Sponsored

Not a gear head so explain to me 2.3 vs 2.7 . . .

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Isn't the 2.3L the same one that was on the Focus RS? Same one on the Ranger?
Sponsored

1st4rd

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crosstrek, Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Every day millions of people merge on the highway with clapped out old 4 cylinders. You don't need a big engine to drive on a highway. Again....y'all just looking for an excuse.

Sure...quicker is better but a 2.7L isn't the starting entry fee to the highway.
I have a pathetic 2.0 NA 150 hp engine in my Crosstrek - but I have a manual, so there are no issues merging. That 2.3 will be just fine I'll bet

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A 2.3L with 270 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque has more power than most production cars / trucks.
I had a 'vert Mustang Ecoboost, Automatic (Long story, wasn't my choice)

Stock, it did 14.7 down a quarter (2nd time ever drag racing) and took it to 144 on a trip down to Mexico stock as well. I did an impromt 1/4 at a Tollbooth in Mexico and did 13.5 at 107

311whp w/out a Downpipe and generic tune, 275whp on a Truck Dyno with a few extra goodies (I have the dyno sheet at my folks house).

Obviously there'll be a weight difference, but those things will respond to mods and while I'm not sure if Mustang and Ranger parts are interchangeable, engine's been out long enough that you can make up the difference.

It won't be a 2.7tt, but it's hardly a slouch and besides, easier to make power with the 2.3t than the 3.6 Jeep

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A concern of mine is that the Bronco is a flying brick. What will the 2.3 feel like on a vehicle with no consideration to aerodynamics.

I have had an FJ40, FJ60, FJ Cruiser and Jeep Rubicon so I can speak from a little bit of wisdom.

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
A concern of mine is that the Bronco is a flying brick. What will the 2.3 feel like on a vehicle with no consideration to aerodynamics.

I have had an FJ40, FJ60, FJ Cruiser and Jeep Rubicon so I can speak from a little bit of wisdom.
Go test drive a Ranger. It's basically a brick as well. Same engine.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

That and 35" tires are going to impact acceleration. Hopefully the 2.3L will be able to keep up, especially at higher altitudes. Yeah I know turbo is good for the latter, but with gear and stuff at higher altitude, will see ...

Last edited:

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

None of the vehicles you listed are Ecoboosts though. Ecoboosts are designed for low/mid range power. Even with 35's it will be fine due to do the 4.7 ratio.

Seriously guys... If y'all have doubts go test drive a Ranger or an Explorer with the 2.3.

D K

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base

Sponsored

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe that driving a Ranger is a great idea to see how well the motor performs. And I realize that my past vehicles did not have an ecoboost. My point is that I had the same motor in a Tacoma as the FJ Cruiser. The shape does affect the performance.

I am not complaining. Just curious is all.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m already researching mods, having a history with turbo 4 bangers, reading the Ranger forums, Mustang EBs, etc., I know that the Bronco with the 2.3 will perform and be quite powerful with mods and Very responsive with a manual transmission and since I’m leaning towards manual transmission as a must, I probably don’t have a choice, but the 2.7 would be preferred. Damn Ford. No 2.7 and Manual. You dropped the ball.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Don't discount this 4 banger for a second...

Much more aftermarket available for this engine.

Check this out: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...s-684-hp-from-ford-four-cylinder-23-ecoboost/

If the towing is the same and once I figure out the gear ratios and curb weights, I'll go with a manual 2.3.
I understand that - but I'm not making mods to the engine of my new car. It will have to meet my needs in that regard from the factory. Else I would opt for a different engine or buy something else from the get go.

D K

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
Right.
I'm saying if the engine is capable of doing that, adding 50hp/tq with a simple tune is probably pretty easy.

I understand that - but I'm not making mods to the engine of my new car. It will have to meet my needs in that regard from the factory. Else I would opt for a different engine or buy something else from the get go.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That and 35" tires are going to impact acceleration. Hopefully the 2.3L will be able to keep up, especially at higher altitudes. Yeah I know turbo is good for the latter, but with gear and stuff at higher altitude, will see ...
They'll have Ford Performance Tunes for it
Sponsored