
Looking at https://tiresize.com/chart/ and check out all the stats.
For a 9" wheel , I say you need to be at 275/65-18 if you are trying to stay at stock height. 32.1"
By pure luck, that 18" size has A LOT of options in the SL, XL and C range.
That will look tough, ride well, sit at proper ride height, speedo will be correct but fuel mileage may take a hit.

I suspect you went for the ride quality of the SL rated tire, so stay away from Load Range E, if that is the case. Stay with SL, XL or C ... my opinion, IF your looking for a softer ride. (I stayed with Load Range C)
Sponsored