First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Replacing with an OEM plug is getting wasteful and obnoxious. Anyone mount a Fumoto yet? I’m leaning towards the short nipple to alleviate any issues with the skid plate contacting the valve from any flex from a rock or otherwise. I need to double check the clearance. This may be a non-issue.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Raptor911

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You don't have to replace the drain bolt. That is just crazy talk.

My 2016 RS had the 2.3 and I ran the Fumoto. So, if I had the 2.3 Bronco, I would def run a Fumoto. Below is my 2.3 with the Fumoto

Ford Bronco Excellent 2.3L Bronco Oil Change Video 1676560385429

Replacing with an OEM plug is getting wasteful and obnoxious. Anyone mount a Fumoto yet? I’m leaning towards the short nipple to alleviate any issues with the skid plate contacting the valve from any flex from a rock or otherwise. I need to double check the clearance. This may be a non-issue.

UM_Ftown

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 01 XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I did mine over the weekend and thought it was pretty easy. Drained the oil filter first and swapped in a new one. Went through the wheel well with a socket and extension.

Cleaned that up and moved the oil pan over to the drain plug and drained the pan.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I did mine over the weekend and thought it was pretty easy. Drained the oil filter first and swapped in a new one. Went through the wheel well with a socket and extension.

Cleaned that up and moved the oil pan over to the drain plug and drained the pan.
You’re supposed to do the pan first then filter. I also leave it open and find another 8 oz or more comes out of the pan after the filter is removed. Then I plug, then filter. Fill. Then cold crank.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You don't have to replace the drain bolt. That is just crazy talk.
I found it weird that IAG included a plug for every kit. I usually change out the plug every 2-3 oil changes.

Sponsored

UM_Ftown

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 01 XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You’re supposed to do the pan first then filter. I also leave it open and find another 8 oz or more comes out of the pan after the filter is removed. Then I plug, then filter. Fill. Then cold crank.
The filter is above the oil pan so why would you have to do the oil pan first? Any oil that may be trapped because of the bypass / pressure of the oil filter should drain into the oil pan once you twist it off. Then it all comes out when you pull the drain plug.

Mine is not overfilled but I could test this next time by changing the oil filter first again, then drain the oil from the pan. Then twist the oil filter loose to see if more oil drains out. I have a feeling it will be none because of what I stated above.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The filter is above the oil pan so why would you have to do the oil pan first? Any oil that may be trapped because of the bypass / pressure of the oil filter should drain into the oil pan once you twist it off. Then it all comes out when you pull the drain plug.

Mine is not overfilled but I could test this next time by changing the oil filter first again, then drain the oil from the pan. Then twist the oil filter loose to see if more oil drains out. I have a feeling it will be none because of what I stated above.
Good Q and honestly, solid observation. I just followed the IAG video. Turns out the service manual says to take out plug first. Drain then reinstall it. Then take off filter. So…go figured.

Does more oil come pouring out of filter outlet when done first? I only get about 8oz.

Ford Bronco Excellent 2.3L Bronco Oil Change Video B732A88C-EC2E-42F7-AFA2-FDE497EED7DD

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BD 2dr 7MT CG, '18 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm planning on buying the F137N, no one has had issues with the long nipple?

I can barely see the oil filter and I don't want to take everything apart just to get a look at the drain plug.

OP
OP
Raptor911

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I would do this one as you can clock it to whatever position is needed >> https://www.fumotousa.com/f107sx.html

I'm planning on buying the F137N, no one has had issues with the long nipple?

I can barely see the oil filter and I don't want to take everything apart just to get a look at the drain plug.

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just watched an oil change video and it looks like it's pointing about 5 o'clock and it's definitely not recessed.

Sponsored

UM_Ftown

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 01 XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Good Q and honestly, solid observation. I just followed the IAG video. Turns out the service manual says to take out plug first. Drain then reinstall it. Then take off filter. So…go figured.

Does more oil come pouring out of filter outlet when done first? I only get about 8oz.

Ford Bronco Excellent 2.3L Bronco Oil Change Video B732A88C-EC2E-42F7-AFA2-FDE497EED7DD
Yeah that’s interesting in the manual. I mean if I had an industrial size oil catch container I’d just do both at the same time but since they’re so far apart we have to pick and choose haha.

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The F137N does NOT fit. Looks like it requires the special one for recessed pans.

BigShasta

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands LUX, Squatch, Hard top, Mod Bumper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ok am I the only nerd that wants to know what make and model torque wrench that is :p
The kind that inevitably has dead/leaking batteries for the average backyard mechanic who wouldn't use it very often....get a click type.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Good video. First I've heard of the "Flat Foot Crank" feature, pretty cool.
Ford has used that for years to cut fuel to the injectors. Started using that during oil changes on the ‘04 F150 years ago. 👍🏻

Langwilliams

Big Bend
First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco big bend, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The F137N does NOT fit. Looks like it requires the special one for recessed pans.
I had one on my 2019 ranger an it required their "long adapter". I removed it from my ranger an may install it on the bronco if I start doing my own oil changes. I used the one with the long nipple so I could put a rubber hose on it an tuck it up on the skid plate so I could just pull it out an flip the valve open an not have to remove the skid plate for an oil change. I haven't looked at where the drain valley is for the oil filter, if it comes out on the skid plate or not.

https://help.fumotousa.com/en-us/Kn...I_need_to_use_an_adapter_with_my_Fumoto_valve
Sponsored