Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Land Rover Discovery
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know this topic has been addressed before, but wanted to get some opinions on my specific scenario.

I don’t currently have any specific need for towing, but want to provide myself the most flexibility in the future. Eventually I would like to have some sort of overland/camping trailer that I can bring to increase storage and flexibility of the two door.

Ultimately I would like to end up with 7 and 4 pin towing for my 2 door badlands which I’ve just received a VIN for. I did however drop the tow option in an effort to speed along the process since it’s now been almost two years to the day since reserving. So now I’ve got a couple things to consider.

Granger is able to add the tow hitch and 4 pin wiring harness. They can also add the brake controller but the 7 pin isn’t being offered by Ford at this time, so I’m told. Benefits to this would being able to have it installed and rolled into the car payment. But would it be possible/straightforward to add the 7 pin harness in the future? If not, obviously there’s no need for the brake controller.

Alternatively, should I just wait until there is an aftermarket solution and just pay out of pocket? I’ve see the work @flip and others have done looking into this and I don’t think it’s something I could tackle on my own at this point

Or do I just accept rolling with the 4 pin set up?
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Not what I did, but...add the Towing Option ..at this point I wouldn't think it will add much to your wait.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The hitch and the 4-pin wiring harness are offered via Ford Accessories, so it will be a "factory-like" installation. This is likely what Granger is offering you. As you mentioned, there is no official Ford solution for the 7-pin other than the factory-installed option, but there are several aftermarket options which you can use. Curt, for example, offers multiple 7-pin options.

Installation is not difficult at all, but honestly it depends how comfortable you are with working on your vehicle. To install it properly you will have to take out a bunch of interior trim pieces and run a cable up to the front of the vehicle for the 30 Amp power supply required for the 7-pin connector. Some people have no problem doing that, while others will be nervous just thinking about it.

In most states, you do not legally need trailer brakes until the trailer is over 3000 lbs. Given the Bronco only has 3500 lbs of towing capacity, most people could probably get by with never using trailer brakes on their vehicle. That said, I noticed your profile says "California", and for California it is 1500 lbs. So if you actually live in California, you will need trailer brakes for just about anything other than a lightweight utility trailer.

My advice... I would just wait until you have a specific need to tow. If you end up changing your mind and decide to buy a boat, for example, you don't need a 7-pin or a trailer brake controller anyway because boat trailers have surge brakes rather than electric brakes. Plus the longer you wait the greater of a chance someone will release a Bronco-specific kit.

But you can always check out this post here for some ideas other folks have come up with.

Not what I did, but...add the Towing Option ..at this point I wouldn't think it will add much to your wait.
Too late, has a VIN.

OP
OP
21BroncoFlyer

21BroncoFlyer

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The hitch and the 4-pin wiring harness are offered via Ford Accessories, so it will be a "factory-like" installation. This is likely what Granger is offering you. As you mentioned, there is no official Ford solution for the 7-pin other than the factory-installed option, but there are several aftermarket options which you can use. Curt, for example, offers multiple 7-pin options.

Installation is not difficult at all, but honestly it depends how comfortable you are with working on your vehicle. To install it properly you will have to take out a bunch of interior trim pieces and run a cable up to the front of the vehicle for the 30 Amp power supply required for the 7-pin connector. Some people have no problem doing that, while others will be nervous just thinking about it.

In most states, you do not legally need trailer brakes until the trailer is over 3000 lbs. Given the Bronco only has 3500 lbs of towing capacity, most people could probably get by with never using trailer brakes on their vehicle. That said, I noticed your profile says "California", and for California it is 1500 lbs. So if you actually live in California, you will need trailer brakes for just about anything other than a lightweight utility trailer.

My advice... I would just wait until you have a specific need to tow. If you end up changing your mind and decide to buy a boat, for example, you don't need a 7-pin or a trailer brake controller anyway because boat trailers have surge brakes rather than electric brakes. Plus the longer you wait the greater of a chance someone will release a Bronco-specific kit.

But you can always check out this post here for some ideas other folks have come up with.

Too late, has a VIN.
Thanks for the response. I think I’m currently leaving towards waiting and doing it on my own down the road. Like you said, eventually someone will release a bronco specific kit.

Your comment on the other thread about the overlanding trailer and brake controller is what swayed me. Maybe someone will come out with something aftermarket that integrates the hitch into a rear bumper as well.

OP
OP
21BroncoFlyer

21BroncoFlyer

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Too late, has a VIN.
Do you think it would be beneficial to go ahead and get the brake controller installed and wait to install the wiring harness myself for the 7 pin? Figured it would save me a few steps if it doesn’t cause any issue.

Sponsored

Raynfeathyr

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 1st Edition, Mazda 6, Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Not in relation to my Bronco but I have a trailer brake controller that stays with the trailer, so any vehicle that tows it, just need a cigarette lighter for powering a bluetooth handheld to set brake power according to needs. Of course, you still need a 7 pin on the rig, but if you need a controller in the future for a trailer you purchase/have, you can look into one of these.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not in relation to my Bronco but I have a trailer brake controller that stays with the trailer, so any vehicle that tows it, just need a cigarette lighter for powering a bluetooth handheld to set brake power according to needs. Of course, you still need a 7 pin on the rig, but if you need a controller in the future for a trailer you purchase/have, you can look into one of these.
A "link" to where someone could review and/or buy such product would be very helpful........ just saying....
Sponsored