Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, I’ve been combing through this forum constantly. And could use some feedback or opinions.

one thing I know is I’m going Orange, V blue was a close second.

torn between OBX & BL as they are pricing out exactly the same. Both with 2.3, hardtop, LUX, and hitch.

OBX with SAS, BL non-SAS with included 33’s. I like the look of both…prefer all black interior of BL but roast cloth looks good with Orange too.

I’m in NJ and most off roading I’ll be doing are mud trails, will most likely never use things like the disconnect. I do plan on having the top and doors off as often as possible. So my concern is seating during the summer/really hot days.

whats are y’all’s thoughts on a OBX SAS vs BL Non-Sas. For those of you with MGV, how hot/uncomfortable have they been for you on hot days. And for those of you with cloth, what are some drawbacks?

thanks everyone for your opinions!
Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So, I’ve been combing through this forum constantly. And could use some feedback or opinions.

one thing I know is I’m going Orange, V blue was a close second.

torn between OBX & BL as they are pricing out exactly the same. Both with 2.3, hardtop, LUX, and hitch.

OBX with SAS, BL non-SAS with included 33’s. I like the look of both…prefer all black interior of BL but roast cloth looks good with Orange too.

I’m in NJ and most off roading I’ll be doing are mud trails, will most likely never use things like the disconnect. I do plan on having the top and doors off as often as possible. So my concern is seating during the summer/really hot days.

whats are y’all’s thoughts on a OBX SAS vs BL Non-Sas. For those of you with MGV, how hot/uncomfortable have they been for you on hot days. And for those of you with cloth, what are some drawbacks?

thanks everyone for your opinions!
My non-sas OBX is more comfortable riding, allegedly, than the Badlands. I get 21 mpg on the highway and 18 mpg round town, I have the 2.7 engine with the upgrade to advanced transfer case, which includes the rear locker and an upgrade from the 3.73 stock OBX axle to the lower geared 4.27 axles. I upgraded to the leather Roast Onyx seats for the increased comfort and adjustability as a tall person, with the High package. The standard auto trans, step boards, monochrome paint, cameras and 360° lighting are great features. However, to upgrade to the 33" tires I want, I'll have to spend $3,500 on wheels and tires, because the 18" rims have limited availability of load range C tires; these tires are only available on the 17" wheels, which are stock on the Badlands.

If you like the Badlands with the 33" tires and dont think you'll want to upgrade to larger tires, seeing the 33's and perfect for you, then the Badlands is the better buy for off road technology. Its stock lifted .67 inches over the OBX with 32" tires so it can fit the 33" tires. It has superior shocks and suspension. And the sway bar disconnect. Theres also the drain flooring and the rock rails. It will be 1.5 inches higher than the OBX, without the steps, if you have short family members. Keep in mind that the BL has the 4.46 axles, which are 1-2 mpg less efficient than the OBX.

I love the luxuries in my OBX, but part of me wishes I had gotten the BL and added some options that are standard on the OBX. I think you'll find that if you equip a non-sas badlands like a High trim OBX, you'll pay about $4,000 more, and have a more capable off road vehicle thats almost as comfortable as the OBX. Personally, I can't say how comfortable the BL is on the highway.

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What about considering a black diamond ?

jedmisten

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife’s friend has an OBX, lux, SAS, 2.7l, with a soft top, and we just got our BL, High, SAS, 2.7l with a soft top. They are both great and the SAS’s ride is fantastic. I love the MGV seats and rubberized flooring without carpet. For our family, it made sense. Kids, pets, and sports don’t bode well with carpet. So far MGV has not been an issue in the heat. In fact, our leather seats in our Flex get hotter. Only time will tell with how they will hold up, but I would take the BL over the OBX because it meets our needs.

Final thoughts though (just my opinion) if you are not going SAS on the BL, I would just go with the OBX SAS. After the going to the Off-Roadeo today, I think the SAS is the way to go even in the BL’s. It adds the front lockers which was very beneficial today. With that said, who cares what I think. You do you and what works with you and your family.

What ever you decide, it will be worth it. Our SAS BL’s showed up on 11/9. It’s legit!

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OB 2-Door V6 Sasquatch AMB High Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
And for those of you with cloth, what are some drawbacks?
The seat heaters warm too quickly 🤷🏻‍♂️

Seriously though, you can’t wrong between these two options; it’s exactly what I whittled down to and ultimately went OB Sas mainly because I didn’t want to regret not getting Sasquatch, there will be other solutions for the sway bar, and the roast cloth was most appealing to me of all the interiors.

I still have a second reservation, it’s a Badlands but unless I win the lottery that’s just a dream to have both.

Sponsored
OP
OP

njcoach24

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My non-sas OBX is more comfortable riding, allegedly, than the Badlands. I get 21 mpg on the highway and 18 mpg round town, I have the 2.7 engine with the upgrade to advanced transfer case, which includes the rear locker and an upgrade from the 3.73 stock OBX axle to the lower geared 4.27 axles. I upgraded to the leather Roast Onyx seats for the increased comfort and adjustability as a tall person, with the High package. The standard auto trans, step boards, monochrome paint, cameras and 360° lighting are great features. However, to upgrade to the 33" tires I want, I'll have to spend $3,500 on wheels and tires, because the 18" rims have limited availability of load range C tires; these tires are only available on the 17" wheels, which are stock on the Badlands.

If you like the Badlands with the 33" tires and dont think you'll want to upgrade to larger tires, seeing the 33's and perfect for you, then the Badlands is the better buy for off road technology. Its stock lifted .67 inches over the OBX with 32" tires so it can fit the 33" tires. It has superior shocks and suspension. And the sway bar disconnect. Theres also the drain flooring and the rock rails. It will be 1.5 inches higher than the OBX, without the steps, if you have short family members. Keep in mind that the BL has the 4.46 axles, which are 1-2 mpg less efficient than the OBX.

I love the luxuries in my OBX, but part of me wishes I had gotten the BL and added some options that are standard on the OBX. I think you'll find that if you equip a non-sas badlands like a High trim OBX, you'll pay about $4,000 more, and have a more capable off road vehicle thats almost as comfortable as the OBX. Personally, I can't say how comfortable the BL is on the highway.
thanks! Lots of good info here. I’m glad you are loving the OBX but I definitely get that feeling about all the trims, they each have their own kinda unique touches.

OP
OP

njcoach24

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What about considering a black diamond ?
thought about this many times. I really want the “signature” lights and big screen from LUX. If I convince myself I don’t need them, which I dont lol, that would save me some money.

OP
OP

njcoach24

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wife’s friend has an OBX, lux, SAS, 2.7l, with a soft top, and we just got our BL, High, SAS, 2.7l with a soft top. They are both great and the SAS’s ride is fantastic. I love the MGV seats and rubberized flooring without carpet. For our family, it made sense. Kids, pets, and sports don’t bode well with carpet. So far MGV has not been an issue in the heat. In fact, our leather seats in our Flex get hotter. Only time will tell with how they will hold up, but I would take the BL over the OBX because it meets our needs.

Final thoughts though (just my opinion) if you are not going SAS on the BL, I would just go with the OBX SAS. After the going to the Off-Roadeo today, I think the SAS is the way to go even in the BL’s. It adds the front lockers which was very beneficial today. With that said, who cares what I think. You do you and what works with you and your family.

What ever you decide, it will be worth it. Our SAS BL’s showed up on 11/9. It’s legit!
my kids and sports, I’m entering into that world….have considered this a little, maybe. Should be a main consideration. Congrats on getting yours!

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I debated the OBX and the Bl for months and months. Ended up staying with the OBX. I’ll probably add ko2 to it but not much else as it is loaded out. I am being honest - my Bronco will never see off-roading more than to park in the grass occasionally. . I wanted the best and quietest ride I could get- and it still be a Bronco. Do I love the rugged looks of the bl or sasq package- sure I do. But I’ll be 68 soon- best to leave the real adventures to the younger ones.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A couple of things:

I mean to me it sounds like non-SAS OBX all the way IF you're not off-roading.

I definitely wouldn't get SAS. You can add a lift and 35s later but with the lower gears in SAS you'll be paying extra at the gas pump for no benefit. Same is true for all of the bash plates in the BL, extra weight that kills MPG.

As far as the 12" screen, that's in the High package so you don't have to go up to Lux unless you want the adaptive cruise (Lux is definitely worth it to me for that alone).

I really like the leather seats in the Roast color. My dealer has a demo OB with leather and I love the interior colors. That is the only option is has (the smaller screen is disappointing).

Now all of that being said, I went BL because I'm going to wheel the heck out of mine (had it at the off-road park in the first week) so there really was no choice for me.

To be honest I was a little disappointed in how the stock OBX looked and drove. It just didn't feel right on 32s. I LOVE my BL SAS. It is so so fun to drive, huge difference. If I were getting a Bronco that I never planned on driving off-road I would get an non-SAS OBX and 100% have a lift (with decent coil-overs) and 35s WAITING for it to show up. Wouldn't drive it 1 day on 32s.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The interior choices made up my mind. The OBX is the practical choice for me, but I would have to go SAS with that model. The BL has the interior I like and looks great with the standard 33” tires. I can add steps if the wife requires them. I to will most likely never use the disconnect, but I just can’t justify dropping so much cash on a model that the interior isn’t what I like. BL is the winner, BTW CO as well, two door.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

my kids and sports, I’m entering into that world….have considered this a little, maybe. Should be a main consideration. Congrats on getting yours!
These are all good points. I came really close to SASing my OBX. I avoided the SAS because I was afraid it would be too uncomfortable a ride, and was unable to test ride a SAS vs an OBX when I ordered in February. Also, the height. Now that the vehicles are out, you can actually test drive them instead of theoretically comparing them. And make a real life decision. When I parked my OBX next to a FE with SAS a few weeks ago, I was glad I had the lower vehicle. But, this is such a personal preference decision, they're all excellent choices! Photo: my 32" tires OBX (bike rack) next to a SAS FE.

Ford Bronco OBX or BL Thoughts SmartSelect_20211122-072633_Gallery

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

A couple of things:

I mean to me it sounds like non-SAS OBX all the way IF you're not off-roading.

I definitely wouldn't get SAS. You can add a lift and 35s later but with the lower gears in SAS you'll be paying extra at the gas pump for no benefit. Same is true for all of the bash plates in the BL, extra weight that kills MPG.

As far as the 12" screen, that's in the High package so you don't have to go up to Lux unless you want the adaptive cruise (Lux is definitely worth it to me for that alone).

I really like the leather seats in the Roast color. My dealer has a demo OB with leather and I love the interior colors. That is the only option is has (the smaller screen is disappointing).

Now all of that being said, I went BL because I'm going to wheel the heck out of mine (had it at the off-road park in the first week) so there really was no choice for me.

To be honest I was a little disappointed in how the stock OBX looked and drove. It just didn't feel right on 32s. I LOVE my BL SAS. It is so so fun to drive, huge difference. If I were getting a Bronco that I never planned on driving off-road I would get an non-SAS OBX and 100% have a lift (with decent coil-overs) and 35s WAITING for it to show up. Wouldn't drive it 1 day on 32s.
Nice write up. Could you give an idea on the interior noise difference between the OBX and the bl considering the difference in tires?

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

These are all good points. I came really close to SASing my OBX. I avoided the SAS because I was afraid it would be too uncomfortable a ride, and was unable to test ride a SAS vs an OBX when I ordered in February. Also, the height. Now that the vehicles are out, you can actually test drive them instead of theoretically comparing them. And make a real life decision. When I parked my OBX next to a FE with SAS a few weeks ago, I was glad I had the lower vehicle. But, this is such a personal preference decision, they're all excellent choices! Photo: my 32" tires OBX (bike rack) next to a SAS FE.

Ford Bronco OBX or BL Thoughts SmartSelect_20211122-072633_Gallery
What would you say the actual height difference was?

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice write up. Could you give an idea on the interior noise difference between the OBX and the bl considering the difference in tires?
I can't really make that comparison because the OBX I drove was soft top vs my SAS BL is MIC. The noise diff there is huge.

I will say the SAS tire don't make much road noise though, about the only thing they're good for... They are the worst tires I could imagine as far as picking up and throwing rocks. If you ever touch gravel (parking lot, road,... ) the SAS tires will pick up every rock they encounter then throw them into your the bottom of your Bronco or 20 feet in the air behind you when you get up to speed. They are also completely worthless in the mud, clog instantly. Those tires are worthless, unless I guess you're only concern is having an MT that is quiet on the road...
Sponsored

Last edited: