First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I learned this lesson in my JK: as much as you want to be a good samaritan, sometimes it is better to standby and help the person get help.

I my case the problem was a stuck F150. A ditch wall at the edge of a parking lot had given way, and the F150s front end slid over / was high centered.

Even in 4 Low and 1st all we managed to do is get the F150 more stuck and fling a lot of gravel around. That one took two diesel full sized pickups with 4” tow straps hooked to front suspension and frame, and honestly an insured professional tow company would have been the best choice. Fortunately for me the gravel probably limited drivetrain damage.

Anyway my lesson learned there was law of gross tonnage. (I mean maybe a Bronco with more torque and a lower crawl ratio could have done it, but given what it ultimately took, I don’t think so.)

Also, in hindsight, what happens if either vehicle gets damaged?

Made me think: Next time my risk vs reward calculus will be different. Of course on the trail adds a different viewpoint to consider.

Anyway, good on you OP for helping. I hope you are able to fix your problem for much less than a clutch swap.
Yes After this incident I will definitely re evaluate in the future how I go about recoveries. the past month driving home I have seen about 4 people stuck in different spots and everytime I pass by I feel so bad that I cant help due to lack of recovery gear. So this time I decided to see if he had anything and he had a ratchet strap so I said F it and sent it
Sponsored

OP
OP
skap407

skap407

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was wondering where Ford draws the line for this. Also, Ford is watching this forum and now is keeping their eye out for a clutch warranty claim in Fl to deny. :p
LOL I work at a Ford store and Ill take the L on this one for the warranty claim

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sorry definitely a miscommunication. i drove it into work and can describe it better now. The pedal itself is very tough to push in now, it feels like a car thats 10 years old that has been beat up. It shifts into gears just fine but I noticed the catch point when from me pushing the pedal down really far to now its almost as soon as I touch the pedal. As far as the grabbing gears comment I meant more the catch point it feels like it is barely holding on when i release the pedal. When I accelarate harder It seems like its almost slipping slighlty because the rpms will just shoot up as if I pressed in the pedal. hopefully this clears up my previous statements.
Okay, first, don't accelerate to cause the rpm to go up without similar vehicle movement. that is slipping the clutch and it sounds like you have very little clutch surface left. This is what has moved the engagement point further because of being near the adjustment range of the system.

I suggest going to the dealer for the work, or a qualified driveline facility. Ford will use ford parts. The more it slips, the more likely you will be to get stranded somewhere.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes After this incident I will definitely re evaluate in the future how I go about recoveries. the past month driving home I have seen about 4 people stuck in different spots and everytime I pass by I feel so bad that I cant help due to lack of recovery gear. So this time I decided to see if he had anything and he had a ratchet strap so I said F it and sent it
I've yanked quite a few people with a stick shift so I wouldn't have thought twice about using the Bronco either. I guess this is ammo towards getting a winch.

OP
OP
skap407

skap407

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Okay, first, don't accelerate to cause the rpm to go up without similar vehicle movement. that is slipping the clutch and it sounds like you have very little clutch surface left. This is what has moved the engagement point further because of being near the adjustment range of the system.

I suggest going to the dealer for the work, or a qualified driveline facility. Ford will use ford parts. The more it slips, the more likely you will be to get stranded somewhere.
Ok thanks for the advice, I scheduled my appoinment closest time was may 11th fml. Do you think I should just park it until then?

Sponsored
OP
OP
skap407

skap407

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've yanked quite a few people with a stick shift so I wouldn't have thought twice about using the Bronco either. I guess this is ammo towards getting a winch.
Yea a winch is definitely on the list especially for the wheeling we do around my area its super swampy. I honestly like helping people because ive been stuck really bad and people helped me so I like to reciprocate

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
While the clutches could very well interchange, the transmission is not from the Mustang. Same maker but different design.
I could have been more clear. It's a derivative design with the same mechanical housing, and interface points. Also uses the same bell housing.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
A quick note as I saw a reply about using straps. Straps work good for pulling someone out of some mud when you are on solid ground and can just lean into it and pull them out.
When you are on loose soil, and they are stuck, and they are bigger than you, you got to have a kinetic rope. Straps transfer energy. Kinetic ropes capture and release energy allowing for a stronger YANK on the stuck vehicle than you can get with a strap.
Ok thanks for the advice, I scheduled my appoinment closest time was may 11th fml. Do you think I should just park it until then?
If you can't actively prevent the clutch from slipping, then I would park it as heating the clutch up from slipping can damage the pressure plate and/or flywheel. My sense is those parts are already damaged so you won't be able to get away with just a clutch disk replacement. And my guess is ford will replace the clutch disk and pressure plate as a single unit.

OP
OP
skap407

skap407

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
A quick note as I saw a reply about using straps. Straps work good for pulling someone out of some mud when you are on solid ground and can just lean into it and pull them out.
When you are on loose soil, and they are stuck, and they are bigger than you, you got to have a kinetic rope. Straps transfer energy. Kinetic ropes capture and release energy allowing for a stronger YANK on the stuck vehicle than you can get with a strap.

If you can't actively prevent the clutch from slipping, then I would park it as heating the clutch up from slipping can damage the pressure plate and/or flywheel. My sense is those parts are already damaged so you won't be able to get away with just a clutch disk replacement. And my guess is ford will replace the clutch disk and pressure plate as a single unit.
Ok so ill pay attention to the drive home to see if it is still slipping under normal drive. And yes if I personally do not have any recovery gear he just happened to have the strap on him

Kirk59

Badlands
First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
South bend and bronc buster is bringing an aftermarket clutch to market, here is a picture of the stage 1 clutch that we tested, right now broncbuster has a stage 3 clutch in it. Very soon they will be available to purchase!
Thanks Ill check him out and see
51520A74-D060-40FD-876F-5AF13319C65A.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
skap407

skap407

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
South bend and bronc buster is bringing an aftermarket clutch to market, here is a picture of the stage 1 clutch that we tested, right now broncbuster has a stage 3 clutch in it. Very soon they will be available to purchase!

Ford Bronco Clutch Replacements? 51520A74-D060-40FD-876F-5AF13319C65A
glad to know. not sure if i'll be able to wait but definitely will upgrade when they come out

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Ford Bronco Clutch Replacements? 51520A74-D060-40FD-876F-5AF13319C65A
How are the tests going?
Sponsored