Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just asking for a friend: anyone burn a clutch off roading hilly rock trails in their 6G manual trans yet? If yes how did that end up?
Sponsored

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Haven't yet on mine and I've done a handful of rutted out mountain trails here in southern california.

4LO + Crawler, and it literally crawls at 1mph. No major need for clutch modulation. Blew my mind the first time I tried it.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Won't lie, I will be impressed if he burned that clutch out.

The gearing on the Bronco is so low—especially with the crawler gear—you can usually just let go of the clutch and it'll be perfectly fine. Even while off-road. It's almost like you have to actively try to burn the clutch up.

BUT, it he wasn't in the proper gear or he didn't shift to 4-Low... yeah... I guess I could see it happening.

OP
OP
Joshc920

Joshc920

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Won't lie, I will be impressed if he burned that clutch out.

The gearing on the Bronco is so low—especially with the crawler gear—you can usually just let go of the clutch and it'll be perfectly fine. Even while off-road. It's almost like you have to actively try to burn the clutch up.

BUT, it he wasn't in the proper gear or he didn't shift to 4-Low... yeah... I guess I could see it happening.
so crawler gear and giving it gas in 4 high could maybe burn it?

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

so crawler gear and giving it gas in 4 high could maybe burn it?
If you are sitting there giving it gas while riding the clutch (regardless of gear)... then yeah... you can burn it up for sure. That's how you burn up clutches.

But if you use the gearing available in the transfer case by switching it to 4-Low... then you shouldn't have to ride the clutch. I can literally walk faster than the Bronco moves when in Crawler & 4-Low.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

amazingjason

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Samurai, 1966 442
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don’t have my Bronco yet, but I did have some trouble recently in my wife’s manual VW Sportwagen.

I had to come to a full stop on an extremely steep paved street in Virginia City NV. I tried three times to get going but stalled without making any forward progress each time, even with high revs and clutch slipping. I had to back down in shame.

Thangs that made it impossible:
The small, low compression turbo engine
Tall first gear
Altitude
Weight of 4 passengers and stuff in the back
I later suspected that I might have been able to do it without traction control. A little bit of wheel spin would have been better than clamping the brakes.

I imagine that the crawl gear in the Bronco would make it easy.

Jason

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hopefully it doesn't turn out like this...

giphy.gif
Haha.

Alright I won't lie...

I'm working on a YouTube video review of my Bronco. (It rolled down the assembly line one year as of yesterday, so doing a 1 year review.) Part of that review was talking about the manual transmission gearing... and to demonstrate the gearing I hopped out and walked next to the Bronco.

EXCEPT... I did so on a slight downhill and the Bronco slowly started accelerating down that hill. Luckily I realized it and managed pull the parking break. But the sheer look of panic on my face when I realized what was happening had my 9-year old daughter cracking up when she watched the video.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t have my Bronco yet, but I did have some trouble recently in my wife’s manual VW Sportwagen.

I had to come to a full stop on an extremely steep paved street in Virginia City NV. I tried three times to get going but stalled without making any forward progress each time, even with high revs and clutch slipping. I had to back down in shame.

Thangs that made it impossible:
The small, low compression turbo engine
Tall first gear
Altitude
Weight of 4 passengers and stuff in the back
I later suspected that I might have been able to do it without traction control. A little bit of wheel spin would have been better than clamping the brakes.

I imagine that the crawl gear in the Bronco would make it easy.

Jason
wasn't VW's version of the hill-holder working on the sportwagen?

more than likely, the clutch is worn enough to require replacement

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just had an incident where I should have been in 4L and definitely smelled some clutch burn. I wasn’t able to get out of 4H in time and had to do what I had to do. It’s shifting fine and I got out of the rut I was in…but, hoping there’s no lasting damage. Similar happened on my steep driveway once. I was in 2H and should have been in 4H. Got me right up once I switched. But, that was the first time I smelled it…I probably should avoid these instances 😆

carrellslake

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When the Off Roadeo first started they had manual Broncos as an option. Guess why those were all taken away…

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

people neglecting to engage 4L as instructed?

Last edited:

amazingjason

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Samurai, 1966 442
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
wasn't VW's version of the hill-holder working on the sportwagen?

more than likely, the clutch is worn enough to require replacement
Yes, the hill holder works. It didn’t roll back but stalled before making forward progress.

It has 50,000 mostly highway miles and the clutch seems fine, otherwise.

Jason

OP
OP
Joshc920

Joshc920

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just had an incident where I should have been in 4L and definitely smelled some clutch burn. I wasn’t able to get out of 4H in time and had to do what I had to do. It’s shifting fine and I got out of the rut I was in…but, hoping there’s no lasting damage. Similar happened on my steep driveway once. I was in 2H and should have been in 4H. Got me right up once I switched. But, that was the first time I smelled it…I probably should avoid these instances 😆
Commenting for a friend… it’s a VERY bad smell. It’s also shifting fine but really keeps you wondering about to longevity of it
Sponsored