Sponsored

OEM SAS Trim Ring “yellow” thread locker?

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor and 2019 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
All, read through several <long> threads on trim ring R&R difficulties, but could not find (mentioned)the specific yellow thread locker that Ford uses on our trim ring bolts. I’ve had my trim rings off twice now for tire replacement (not necessary I realize), long story, but tire shop damaged 2 out of 5 rings) and requested I remove them prior to coming in for exchange of my 35” K02s for Toyo Open Country ATs. Never had to remove trim rings on 2018 Raptor, but I want to get these tires installed and move on….

Searching on yellow threadlocker, there are different choices, anyone know specifically which one Ford uses? Plan on cleaning everything up and reapplying new threadlocker…. Before you comment, I need to stick with this shop (for now) as the owner was able to convince BFG to take back tires and give me 100% refund , don’t want to take all this “baggage” to a new shop…

TIA👍
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I could be wrong but I believe the Yellow has a slower cure time vs. Blue or Red. Also, Yellow is not as strong as the Blue or Red. IMO you'll be fine with Yellow or Blue, stay away form the red for this application.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So that's actually a pre-applied threadlocker. It's not something that comes in a little bottle that you can buy at the hardware store. The bolts are delivered with the threadlocker already applied & ready-to-go, and it is dry to the touch prior to installation. It's really intended for mass production.

Loctite's name brand for it is "Dri-Loc". I'm sure other companies sell it under their own names.

Bearcat1

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition Limited, 2006 BMW 330i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The first time I removed my rings (several times to repaint and then touch up), I scraped and brushed ALL of the yellow loctite off. I see no reason why these need any loctite applied at all.
I have ran mine for 20k miles with no loctite, all good. It also makes them much smoother to thread and remove.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Based on my looking around it's called Precote 30 with that being said you'd be hard press to find exactly that.

I'd go with locktite yellow as blue may be too strong and increase the likelihood that you damage the bolt head.

I know some people forgo locktite all together and just torque to spec with some anti seize. Just remember to adjust to wet torque.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Go with green. You really don't need anything super strong, just enough to keep from backing off from vibration or expansion and contraction.

Shane78

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Echoing above guy, I didn’t use thread locker. Ran mine for 15k and took my rings off to touch up some rock scrapes, they were still at same torque value as when I put them on. Just more work..but whatever you prefer

OP
OP
HotLap

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So that's actually a pre-applied threadlocker. It's not something that comes in a little bottle that you can buy at the hardware store. The bolts are delivered with the threadlocker already applied & ready-to-go, and it is dry to the touch prior to installation. It's really intended for mass production.

Loctite's name brand for it is "Dri-Loc". I'm sure other companies sell it under their own names.
Fantastic, thanks gents for the feedback, much appreciated!

TrailDust

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco, 23 Bronco Sport, 97 F-150, 07 Cummins
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Permatex Purple if you want to put thredlocker back on. I didn't.
Ford Bronco OEM SAS Trim Ring “yellow” thread locker? 1701885598034

OP
OP
HotLap

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Go with green. You really don't need anything super strong, just enough to keep from backing off from vibration or expansion and contraction.
Hey Flip, been awhile, thanks for your suggestion, never heard of the “Green”, sold under loctite name?

Sponsored
OP
OP
HotLap

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I removed my rings to get them powder coated, I brushed off the yellow loctite using a wire brush and then applied blue loctite 243 on them before reinstallation. I also torqued them down afterwards.

As others mentioned, as long as you don't use too strong of an adhesive you'll be fine.

https://a.co/d/bdXHGvJ

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Purple is fine too, green is just medium. I have both at home and use them on various gunsmithing applications.

OP
OP
HotLap

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OK, all done with trim ring reinstall. Cleaned the bolts (as best I could given the tenacity of the yellow loctite) and reinstalled using blue loctite w/o any drama. No stripped bolts and trim rings look good, first time in awhile I’ve had all 5 rings mounted. Thanks to everyone for your input, much appreciated👍

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

When I pulled mine out (swapped rings with someone), I used a wire wheel to easily remove the factory gunk and put anti seize on them. That was 10k miles ago and so far so good.

How do we go about educating tire shops that they don't need to remove the rings (they don't right?)
Sponsored