Sponsored

Oil temp gauge not water temp up to 234 degrees?

One more upgrade

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe Mogush
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Tesla Plaid X 22 Escalade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So what does your Ford Dealer think of your “oil cooler”. Do they replace that filter?
I was charged extra for the filter one time, other than that, not much. I have had a conversation with several truck owners who tow and run trans and oil coolers.
Sponsored

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I take it the motor trend article popped up for you? I guess I’m alittle old school I forget these full synthetic oils with stand higher heat ranges.. OP you should be good with those oil temps.. disregard my statements
Cheers to old school ….

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It’s completely normal for oil temperatures to be higher than coolant.

230-260 is normal operating oil temperature for most vehicles.
>250°F for extended times is not optimum or desired especially in a twin turbocharged engine.

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yes, that’s called burning up your bearings. Hotter oil can’t remove the heat from those fast little turbo bearings..

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

>250°F for extended times is not optimum or desired especially in a twin turbocharged engine.
Optimal would be lower than 250 obvious, but 250 isn’t going to hurt anything.

Yes, that’s called burning up your bearings. Hotter oil can’t remove the heat from those fast little turbo bearings..
lol well it’s a good thing they don’t just rely on oil for cooling, considering they’re liquid cooled

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Optimal would be lower than 250 obvious, but 250 isn’t going to hurt anything.
>250°F for extended periods is a problem.

Oil life is cut in half for every 18°F sustained rise in temperature. When you add in viscosity reduction due to fuel dilution such as that exhibited in the 2.7L, you can quickly have an oil that is too thin to protect the engine especially at high temperatures or high loads.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

>250°F for extended periods is a problem.

Oil life is cut in half for every 18°F sustained rise in temperature. When you add in viscosity reduction due to fuel dilution such as that exhibited in the 2.7L, you can quickly have an oil that is too thin to protect the engine especially at high temperatures or high loads.
Define “extended period of time”

We can go back and forth about this all day, but just like I originally posted, 230-260 is a normal operating temperature specification. This is generally the ideal range that it should stay between.

The 2.7 exhibits relatively the same fuel dilution as any other Ford engine (if anything it’s better in the Broncos gen 2 2.7 since it has port injection) so this really isn’t much of an issue with oil temperatures up to operating temperature.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Define “extended period of time”

We can go back and forth about this all day, but just like I originally posted, 230-260 is a normal operating temperature specification. This is generally the ideal range that it should stay between.

The 2.7 exhibits relatively the same fuel dilution as any other Ford engine (if anything it’s better in the Broncos gen 2 2.7 since it has port injection) so this really isn’t much of an issue with oil temperatures up to operating temperature.
Have you performed any UOAs? The 5W-30 factory fill in my 2.7L was a 20 grade viscosity in 1,000 miles and those miles were 100% highway when dilution is the least. Once viscosity is reduced wear is increased especially if high temperatures or loads are happening.

Fuel dilution in that first 1,000 miles was 2.5% and had I also had oil temperatures of greater than 250°F the problem would have been compounded. My definition of extended is for several hours. The occasional spike in temperature is not an issue, but if you oil temperatures rising above 250 for long periods, you have an issue that should be addressed. No vehicle I have owned has seen those temps including trucks towing heavy in the desert heat.

So, I respectfully agree to disagree that fuel dilution is not an issue as is oil temperatures >250°F.

Last edited:

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor and 2019 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Snip…snip…
Third, a heavier oil.. If you don’t have lower outdoor temperatures start running something synthetic and in higher range.. 10w40 range. Or greater..
Not meaning to highjack this thread, but, have been wondering this very thing for awhile now. Switching from the 5w-30 to a 10w-40 or even 10w-50 full syn oil. I’d much rather give up a bit of fuel mileage to better protect my engine. Wondering just how much more protection you’d get using a Mobil 1, 10w-40 (full syn) vs 5w-30 full syn? Lots of opinions on this I’m sure, but anyone have any factual evidence with this? TIA!

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Not meaning to highjack this thread, but, have been wondering this very thing for awhile now. Switching from the 5w-30 to a 10w-40 or even 10w-50 full syn oil. I’d much rather give up a bit of fuel mileage to better protect my engine. Wondering just how much more protection you’d get using a Mobil 1, 10w-40 (full syn) vs 5w-30 full syn? Lots of opinions on this I’m sure, but anyone have any factual evidence with this? TIA!
Mobile One has a great track record .. switching to Mobile one 10 W 40 in the hottest part of the year can not hurt anything.. Now, is the more moderate seasons Mobile Mobil One is a great oil in 5W30 ( the recommended blend) .. it about the added protection when it get HOT.. Mucle cars are the same animal.. If they run hot it’s 10W40 and these engines, many of them, are 70 years old.. 🤓

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Have you performed any UOAs? The 5W-30 factory fill in my 2.7L was a 20 grade viscosity in 1,000 miles and those miles were 100% highway when dilution is the least. Once viscosity is reduced wear is increased especially if high temperatures or loads are happening.

Fuel dilution in that first 1,000 miles was 2.5% and had I also had oil temperatures of greater than 250°F the problem would have been compounded. My definition of extended is for several hours. The occasional spike in temperature is not an issue, but if you oil temperatures rising above 250 for long periods, you have an issue that should be addressed. No vehicle I have owned has seen those temps including trucks towing heavy in the desert heat.

So, I respectfully disagree to disagree that fuel dilution is not an issue as is oil temperatures >250°F.
Never had a UOA done, don’t see the point. Too many unknowns to even make a reasonable conclusion of the numbers in my opinion.
After all, it was one single test after a short amount of miles. Why was your viscosity so low already with only 1000 miles? Was it because of the 2.5% fuel dilution? Why did you have 2.5% dilution at 1000 miles already? Maybe if your oil temperatures actually reached correct operating temperature, you wouldn’t have 2.5% dilution in 1000 miles 🤔

But that’s fine, we can agree to disagree then because I really don’t care enough about oil to argue.

I’ll stick with what Ford and other manufacturers specify as far as operating oil temperatures, because after all, they know far more than me. Oil analysis is above my pay grade.

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am with @CarbonSteel the test of your oil does tell you a lot especially if you repeat it regularly..
That said, the fuel dilution in the first 1000 to 1500 miles happens because the piston rings are settling in.. The 2.7 L is 10:1 ratio with turbo, there is great pressure on those rings and some fuel and a lot of exhaust gases are making they way through.. The rings start fitting well, but the compression ratio and the psi from turbo still blow by when you really push that engine.. Or, when the engine gets HOT things expand and more stuff gets by those rings.. That stuff now circulates through your engine in oil, the oil that is now diluted and not as effective.. Oil analysis is well worth the collection and the analysis.. 🤓

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am with @CarbonSteel the test of your oil does tell you a lot especially if you repeat it regularly..
That said, the fuel dilution in the first 1000 to 1500 miles happens because the piston rings are settling in.. The 2.7 L is 10:1 ratio with turbo, there is great pressure on those rings and some fuel and a lot of exhaust gases are making they way through.. The rings start fitting well, but the compression ratio and the psi from turbo still blow by when you really push that engine.. Or, when the engine gets HOT things expand and more stuff gets by those rings.. That stuff now circulates through your engine in oil, the oil that is now diluted and not as effective.. Oil analysis is well worth the collection and the analysis.. 🤓
That would explain it, back in the day maybe. Modern rings are already completely seated in like 20 miles or just one heat cycle. So I personally still don’t see that explaining high fuel dilution.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Never had a UOA done, don’t see the point. Too many unknowns to even make a reasonable conclusion of the numbers in my opinion.
After all, it was one single test after a short amount of miles. Why was your viscosity so low already with only 1000 miles? Was it because of the 2.5% fuel dilution? Why did you have 2.5% dilution at 1000 miles already? Maybe if your oil temperatures actually reached correct operating temperature, you wouldn’t have 2.5% dilution in 1000 miles 🤔

But that’s fine, we can agree to disagree then because I really don’t care enough about oil to argue.

I’ll stick with what Ford and other manufacturers specify as far as operating oil temperatures, because after all, they know far more than me. Oil analysis is above my pay grade.
I am answering this not to continue to banter, but more for those who may stumble on this thread want a better understanding. I agree with you that it is totally ok to follow Ford's recommendation(s), though I would love to see where they say >250°F oil temperatures are normal.

For your questions:

Why was your viscosity so low already with only 1000 miles? Good question and it could be the oil type, it could be the engine break-in that was happening, maybe it was filled with the wrong oil from the factory, and we may never the root cause. With that said, it DID happen and without testing the oil I would have never known. Had I done what nearly everyone else does, I would have left the oil in the engine until the iOLM said to change it thereby stacking 5,000 miles or so on oil that does not meet the minimum viscosity requirements thereby increasing wear during the beginning of the engine's life.

Was it because of the 2.5% fuel dilution? Why did you have 2.5% dilution at 1000 miles already? Another great question. Likely due to the rings not being fully seated, but all DI engines have fuel dilution and the 2.7L is no different even with the introduction of MPI for low-speed use. Again, this was 1,000 highway miles where dilution should be the least. Had I not tested the oil, I would have never known.

Maybe if your oil temperatures actually reached correct operating temperature, you wouldn’t have 2.5% dilution in 1000 miles. How could it not have reached correct operating temperature? It was a road trip from the dealership in Dallas where I bought it to Cheyenne, WY and back to Colorado Springs. It was definitely at operating temperature (though I never saw any temperature above 220°F) for hours without stopping.

Not to argue, but sustained oil temperatures of 250°F or higher are not normal. Temperatures can spike that high under a load, but they will almost always drop down very quickly when the load or condition that caused it is removed. If an engine is frequently running oil temperatures at 250°F or higher, then there is a mechanical problem that should be investigated and resolved.

In all of the vehicles I have owned in my life and it has been dozens, I have never owned one that had oil temperatures even come close to 250°F for any length of time. Perhaps I have been lucky enough to own the unicorn of each model. Who knows...

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am answering this not to continue to banter, but more for those who may stumble on this thread want a better understanding. I agree with you that it is totally ok to follow Ford's recommendation(s), though I would love to see where they say >250°F oil temperatures are normal.

For your questions:

Why was your viscosity so low already with only 1000 miles? Good question and it could be the oil type, it could be the engine break-in that was happening, maybe it was filled with the wrong oil from the factory, and we may never the root cause. With that said, it DID happen and without testing the oil I would have never known. Had I done what nearly everyone else does, I would have left the oil in the engine until the iOLM said to change it thereby stacking 5,000 miles or so on oil that does not meet the minimum viscosity requirements thereby increasing wear during the beginning of the engine's life.

Was it because of the 2.5% fuel dilution? Why did you have 2.5% dilution at 1000 miles already? Another great question. Likely due to the rings not being fully seated, but all DI engines have fuel dilution and the 2.7L is no different even with the introduction of MPI for low-speed use. Again, this was 1,000 highway miles where dilution should be the least. Had I not tested the oil, I would have never known.

Maybe if your oil temperatures actually reached correct operating temperature, you wouldn’t have 2.5% dilution in 1000 miles. How could it not have reached correct operating temperature? It was a road trip from the dealership in Dallas where I bought it to Cheyenne, WY and back to Colorado Springs. It was definitely at operating temperature (though I never saw any temperature above 220°F) for hours without stopping.

Not to argue, but sustained oil temperatures of 250°F or higher are not normal. Temperatures can spike that high under a load, but they will almost always drop down very quickly when the load or condition that caused it is removed. If an engine is frequently running oil temperatures at 250°F or higher, then there is a mechanical problem that should be investigated and resolved.

In all of the vehicles I have owned in my life and it has been dozens, I have never owned one that had oil temperatures even come close to 250°F for any length of time. Perhaps I have been lucky enough to own the unicorn of each model. Who knows...
Cheers to the Unicorn 🦄
Sponsored