Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
On the Bronco the temp gauge are the 4 lines under the analog Speed-o-meter. Mine and, I have others have said, normal is 4 bars. Has anyone investigated or had their truck over heat to see if the bars turn to numbers at a given temp.? I ask because on my F-150 I have a similar setup, but @ 230 degrees & up you will see a digital readout.
Sponsored

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Change your display to gauges and you'll get engine coolant temp and transmission temp in numerical read out.

I've had the trans and engine over 230, no change in the bar display.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

On the Bronco the temp gauge are the 4 lines under the analog Speed-o-meter. Mine and, I have others have said, normal is 4 bars. Has anyone investigated or had their truck over heat to see if the bars turn to numbers at a given temp.? I ask because on my F-150 I have a similar setup, but @ 230 degrees & up you will see a digital readout.
There is no digital read out at any coolant temperature.

Only a warning message when it enters stage 1 of fail safe cooling.

Change your display to gauges and you'll get engine coolant temp and transmission temp in numerical read out.

There is no coolant temperature digital read out. What you're looking at is engine oil temperature.

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
vzqhsg

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned

The temp read out on the gauges is for oil and trans, not coolant.

Sponsored
OP
OP
vzqhsg

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
There is no digital read out at any coolant temperature.

Only a warning message when it enters stage 1 of fail safe cooling.

There is no coolant temperature digital read out. What you're looking at is engine oil temperature.
What is stage 1 of fail safe? IS there some place I can read about that? How many stages are there?

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What is stage 1 of fail safe? IS there some place I can read about that? How many stages are there?
Powertrain Cooling
The message center provides a warning message to inform the driver that vehicle performance is reduced to allow the engine to cool. This feature is part of the smart cooling function in the PCM and provides powertrain cooling protection under high ambient temperature conditions.

Fail Safe Cooling
A strategy called fail safe cooling is built into the PCM that controls the engine if it starts to overheat.

Fail safe cooling has two modes: A closed loop mode that relies on a CHT 2 sensor and an open loop mode that relies on an ECT sensor. When the engine starts to overheat, the decision to go into closed loop or open loop mode is made based on sensor availability and sensor failures. Closed loop mode takes priority over open loop. The reason is that a good CHT 2 sensor can reliably track engine temperature at all times, while the ECT sensor fails to do so.

Closed Loop Mode
Stage 1 of the strategy begins if the engine starts to overheat. The CHT 2 sensor transmits a signal to the PCM , which moves the temperature gauge pointer into the red zone.

If the engine is not switched off and the temperature continues to rise, the Powertrain Check Lamp is illuminated. This indicates to the driver that the engine is approaching critical limits and should be stopped. At this point DTC P1285 sets in the PCM and is retrieved using a scan tool.

Stage 2 of the strategy begins if the lamp and temperature gauge are ignored by the driver. The PCM starts to control the engine by cutting out 2 cylinders and restricting load. The RPM will be limited below 3,000 RPM initially then slowly ramped down with time to as low as 800 RPM . Simultaneously the MIL illuminates. This indicates that long term engine damage can occur and vehicle emissions will be affected. At this point DTC P1299 sets in the PCM and is retrieved using a scan tool.

Air is drawn into the deactivated cylinders to help control the temperature of the engine internal components. The deactivated cylinders alternate to allow even cooling of all the cylinders.

Stage 3 of the strategy begins if the engine temperature continues to rise. This results in the engine being totally disabled before major engine damage or seizure occurs. The Powertrain Check Lamp begins to flash, indicating to the driver that the engine will be switched off after 30 seconds. This allows the driver time to choose a suitable parking place.

OP
OP
vzqhsg

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
Powertrain Cooling
The message center provides a warning message to inform the driver that vehicle performance is reduced to allow the engine to cool. This feature is part of the smart cooling function in the PCM and provides powertrain cooling protection under high ambient temperature conditions.

Fail Safe Cooling
A strategy called fail safe cooling is built into the PCM that controls the engine if it starts to overheat.

Fail safe cooling has two modes: A closed loop mode that relies on a CHT 2 sensor and an open loop mode that relies on an ECT sensor. When the engine starts to overheat, the decision to go into closed loop or open loop mode is made based on sensor availability and sensor failures. Closed loop mode takes priority over open loop. The reason is that a good CHT 2 sensor can reliably track engine temperature at all times, while the ECT sensor fails to do so.

Closed Loop Mode
Stage 1 of the strategy begins if the engine starts to overheat. The CHT 2 sensor transmits a signal to the PCM , which moves the temperature gauge pointer into the red zone.

If the engine is not switched off and the temperature continues to rise, the Powertrain Check Lamp is illuminated. This indicates to the driver that the engine is approaching critical limits and should be stopped. At this point DTC P1285 sets in the PCM and is retrieved using a scan tool.

Stage 2 of the strategy begins if the lamp and temperature gauge are ignored by the driver. The PCM starts to control the engine by cutting out 2 cylinders and restricting load. The RPM will be limited below 3,000 RPM initially then slowly ramped down with time to as low as 800 RPM . Simultaneously the MIL illuminates. This indicates that long term engine damage can occur and vehicle emissions will be affected. At this point DTC P1299 sets in the PCM and is retrieved using a scan tool.

Air is drawn into the deactivated cylinders to help control the temperature of the engine internal components. The deactivated cylinders alternate to allow even cooling of all the cylinders.

Stage 3 of the strategy begins if the engine temperature continues to rise. This results in the engine being totally disabled before major engine damage or seizure occurs. The Powertrain Check Lamp begins to flash, indicating to the driver that the engine will be switched off after 30 seconds. This allows the driver time to choose a suitable parking place.
So then instead of seeing an actual temp. on the dash, I will see a warning message to which stage I'm in? I had this happen on my F-150 last summer. We were driving to Colorado, 104 outside temp, pulling my JK on a trailer. We were on I-76 heading to Fort Collins for the night. That road is a slow steady climb in elevation. Don't remember the elevation we had reached, but I noticed the temp gauge reading 245. I stopped and called my dealer. He told me about the shut down process. The temp eventually climbed to 260. What fixed the issue was new coolant, and a different color then what I had. Don't remember the color. Thanks for the info.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So then instead of seeing an actual temp. on the dash, I will see a warning message to which stage I'm in? I had this happen on my F-150 last summer. We were driving to Colorado, 104 outside temp, pulling my JK on a trailer. We were on I-76 heading to Fort Collins for the night. That road is a slow steady climb in elevation. Don't remember the elevation we had reached, but I noticed the temp gauge reading 245. I stopped and called my dealer. He told me about the shut down process. The temp eventually climbed to 260. What fixed the issue was new coolant, and a different color then what I had. Don't remember the color. Thanks for the info.
It won’t say what stage you’re in. It’ll just give you a warning that the vehicle is over heating and the temperature gauge will go up all the way into the red zone.

If you continue to drive and ignore the warning it will continue it’s fail safe operations and eventually force the vehicle to shut down after giving you another warning to pull over safely

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The temp read out on the gauges is for oil and trans, not coolant.
And just how dumb is that? No answer required thanks.

Sponsored

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I use Torque Pro and get a lot of different options for engine diagnostics.

Ford Bronco Temp Gauge 1690372042822

OP
OP
vzqhsg

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use Torque Pro and get a lot of different options for engine diagnostics.

Ford Bronco Temp Gauge 1690372042822
I have a Garmin GPS the has an OBDII blue tooth device. It sinks with the GPS and I get the same type of readings on it. Garmin stopped making the OBDII device, as I was told, because the new electronics have all this data readout. As we have discovered the coolant temp is not there. Is the readout on your phone, or a device mounted in the truck?

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a Garmin GPS the has an OBDII blue tooth device. It sinks with the GPS and I get the same type of readings on it. Garmin stopped making the OBDII device, as I was told, because the new electronics have all this data readout. As we have discovered the coolant temp is not there. Is the readout on your phone, or a device mounted in the truck?
I use an old Galaxy s7 I have on the dash. I use a Bluetooth OBDII devise.

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Where to I get one of those???? 😁
It's an Android app that reads the OBDII Bluetooth dongle.
I have an old S7 with no sim card mounted on the grab handle.
Ford Bronco Temp Gauge 20240108_132322
Sponsored