buckhorn_cortez

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, SHO, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The problem I have with this video is that it puts the Bronco in a bad light. Jeepers are gonna see this and say "look Broncos can't even make it through small mud holes, ha ha". The issue is you have tiny AT tires and (I'm guessing) no lockers. ANY Sasquatch Bronco shouldn't have had a problem with that patch of mud.

I mean the real problem is most out there in the off-road community have Jeeps and look for any reason to tear the Bronco down. The exact same thing would have happened to a stock JL Sport...

I guess I need to start making content since I do stuff off-road that shows the higher end what the Bronco can do (like Holy Cross).
Why do you care what Jeep owners think? A real problem in the off-road community is associating an inanimate object with personal self-worth. It's simply a vehicle, nothing more. Just be concerned with enjoying yourself outdoors, not defining who you are by what you're driving.
Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I feel like I'm always having to prove myself. I battle that every time I go out, and WIN that battle most of the time.
You're the argumentative type? I would not have guessed that...

The reality is in your club (and everywhere else) is that if you saw a Jeep stuck or a Jeep saw you stuck someone would get pulled out. All the banter is just for fun.

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah
One of the things I got really pumped about owning a Bronco was the fact that there's some BLM land basically across the road from where I work - a pretty extensive OHV trail network (largely for dirt bikes) - called Hubbard Mesa Open Space. It doesn't have anything too difficult for the most part, but it's not too bad to kind of learn your vehicle. It's basically on my way home from work, so I was excited about the possibility of swinging through to destress after dealing with teenagers all day.

Yesterday afternoon, I did just that for the first time (although, it's honestly some of the other adults much more than it is the students who cause the stress). We had a pretty rocking thunderstorm last week, and more rain in a single storm than I've ever seen here, so I figured there would be some good mud to get through. At first, things were going pretty great...

But in that last mud hole, I managed to get myself high-centered. I intended to take a line on the high side of the mud hole (passenger), but got pulled in pretty quickly because of how rutted out it was. The water was too deep to see where I needed to adjust. In hindsight, I realized I made three mistakes:

1. I didn't commit hard enough to just pushing through the mud (i.e. momentum). I was really close to pulling out on the initial attempt.
2. I didn't focus enough on keeping the passenger side tires on the high side.
3. Although it very nearly got me out of the mess I was in, backing up was probably a mistake.

As a good friend said, "You're not trying if you don't ever get stuck." I bought a Bronco to have fun doing something I always wanted to get into, not to have it sit in my driveway and look pretty, so getting stuck doesn't seem like too big a deal. Sometimes you just have to learn the hard way, I guess. šŸ˜‚

1000000955.jpg
1000000967.jpg
Yeah, it can happen... Not much you can do if you get highsided!!!

I was expecting the water level to be a bit higher in the wheel...šŸ¤£

Having momentum going into mud / water can give you great results and kicks up the fun factor but be mindful, that water is heading into your engine bay, intake an alternator.

Final thought.... need more tires!!!

Stay out there and have fun!!!šŸ‘šŸ‘

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

ā€¦yes a stock JL Sport also would have been stuck, BUT it does look easy and it looks like the Bronco isn't very good off-road. Is that a fair assessment, NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT, but that's what it is.
Itā€™s not a fair assessment, because there are always a number of factors in a situation like this that canā€™t be accounted for entirely. But objectively, since weā€™re talking about getting high centered in muddy ruts, the Jeep JL Sport has higher clearance and a limited slip. Clearance in these broncos is a real issue. Thatā€™s why a Sasquatch on 35ā€ tires hangs about even with a Rubicon on 33ā€™s.

A real problem in the off-road community is associating an inanimate object with personal self-worth. It's simply a vehicle, nothing more. Just be concerned with enjoying yourself outdoors, not defining who you are by what you're driving.
Amen.

OP
OP
Nate Train

Nate Train

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah

Yeah, it can happen... Not much you can do if you get highsided!!!

I was expecting the water level to be a bit higher in the wheel...šŸ¤£

Having momentum going into mud / water can give you great results and kicks up the fun factor but be mindful, that water is heading into your engine bay, intake an alternator.

Final thought.... need more tires!!!

Stay out there and have fun!!!šŸ‘šŸ‘
Between the Bronco and the PPF I had put on, I'm basically out of money, but bigger tires (and commensurate suspension) are the first things on the list now.

The big thing was getting high centered, which is hard to see in the video - my rear diff was hung up. But the water makes for a really deceptive obstacle. I'd scouted out these ruts several weeks earlier when it was bone dry because I knew I'd want to tackle it wet at some point, so I thought I had it all figured out.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Between the Bronco and the PPF I had put on, I'm basically out of money, but bigger tires (and commensurate suspension) are the first things on the list now.

The big thing was getting high centered, which is hard to see in the video - my rear diff was hung up. But the water makes for a really deceptive obstacle. I'd scouted out these ruts several weeks earlier when it was bone dry because I knew I'd want to tackle it wet at some point, so I thought I had it all figured out.
Yeah about the tires, wheel with what you got, do as much as you can, of course you'll learn a lot. But it'll make you better with the limitations you've got. Then, when you do upgrade, not only will you be better, you'll also be more confident doing some things you may not have.

DougF

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One of the things I got really pumped about owning a Bronco was the fact that there's some BLM land basically across the road from where I work - a pretty extensive OHV trail network (largely for dirt bikes) - called Hubbard Mesa Open Space. It doesn't have anything too difficult for the most part, but it's not too bad to kind of learn your vehicle. It's basically on my way home from work, so I was excited about the possibility of swinging through to destress after dealing with teenagers all day.

Yesterday afternoon, I did just that for the first time (although, it's honestly some of the other adults much more than it is the students who cause the stress). We had a pretty rocking thunderstorm last week, and more rain in a single storm than I've ever seen here, so I figured there would be some good mud to get through. At first, things were going pretty great...

But in that last mud hole, I managed to get myself high-centered. I intended to take a line on the high side of the mud hole (passenger), but got pulled in pretty quickly because of how rutted out it was. The water was too deep to see where I needed to adjust. In hindsight, I realized I made three mistakes:

1. I didn't commit hard enough to just pushing through the mud (i.e. momentum). I was really close to pulling out on the initial attempt.
2. I didn't focus enough on keeping the passenger side tires on the high side.
3. Although it very nearly got me out of the mess I was in, backing up was probably a mistake.

As a good friend said, "You're not trying if you don't ever get stuck." I bought a Bronco to have fun doing something I always wanted to get into, not to have it sit in my driveway and look pretty, so getting stuck doesn't seem like too big a deal. Sometimes you just have to learn the hard way, I guess. šŸ˜‚

1000000955.jpg
1000000967.jpg
Iā€™m just loving the new ā€œpaintā€ job. Should come stock on all new Broncos.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Itā€™s not a fair assessment, because there are always a number of factors in a situation like this that canā€™t be accounted for entirely. But objectively, since weā€™re talking about getting high centered in muddy ruts, the Jeep JL Sport has higher clearance and a limited slip. Clearance in these broncos is a real issue. Thatā€™s why a Sasquatch on 35ā€ tires hangs about even with a Rubicon on 33ā€™s.

Amen.
The Ford Bronco, however, has 11.5 inches of ground clearance with the available Sasquatch package, or up to 13.1 inches on the Bronco Raptor. Opting for the more available, non-35ā€³ tire options, the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon has 10.8 inches of ground clearance
https://www.airportjeep.com/jeep-wr...nco, however, has,inches on the Bronco Raptor.

Seems like the Sasquatch has the advantage of about an inch. But I'm interested at what point on the underside they are measuring.

Sponsored

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

https://www.airportjeep.com/jeep-wrangler-vs-ford-bronco/#:~:text=Off-Road Capability&text=The Ford Bronco, however, has,inches on the Bronco Raptor.

Seems like the Sasquatch has the advantage of about an inch. But I'm interested at what point on the underside they are measuring.
Theyā€™re definitely not measuring from the rear lower control arm mounts.

Iā€™m not trying to talk bad about the 6G. Iā€™ve had my non-Sas base on 33ā€ M/Ts in places I couldnā€™t have imagined getting out of with my old Jeep Wrangler SE.

Last edited:

SoDak1623

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F150, 2022 Badlands MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gotta love the doomsayers with the all the nonsense about what jeepers or anyone else might think. Really projecting some insecurities there. What someone does with their bronco doesn't affect me or anyone else.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Theyā€™re definitely not measuring from the rear lower control arm mounts.

Iā€™m not trying to talk bad about the 6G. Iā€™ve had my non-Sas base on 33ā€ M/Ts in places I couldnā€™t have imagined getting out of with my old Jeep TJ sport.
I canā€™t believe they are measuring from the bottom of the pumpkins either.

OP
OP
Nate Train

Nate Train

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Nate Train So, how did you get unstuck?
Oh! I guess I forgot to include that in my post. It was on the video description, but I neglected to put it here.

I had to get my little axe out and start hacking at sage branches to try and make some makeshift traction pads. I feel like I could have pulled out with that, but a pilot car (a Tacoma) for a truck hauling a roto-grader happened to be coming by, and he had a winch. He got me out.

@Dom