First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a 22 Big Bend Manual with a lift on 35's for background. I was driving home today and saw an older F-350 dually on the side of the road axel deep in sand ( i live in a more rural area of FL.) It looked almost as if he was trying to make his own trail and got stuck so I pulled over to see if I could help. I find out he was ran off the road and he crashed into a chainlink fence and was wedged against a electric pole. I was able to get him out luckily but completely burnt my clutch up I am assuming because now I have barely enough meat left to shift and it grab the gear. Does anyone know of aftermarket clutches yet or the pricing of OEM clutches? I have not been able to find any and If I am going to have to replace it anyways I figured might as well explore my options. It sucks because I was trying to do the right thing by helping but it looks like I just put myself in a bind.
Sponsored

Nateandapril

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands non Sas Area 51
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 22 Big Bend Manual with a lift on 35's for background. I was driving home today and saw an older F-350 dually on the side of the road axel deep in sand ( i live in a more rural area of FL.) It looked almost as if he was trying to make his own trail and got stuck so I pulled over to see if I could help. I find out he was ran off the road and he crashed into a chainlink fence and was wedged against a electric pole. I was able to get him out luckily but completely burnt my clutch up I am assuming because now I have barely enough meat left to shift and it grab the gear. Does anyone know of aftermarket clutches yet or the pricing of OEM clutches? I have not been able to find any and If I am going to have to replace it anyways I figured might as well explore my options. It sucks because I was trying to do the right thing by helping but it looks like I just put myself in a bind.
Ouch, man that sucks.

OP
OP
skap407

skap407

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ouch, man that sucks.
It is what it is Im glad I was able to help the guy cause he was in a bad spot and the Bronco is a freaking tank. I wish it wouldnt have ate my whole clutch but you live and learn

TX-Hans

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Escalade, '13 Jeep Wrangler, '21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
You might reach out to 4wheelparts.com They apparently have some special factory relationship with Ford on the Broncos. It's a bit of a long shot but perhaps they might know the answer or at least might be able to find out from Ford.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the Broncbuster guy has done clutch testing and was working on a HD aftermarket one. You could look into that.

Sponsored

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No good deed goes unpunished, I would have done the same thing.
As far as I know ford might be the only option ,check with dealer Monday am and good luck to ya.

P.s. what part of fl?

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a feeling the clutches in these things are very fragile.
They burnt the Off-rodeo Broncos up in short order.
The claim was too many people not knowing how to drive them properly.
I'm not buying that excuse due to this story and my own gut feeling on the clutch in my Base.

Curious, did you use low transfer or at least the "crawler" gear while doing this?

I noticed the 35's make the 4.46's feel a bit too tall, which would force you to slip the clutch too much.

Bronccoli

Big Bend
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Outlander
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Have you looked into bleeding the clutch? I find it pretty hard to believe you burnt a brand new 2022 clutch in once instance. Did it smell like burning clutch when you were pulling it out? Hoping you get some good karma from pulling the 350 out

OP
OP
skap407

skap407

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You might reach out to 4wheelparts.com They apparently have some special factory relationship with Ford on the Broncos. It's a bit of a long shot but perhaps they might know the answer or at least might be able to find out from Ford.
This is a good idea they actually did my lift

Sponsored
OP
OP
skap407

skap407

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Have you looked into bleeding the clutch? I find it pretty hard to believe you burnt a brand new 2022 clutch in once instance. Did it smell like burning clutch when you were pulling it out? Hoping you get some good karma from pulling the 350 out
I might look into this. The pedal is very tough to push in now and it feels like its barely grabbing the gear thats the only reason I was thinking clutch.

OP
OP
skap407

skap407

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a feeling the clutches in these things are very fragile.
They burnt the Off-rodeo Broncos up in short order.
The claim was too many people not knowing how to drive them properly.
I'm not buying that excuse due to this story and my own gut feeling on the clutch in my Base.

Curious, did you use low transfer or at least the "crawler" gear while doing this?

I noticed the 35's make the 4.46's feel a bit too tall, which would force you to slip the clutch too much.
So I will vouch a little for the clutch I have done some wheeling and I've been a huge fan of it. But I think after today I might agree it almost in a sense feels a little too soft for how much torque there is. And im not new to manual either so I know it wasnt from prior use it was exclusively from this time. I did make a mistake and I had it in 4H and thats when it happened but I switched to 4L and crawler and he came right out but the damage was done. Sorry for long response lol

OP
OP
skap407

skap407

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
No good deed goes unpunished, I would have done the same thing.
As far as I know ford might be the only option ,check with dealer Monday am and good luck to ya.

P.s. what part of fl?
Yea I work at a ford store so I am hoping it wont be too much damage. It did feel good to finally help somebody out . This was very close to Groveland coming from Astatula

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you burned up the clutch, you did something wrong. If you were doing everything right, and not abusing the clutch (flywheel and/or pressure plate will be completely burned up if you were abusing it) then it would be a warranty. Otherwise, it would be your dime, possibly insurance would cover it?

It is perfectly reasonable to believe a clutch disk could be bad. Or there could be a dimensional issue in the pressure plate of the flywheel causing clamping force to be too low. But generally, the last two would be noticed in daily driving, particularly if accelerating up an entrance ramp or trying to pass someone.

OP
OP
skap407

skap407

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Actually pretty impressive that you tugged that f350 with a 4cyl. Sorry about your clutch.
Yea I was so impressed because I thought forsure with how stuck he was that I wasnt going to do anything but I at least wanted to try and if not then post on FL SOS page to get help.
Sponsored