First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Good morning all. I was lucky enough to find an abandoned Big Bend order a couple weeks ago with the 2.7 L, but unfortunately it did not come equipped with the Sasquatch package as I was hoping to get. Instead it has the stock open diff with 3.73 gears. How capable is the stock diff gears without lockers? I’m not the most avid off-reader but would like to get into some trails and off roading. What has everyones real world experience been with the stock diff gears? Thanks to all!
Sponsored

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.7 has plenty of torque. The only thing you will miss for moderate offroading is a little traction loss now and then. These units are very capable as yours sits. I bet it will surprise you.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm jealous my friend!!

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My Jeep Rubicon right now has 3.73 gears and I off road in it all the time. Now given I'm not trying to climb up freaking cliff side or huge boulders, but I have gone up and over, and through, many things.

So you're gear issue will be fine until you start putting larger tires 35"+

As far as open diffs, your problem is going to be traction. When all four tires have the same traction open diffs are 100% powered.
But when you get in a situation where one tire on an axle gets less traction then the other tire (mud vs rock, one tire partially lifted, etc) that is going to be where you notice it. And if both axles are affected, you're going to be up for a challenge.

To give you an example, watch videos of people in Moab. You can climb those rocks no problem without lockers because attraction is so good. But take that same vehicle to some muddy or slippery forrest trail and it may be a different story.

Honestly, the biggest hurdle with your setup is the weaker front end.

Sponsored

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My advice is to just get out there and see what it can do. Carry a tow strap and don't attempt anything too technical without having a second vehicle or two with you, in case you might need a yank. But I think you'll find out that these Broncos, even in the lower trims without all the fancy doo-dads, are really quite capable.

OP
OP

ssavell

Outer Banks
First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks everyone! Excited to see what it can do!
Sponsored