Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I’ve never been a “change the oil myself” guy, but this may change with the 2.7 Bronco. Reports so far are that you have to let that baby drain for 30-45 minutes, and still only see 6/7qts that are supposedly in there drain out, most of which at a snail’s pace after the initial spurt.

I have serious reservations that either the dealership or quick lube type places are going to leave a car draining for that long under normal circumstances, taking up precious space to get the next customer’s vehicle in and out…

Maybe a locally owned, non-chain shop will do…
Does it take that long to drain if the motor is hot? Most people who do it themselves do it cold. What about other vehicles that have the same 2.7? Hmm....something to check out.
Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Changed the oil in my 2.3 BL (1300 miles) this afternoon and it took 10-15 min. I have always changing own oil and on my F150 I can do the oil and 4 tire rotation in less than 30min (my truck but work pays for oil changes and I still do it myself). Just like knowing it was done right.

On the 2.3 you can reach the oil filter from the back of the tire while laying on a creeper. The only problem is the drain chute also points towards the rear of the tire. So, best to crack it loose, give it a spin and scoot out of the way to let it drain into a pan. Other than it is an easy job.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What's wrong with just pulling the plug?

I'm going to be a wise ass here, so forewarned. Your time must not be worth much. By the time you buy the oil and filter, drain the oil, replace the filter, contain the old oil and drive it to the parts house to dispose of it, then stash your receipt for the oil and filter in a safe place so you have proof that the oil was changed to protect your factory warranty, you could have just paid 75 bucks and had someone else do it. Unless you REALLY like doing this kind of stuff yourself, it seems to make no sense to me.
It's not about the value of time, it's about making sure it's done right. I've let so called professionals touch a car of mine exactly 3 times in my life, and 2 of those they fucked something up, including 1 oil change where they stripped the drain plug and refused to fix it.

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I'm going to be a wise ass here, so forewarned. Your time must not be worth much. By the time you buy the oil and filter, drain the oil, replace the filter, contain the old oil and drive it to the parts house to dispose of it, then stash your receipt for the oil and filter in a safe place so you have proof that the oil was changed to protect your factory warranty, you could have just paid 75 bucks and had someone else do it. Unless you REALLY like doing this kind of stuff yourself, it seems to make no sense to me.
How much does a dicked-up, cross threaded, lose, fallen out oil drain plug, spun bearing, engine replacement cost? I know people who worked at a qwiky lube place, I wouldn't trust them with a sandwich, less my $50k trail rig... Your mileage may vary.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

How much does a dicked-up, cross threaded, lose, fallen out oil drain plug, spun bearing, engine replacement cost? I know people who worked at a qwiky lube place, I wouldn't trust them with a sandwich, less my $50k trail rig... Your mileage may vary.
I get that. No where have I said go to a qwiky lube. Hey, if you gotta do it yourself, go for it.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Their is 0 value in changing oil in a modern engine at 1000 miles. Like the 3000 mile oil change another myth. Modern engines have significantly higher tolerances and much tighter assembly process hence the ability to warranty longer than engines of the past. Before computers and lasers older motors had varying tolerances and material grades and canes from the factory with additives put in the oil that required the oil and filter to be changed out. If there was potential for damage at 1000 miles you can bet the house a company like Ford would mandate an oil change. To give you a little content, Honda still recommends changing the diff fluid on their 4wd system that is in the pilot and MDX at around 10k so the tech can check the west patterns on the gears set and inspect the oil for shavings. There are no other cars I can think of having the fluid changed and heckled that early.
∆ This ∆

one800higgins

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
∆ This ∆
Yup, I just follow the service schedules from the manufacturers. Bronco doesn’t suggest anything until 10K miles.

OP
OP
Portapot

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
1) I was raised by a man who taught me to take care of my own shit
2) I acknowledged in the video I probably don’t need to change the oil at 1000 miles but I wanted to any way
3)jiffy lube left the oil plug out of my fathers new Jaguar xke back in the early 70’s, he taught me not to trust minimum wage mechanics on things I care about
4) I was just trying to help folks out that may also prefer to change their oil
5) I don’t really care about other peoples opinions
6) it’s quicker, easier, less aggravating and gives me peace of mind doing it myself
7) see point 1

thanks

ky.longshot

Badlands
First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm with you OP. If I could trust a shop to complete a pro oil change and inspection on my vehicle without any issue of shortcuts , misuse ( damage or shortcuts in completion of service ) to the service of my vehicle , the dealer , or any other oil change shop would be worth the $ .

Sponsored

ab_slack

Black Diamond
First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Explorer and 87 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I knowingly pay more to do it myself because I've gotten burnt by shops multiple times. I know I put the correct grade oil in, I know I put a good filter on, I know I don't put filter on so tight it won't come off, I know I am not damaging threads on the drain plug.

I also don't have to deal with the shop poking at other things. I can check myself. I've had shops damage my drain plug causing leaks (and resulting in failed engine), put undersized filters on, take wheels off to inspect brakes and then over torque the lug nuts to point I couldn't get them off.

Yes I have to go to the store to get the materials, and yes periodically bring the waste to recycling center, but this is still less time than trying to get it into the shop and waiting. If I go to the dealer it is even longer and I've found the dealer making errors. The oil changes are often given to the least experienced in the shops.

I've done it so much I can change the oil on my explorer in 30 minutes including setup and cleanup.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
1) I was raised by a man who taught me to take care of my own shit
2) I acknowledged in the video I probably don’t need to change the oil at 1000 miles but I wanted to any way
3)jiffy lube left the oil plug out of my fathers new Jaguar xke back in the early 70’s, he taught me not to trust minimum wage mechanics on things I care about
4) I was just trying to help folks out that may also prefer to change their oil
5) I don’t really care about other peoples opinions
6) it’s quicker, easier, less aggravating and gives me peace of mind doing it myself
7) see point 1

thanks
Agree 100% with taking care of your own stuff philosophy. However, a lot of people just don't do mechanical activities and pay professionals to do it for them. Nothing wrong with that.

Delving into Jiffy Lube is a different discussion related to the philosophy of the level of professionalism once chooses to use for periodic maintenance.

Hopefully B6G will not fall victim to "oil threads" that are notorious on other car forums. Hopefully. ;)

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You guys have changed oil before in vehicles I'm guessing? There is a difference in capacity from an oil change to the dry-build capacity. I mean, the filter is gonna hold some, the oil gallies have a check valve to prevent oil from back draining down to the pan (to prevent dry start-ups) and obviously, some oil is gonna cling to every square millimetre of the interior surfaces....
🤷🏻

OP
OP
Portapot

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Agree 100% with taking care of your own stuff philosophy. However, a lot of people just don't do mechanical activities and pay professionals to do it for them. Nothing wrong with that.

Delving into Jiffy Lube is a different discussion related to the philosophy of the level of professionalism once chooses to use for periodic maintenance.

Hopefully B6G will not fall victim to "oil threads" that are notorious on other car forums. Hopefully. ;)
Agreed...I don't care what other people do. To each his/her own. I was just trying to share my experience in the event others could learn from it....I'm sure there are better ways to do it as some suggested turning or removing the wheel. My intent solely was to provide experience related to a 2.3L oil change. That's all. When I was younger and did not have a garage I had to pay guys to change my oil, I get it, and sometimes I ask myself why I just don't pay someone. Kind of like cutting my grass, but I get satisfaction out of maintaining some of my own stuff. Some things are over my head.

Go_Galt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree it's absolutely not worth most people's time to do their own oil changes (disposal alone is a PITA).

The only reason I do it myself is to prevent idiocy like torqueing a drain plug to 140 ft lbs, rounding the plug, ruining a pan by cross-threading, starting the vehicle without oil, etc.

The level of trust I have in other people is very low.
Sponsored