First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No, I am not talking about traction, transmission, or anything related to performance. I am talking about the ability to crack the windows to get some air when you are just waiting for the rain to pass or are taking a nap... In a drizzle, not a torrent.

The frameless door design is a giant liability in this department. The glass bulges slightly outwards and there is no gutter above it to catch drips or direct rain. In fact water that rolls off the hard top has a direct path to the cab at the front of the 1st row seats. In the images below the front window is cracked at most 3/4 inch. The rear windows don't seem to suffer from thisnissue

Really disappointed at this design oversight. Any suggestions for decent wind deflectors that may alleviate this issue? Are wind deflectors even a possibility with frameless doors?

Ford Bronco Not that great in rain due to window design 1000006572

Ford Bronco Not that great in rain due to window design 1000006573
Sponsored

Last edited:

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rains hard enough here in Florida that the window design doesnā€™t make a difference. When you open the door to get in or out everything gets wet. I never crack the windows. Itā€™s either top off or AC on.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't think it is a design oversight as much as an acceptance that the interior will get wet if you open the windows while it is raining. They could add a frame on top of the door so that people could add those plastic wind/rain guards, but then there would be people like me saying the additional frame adds unnecessary weight and makes taking the doors off and storing more problematic.
@604Bronco has a good solution worth trying, but may not totally solve your problem if there is sideways rain.

Sponsored

rustedgoat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Base
During a down pour I had to load some stuff into the back of my 2 door, rear window became a funnel into the interior once opened.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Meh, it's a Bronco. It'll get wet and dirty inside at some point no matter what. And it's only water if you get a little wet. I'm not worried about it

rustedgoat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Base
It was the no "tailgating" during rain was a big bummer to me.

OP
OP

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for the responses. My beef is not getting slightly wet for a short amount of time. At the moment I am sitting in nearly continuous drizzle in western AZ courtesy of hurricane Hilary. I am waiting for the storm to start clearing tonight or tomorrow and hopefully get some great views to photograph. I will need to spend 8 hrs in the rain today, sleep in the vehicle overnight, and probably another 2-4 hrs tomorrow. Yes, it is a corner case but it does not excuse the bonehead design decision to not provide any form of rain gutter above the doors. The water literally rolls off the top and into the vehicle. All it would have taken is a 1/8 inch lip on the panels.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Go Asian, my friend. They got plenty of options I'm sure. Cracking a window in the rain is so... mid-80's smoker chic. I haven't done so since my '82 Ford F-250 with the triangle window that we all love so much, it's completely disappeared by now.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the responses. My beef is not getting slightly wet for a short amount of time. At the moment I am sitting in nearly continuous drizzle in western AZ courtesy of hurricane Hilary. I am waiting for the storm to start clearing tonight or tomorrow and hopefully get some great views to photograph. I will need to spend 8 hrs in the rain today, sleep in the vehicle overnight, and probably another 2-4 hrs tomorrow. Yes, it is a corner case but it does not excuse the bonehead design decision to not provide any form of rain gutter above the doors. The water literally rolls off the top and into the vehicle. All it would have taken is a 1/8 inch lip on the panels.
I feel ya; the window design in the 6g Bronco is literally the Mustang window design. I just don't know you're going to get love on this.

Roll your window up and turn AC on? If you're living in your ride, due to the inclimate weather, sorry for your luck (I'm from Houston, I know what that privation means), I just don't know Ford needs to take that into account.

And that's me not loving these windows, while seeing why they did them the way they did. (See: tire carrier vs. tailgate w/roll up rear window)

OP
OP

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Update: those rain guards suggesred by @604Bronco come on two varieties - 4piece that butt up against each other potentially leaving a gap for water to drip out and 6 piece that have overlapping sections and are potentially easier to install and line up

https://a.co/d/fZT4Lu4

Ordered them, but am a bit apprehensive about removing my hard top panels to install. At the moment my hard top does not rattle squeak, or leak. Given Ford's horrible track record with the MIC who knows how they will behave after I put them back in :D

Tacanta14

Black Diamond
First Name
Wasichu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond 4 Door 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No, I am not talking about traction, transmission, or anything related to performance. I am talking about the ability to crack the windows to get some air when you are just waiting for the rain to pass or are taking a nap... In a drizzle, not a torrent.

The frameless door design is a giant liability in this department. The glass bulges slightly outwards and there is no gutter above it to catch drips or direct rain. In fact water that rolls off the hard top has a direct path to the cab at the front of the 1st row seats. In the images below the front window is cracked at most 3/4 inch. The rear windows don't seem to suffer from thisnissue

Really disappointed at this design oversight. Any suggestions for decent wind deflectors that may alleviate this issue? Are wind deflectors even a possibility with frameless doors?

That is WAY more than 3/4"; I measured it at 1 inch, and that's NOT a full size pix! That being said, yes, not great in the rain.

Coastalcop

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

silnylon tarp and some magnets. Throw it over the rear of the top and open the rear window. Secure with magnets ( the bed is magnetic).

I would have to think about an almost instant solution to your use case, but Iā€™ve used the silnylon tarp this way before to create a ā€œcocoonedā€ area around a vehicle opening.

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My TJ has a drip railā€¦ donā€™t get soaked when jumping in/out.

BL s not so muchā€¦ guess it just bathes me when driving it and rainy šŸ˜
Sponsored