Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wanted to share this mod I just completed, as I had only seen it done twice before and It took a little time to dig up some photos... hopefully this thread will help others looking to do the same thing, as I am going to link the other two threads here as well so it's easier to find all material on the process & different ways to accomplish.

Thanks to @mj63 for sharing a method in this thread (I followed the same general idea, however I have the RC shackle conversion).

Another thanks to @VoltageDrop for sharing in this thread their method/photos.. utilizing an 09-20 F-150 shackle conversion.

I picked up a set of takeoffs from a local member with a Badlands to install on my OBX.

I mounted the front bash plate, taped off & marked where I would need to notch it out. I used my dremel because that's the best tool I had for the job (I went through about 10 standard cut off wheels, because I didn't feel like going to the store to get heavy duty ones). There are better tools for this, but this worked just fine for me. I then filed the edges down with a 12" hand file and smoothed with another Dremel bit. Coated the raw edges in flat black paint, by hand.

It does leave behind a gap but it's minimal and still flows with the contour of the bumper so I still think it appears finished... but the main goal here is protection. I have a 2.7 so that transmission oil cooler was just asking to kiss a rock at some point.

Lining it up
Ford Bronco OEM Steel bash plate modified to fit standard plastic bumper PXL_20230804_171012289

Cut lines. Looks a lil rough here as this is before filing it down. I ended up needing to take more off length wise after test fitting. I wanted to be conservative in how much material I removed at a time.

Ford Bronco OEM Steel bash plate modified to fit standard plastic bumper PXL_20230804_173651181

Mounted

Ford Bronco OEM Steel bash plate modified to fit standard plastic bumper PXL_20230804_192848993

This photo is taken at a lower angle than one would normally be looking at the vehicle. The gap is present but still acceptable, IMO.

Ford Bronco OEM Steel bash plate modified to fit standard plastic bumper PXL_20230805_185759993-01

I also installed the steel engine skid (no modifications needed). The OEM transfer case skid requires Ford Part# W717461-S439 "Skid Plate U-nut" (quantity 2) for the two bolts that mount to the frame rail on vehicles that did not come with one.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jrm5723

Big Bend
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Looks good, are tow hooks oem or aftermarket items?

OP
OP
Jazer

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looks good, are tow hooks oem or aftermarket items?
I have the RC conversion brackets. The first link I provided shows the same mod with the standard/plastic bumper's OEM tow loops.

mhtucker78

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looks Great, you gonna keep it black or paint it? I saw a thread where someone painted the front plate silverish to match the Raptor look.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jazer

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looks Great, you gonna keep it black or paint it? I saw a thread where someone painted the font plate silverish to match the Raptor look.
Personally, black/stock. Not trying to look like the Braptor or add any additional "flare". Just trying to protect the goods, haha.

Sponsored

mhtucker78

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@Jazer I also like your grill inserts, Have a Link? Have you noticed any adverse effects with them, wind noise, lower air flow (probably minimal if at all)?

OP
OP
Jazer

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@Jazer I also like your grill inserts, Have a Link? Have you noticed any adverse effects with them, wind noise, lower air flow (probably minimal if at all)?
Nope. Nothing. I was a little concerned about the potential for heat soak from inefficient air flow, but I've noticed nothing at all (I'd consider myself pretty vigilant with that sort of thing). Totally worth the improvement in the grill.

You can get them on Amazon or eBay (just search for Bronco grill inserts). They clip into place and are numbered based on which slot they fit into. I like them, cleans up the front a lot. I no longer have a desire to swap my grill.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wanted to share this mod I just completed, as I had only seen it done twice before and It took a little time to dig up some photos... hopefully this thread will help others looking to do the same thing, as I am going to link the other two threads here as well so it's easier to find all material on the process & different ways to accomplish.

Thanks to @mj63 for sharing a method in this thread (I followed the same general idea, however I have the RC shackle conversion).

Another thanks to @VoltageDrop for sharing in this thread their method/photos.. utilizing an 09-20 F-150 shackle conversion.

I picked up a set of takeoffs from a local member with a Badlands to install on my OBX.

I mounted the front bash plate, taped off & marked where I would need to notch it out. I used my dremel because that's the best tool I had for the job (I went through about 10 standard cut off wheels, because I didn't feel like going to the store to get heavy duty ones). There are better tools for this, but this worked just fine for me. I then filed the edges down with a 12" hand file and smoothed with another Dremel bit. Coated the raw edges in flat black paint, by hand.

It does leave behind a gap but it's minimal and still flows with the contour of the bumper so I still think it appears finished... but the main goal here is protection. I have a 2.7 so that transmission oil cooler was just asking to kiss a rock at some point.

Lining it up
Ford Bronco OEM Steel bash plate modified to fit standard plastic bumper PXL_20230805_185759993-01

Cut lines. Looks a lil rough here as this is before filing it down. I ended up needing to take more off length wise after test fitting. I wanted to be conservative in how much material I removed at a time.

Mounted

This photo is taken at a lower angle than one would normally be looking at the vehicle. The gap is present but still acceptable, IMO.

I also installed the steel engine skid (no modifications needed). The OEM transfer case skid requires Ford Part# W717461-S439 "Skid Plate U-nut" (quantity 2) for the two bolts that mount to the frame rail on vehicles that did not come with one.
So, to sum up from your mod photos: with a OBX & Plastic bumper: I could find a Ford OEM front bash plate, notch out two places to go around the front tow loops, and it would install fine, using the existing bolts for the plastic plate.

Other plates would install fine if I could find the bolts . . . The nut threads are already there, waiting?

OP
OP
Jazer

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So, to sum up from your mod photos: with a OBX & Plastic bumper: I could find a Ford OEM front bash plate, notch out two places to go around the front tow loops, and it would install fine, using the existing bolts for the plastic plate.

Other plates would install fine if I could find the bolts . . . The nut threads are already there, waiting?
Correct. Other than the transfer case skid, which as I noted/linked at the bottom of the post, you need two (2$) u-nuts to clip into the frame rail on the side in order to screw the bolts in. The front bolt holes are threaded and ready to use.

All the skid bolts are the same too. You can reuse yours on your plastic splash guard/"skid".

The sway bar disconnect skid needs two brackets that are located at the sway bar U bracket location. I'm not sure if this is a standalone extension or a replacement u bracket. I haven't sourced those yet as without SBD, this skid isn't as imperative. Id need to look at a badlands up close or if someone can confirm the bracket needed. It could also probably be fabbed up really easily. Looks like it's just a short extension bracket. The bolts at the front of the sbd skid do line up to a threaded location. It's just the two on the extension arms.

Afaik the fuel skid is a direct replacement as well, I haven't sourced one yet to install.

OP
OP
Jazer

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Recently got a better photo showing the bumper/bash plate & thought this may help people see what it looks like better than my crappy garage photo.

DSC_6395.jpg

Sponsored

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor and 2019 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Lol, just pm’d you and then found this post. So I like what you have done to add/enhance protection with the plastic bumper. Sourced a capable bumper already, but thinking mod bumper eventually and keep the OBX bumper for now. Are your shackles VB or closer to Grabber Blue like the blue in the OBX fender badging? Also what are you thinking in regards to the rear bumper? Add the other tow hook…
thanks…

Duds

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just got mine mounted up and my only concern with the gap was the tiny chance of the bumper’s lower lip pushing something like a branch down just enough to slip in and hit the intercooler. Kept a little cut out of the plastic skid to cover that one vulnerable spot.

IMG_0430.jpeg

IMG_0429.jpeg
Sponsored