Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@Strizzo I'm still not sure what you mean with the longer bump stops. Longer than what earlier version? We're talking about Fox aftermarket Performance Elite Series coilovers, correct?
In this video discussing the Fox 2.5 Performance Elite, the guys at shock surplus mention the longer bumpstop on the fox compared to king and icon, and an early version on the BDS half cab bronco which apparently did not have the longer bumpstops. They also mention the icon bumpstop spacer for running 37's

Sponsored

AccuTune Offroad

Base
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sasquatch 4 Door, Jeep JLUR, Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
In this video discussing the Fox 2.5 Performance Elite, the guys at shock surplus mention the longer bumpstop on the fox compared to king and icon, and an early version on the BDS half cab bronco which apparently did not have the longer bumpstops. They also mention the icon bumpstop spacer for running 37's

1" longer at compression (block height). I would be curious to know how they are getting their information on that specific detail.

Hydro bumps? šŸ¤£

I can't wait to put together our tech article about these shocks with factual data to share.

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks, I'm not opposed to adding an inch or two, I just don't want to run 3-5" because my wife is short and its already tough to get in for her, and I don't want to deal with the issues that much additional lift bring to the table. I previously had an Xterra for almost ten years so I am familiar with the challenges dealing with limited travel in an ifs setup.

Instead of further derailing this thread, I might make a separate thread once I organize my questions better.
There was just a post from someone that used the Fox shocks he got from Shock Surplus about a week ago. He cranked up the fronts for about 2 inches of lift in front I believe( meaning he let off pre-load to lower it). You will have to look for it.

Also Rad Flo has stock length and Extended travel Coil overs. Stock length are the same overall length as Sasquatch Bilstiens. Extended are longer like most other aftermarket coil overs. They are adjustable so you can crank them up or down to get different ride Heights....... like has been mentioned it would take others testing them out to see what heights are possible.

The more you crank them up it adds pre load which makes them firmer, less pre-load makes them softer.... but how it effects ride quality would require experimenting.

PCDan

First Edition
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm running the FOX 2.5 PERFORMANCE ELITE COILOVERS and out of the box the rig is running nose high. The ride feels good in general, have hit a couple of gravel roads on Baja mode ..go fast :) nearby but I haven't got a change to flex it at the trails in PA. I'm planning on putting a few 100 miles before adjusting to correct for high and level it.

For reference I have Camburg UCA, ICON steering and RCV axles with ICON rear arms and track bar in my set up.

IMG_6642.jpg
Thats odd! Iā€™ve had my Fox Coilovers on my 4dr First Edition for over 1.5 years (I got one of the first sets available ). It sat perfectly level right after install and it is still level, even with the 80lb 37 Nitto hanging off the back. I expected a little drop in the front after a while but itā€™s exactly where it was after install. The spring preload on the rears on mine was barely turned down, just a few thread turns, so it would be easy to lift the rear a little by increasing the preload. Your referenced aftermarket goodies donā€™t have anything to do with with ride height ā€¦ just spin down the spring a little šŸ˜ using a spring compressor of course ! FYI the fox 2.5 tool does not work, get the 3.0 if you plan to buy the preload tool.

I agree with the post that the rear springs are a little soft, might change them when there are some aftermarket progressive spings available.

Last edited:

AccuTune Offroad

Base
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thats odd! Iā€™ve had my Fox Coilovers on my 4dr First Edition for over 1.5 years ( I got one of the first sets available ). It sat perfectly level right after install and it is still level, even with the 80lb 37 Nitto hanging off the back. I expected a little drop in the front after a while but itā€™s exactly where it was after install. The spring preload on the rears on mine was barely turned down, just a few thread turns, so it would be easy to lift the rear a little by increasing the preload. Your referenced aftermarket goodies donā€™t have anything to do with with ride height ā€¦ so just spin down the spring a little (using spring compressors !) FYI the fox 2.5 tool does not work, get the 3.0 if you plan to buy the preload tool.

I probably agree with the post that the rear springs are a little soft, but not enough to change them out.
If you got those shocks 1.5 years ago, you likely have a different rear spring than what is being sold today. By chance, do you see a PN on the rear springs you can find?

Sponsored

PCDan

First Edition
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If you got those shocks 1.5 years ago, you likely have a different rear spring than what is being sold today. By chance, do you see a PN on the rear springs you can find?
I donā€™t see a PN peeking under the truck.

I did just measure mine for the hell of it, and Iā€™m at 7ā€ tire to flare in front and 6.5+ in the rear ā€¦ but it looks level to me lol (37ā€ Nittos which are one of the tallest 37s I think ). Iā€™m assuming the OP is on 37s, so interesting the ride height difference.
Looks can be deceiving and the truck actually sits differently parked depending on if you stopped after going forward or after backing up
Ford Bronco Nose high on Fox 2.5 (not leveled) IMG_9099

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroncoDEPR

BroncoDEPR

Badlands
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1" longer at compression (block height). I would be curious to know how they are getting their information on that specific detail.

Hydro bumps? šŸ¤£

I can't wait to put together our tech article about these shocks with factual data to share.
Thats odd! Iā€™ve had my Fox Coilovers on my 4dr First Edition for over 1.5 years (I got one of the first sets available ). It sat perfectly level right after install and it is still level, even with the 80lb 37 Nitto hanging off the back. I expected a little drop in the front after a while but itā€™s exactly where it was after install. The spring preload on the rears on mine was barely turned down, just a few thread turns, so it would be easy to lift the rear a little by increasing the preload. Your referenced aftermarket goodies donā€™t have anything to do with with ride height ā€¦ just spin down the spring a little šŸ˜ using a spring compressor of course ! FYI the fox 2.5 tool does not work, get the 3.0 if you plan to buy the preload tool.

I agree with the post that the rear springs are a little soft, might change them when there are some aftermarket progressive spings available.
Mine rode a bit higher on the front end for the first couple hundred miles. I was hoping to lift it more today but my technician was not able to get the spanner tool. Can you provide the part number of the 3,0 tool you used ?

AccuTune Offroad

Base
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I donā€™t see a PN peeking under the truck.
10-4. Sometimes the part number on the springs can be extremely hard to find. I am 99% positive those are different spring rates than what is being sold today. Sounds like its working out for you, which is great to hear.

PCDan

First Edition
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Mine rode a bit higher on the front end for the first couple hundred miles. I was hoping to lift it more today but my technician was not able to get the spanner tool. Can you provide the part number of the 3,0 tool you used ?
Interesting. Seems mine came with more front preload than yours, but like I said the rears have almost no spring preload, so like Accu said it sounds like I have a different spring in the back šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

I never actually changed my preload from stock after I bought the 2.5 spanner wrench that doesnā€™t work lol. So sorry, I donā€™t have the PN.

c00kedg00se

Outer Banks
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR2, Expedition, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here is the response I got from BDSā€¦. I was having the same squatting from the Fox coilovers. I too couldnā€™t find the spring part number.

ā€œYeah, they are very soft sprung from factory and the anti squat geometry is not great. The ride height can change just on how you stop them and put them in park. I saw a guy power brake his and raised it like 3- 4 inches.
Since these coil overs are sprung to keep great ride quality they are going to sit lower due to the added accessories. Fox is recommending different spring rates when accessories are added. We are recommending Fox part # 033-23-250-1 or a spring that the rate is 250 lb/in, is 16" long and has a 3.75" diameter for your application and the accessories that you have added. The amount of preload you added is more than they recommend as they say 1/2" additional preload is the max and based off your measurement you have added a full 1". Unfortunately this is not a spring we stock so it will have to from Fox directly or Eibach. Hopefully this helps explains this and please do feel free to reach back out to me at the phone number below if you have any more questions.ā€

Sponsored

AccuTune Offroad

Base
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here is the response I got from BDSā€¦. I was having the same squatting from the Fox coilovers. I too couldnā€™t find the spring part number.

ā€œYeah, they are very soft sprung from factory and the anti squat geometry is not great. The ride height can change just on how you stop them and put them in park. I saw a guy power brake his and raised it like 3- 4 inches.
Since these coil overs are sprung to keep great ride quality they are going to sit lower due to the added accessories. Fox is recommending different spring rates when accessories are added. We are recommending Fox part # 033-23-250-1 or a spring that the rate is 250 lb/in, is 16" long and has a 3.75" diameter for your application and the accessories that you have added. The amount of preload you added is more than they recommend as they say 1/2" additional preload is the max and based off your measurement you have added a full 1". Unfortunately this is not a spring we stock so it will have to from Fox directly or Eibach. Hopefully this helps explains this and please do feel free to reach back out to me at the phone number below if you have any more questions.ā€
That is a similar spring package we are currently offering with these shocks. We are adjusting the valving inside the shocks as well to go along with those heavier spring rates.

IslandBronc

Badlands
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Just curious but did you upgrade your spare tire carrier or are you utilizing the stock carrier that came with the bronco?

PCDan

First Edition
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Just curious but did you upgrade your spare tire carrier or are you utilizing the stock carrier that came with the bronco?
Still using stock. The tire rests on the bumper.